• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I've been having conversations with coworkers about this terrible law. I know getting any group to agree on anything is virtually impossible, but the conversations made me wonder how the majority of the 2A community would feel about adding the language "in the commission of a violent crime" to this, and for that matter, all gun legislation. Meaning, of course you can't be on government property, but the 100 yard restrictions, magazine capacity restrictions, pistol brace restrictions, etc. would only apply if in the act of committing a crime of violence. Those charges would serve as an enhancement to the primary charge. If done correctly, I don't think I would be opposed to that.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I've been having conversations with coworkers about this terrible law. I know getting any group to agree on anything is virtually impossible, but the conversations made me wonder how the majority of the 2A community would feel about adding the language "in the commission of a violent crime" to this, and for that matter, all gun legislation. Meaning, of course you can't be on government property, but the 100 yard restrictions, magazine capacity restrictions, pistol brace restrictions, etc. would only apply if in the act of committing a crime of violence. Those charges would serve as an enhancement to the primary charge. If done correctly, I don't think I would be opposed to that.
    Law abiding W&C holders would be unaffected.

Use of firearm in commission of a felony is already illegal though, with no limit as to where is occors.

So it would still be feel good nonsense that I would oppose.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    That's my point.

Law abiding Wear & Carry holders would be unaffected as opposed to the garbage they're passing that affects only Wear & Carry holders. It may be "feel good" but it would allow you to defend yourself and your family without the threat of losing your freedom or right to carry. But then again, this law is entirely to exclude the protections that the W&C provide in MoCo, so it'll never happen. I guess it would be like leaving it the way it was.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I read that the same way I read, "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger." Sounds like they're saying not to worry about it because it hasn't happened to you... yet. But when it does...?

If there's no threat of prosecution then what's the point of the law, and further, what's the point of expressly prohibiting W&C holders? Are they inviting us to get comfortable only to snatch the rug out?

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I am fairly certain Elrich did indeed say they intend to enforce this law. I'll have to look though his email messages to find it.

I hope the courts see through their doublespeak.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I am fairly certain Elrich did indeed say they intend to enforce this law. I'll have to look though his email messages to find it.

Hopefully what he said or didn't say is considered irrelevant by the court. If there's no written policy specifically stating the law won't be enforced, there is no policy that the law won't be enforced and it's assumed to be enforceable because it's on the books. And there almost certainly is no such written, promulgated, policy.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Meanwhile , as noted , among the populace , it generates contempt for the law , and creates very steep, and very slippery slope of contempt for other laws , and public order generally .
    I agree completely. Passing criminal statues with no intent of enforcing them, in order to virtue signal by debate and passage, is as reprehensible as using a position as a government official for personal gain.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Hard to enforce when most of the Moco police dept. probably doesn’t even know about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You might have missed the point that the only purpose of this law was to remove the rights of legal legitimate holders of carry permits.

It's the virtue signaling of the county council with a big middle finger to the Supreme Court and those of us who support this basic human right.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Apparently there's no need for us to worry because there's no credible threat of prosecution. I mean, it's only an enacted law that would result in a substantial prison sentence and lifetime ban on carrying, but not to worry - It's not actually enforced.... So no standing for you, peasant.
    Just avoid SS and white flint mcdonalds(aka the walking dead) then pray no one singles you out during your day to day where you have to use it.

I think if anyone whos still choosing to carry needs to reassess what situation is worth the backlash if you do use it in a red zone. If you or friends/family are not directly targeted and can leave than do that. Otherwise lay low and dont print.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My favorite part is on Page 13:

"Plaintiffs in this action have not alleged similar specific statements by Montgomery County public officials necessary to establish an imminent and credible threat of prosecution. As such, Plaintiffs have alleged nothing more than hypothetical, future harm which is insufficient to establish Article III standing for a pre-enforcement challenge."

All of those hearings on the Bill. All of the testimony on the Bill from the leftist grifters. Even Elrich's recent comments on the litigation where he said MoCo "is not the wild west" and is "not some lawless anarchic country":

Even with all that, MoCo's lawyers are willing to say that there haven't been any specific statements by Montgomery County Public Officials necessary to establish an imminent and credible threat of prosecution.

CC: @esqappellate - Get them with their own words.

DC just did the same thing related to carry on the metro and the Obama judge tossed it because of standing. The plaintiffs couldn't point to THEM being arrested or charged and couldn't point to other cases of CONCEALED CARRY permit holders getting arrested and charged so as to show the risk was likely.

WTF? The law says if I do something, I will be arrested. I am in the class, because I am a permit holder. But because activity I am specific barred from doing hasn't been shown to lead to MY arrest or other people's arrest, because they FOLLOW THE LAW, means I don't have standing to say I have been harmed by the law by prohibiting behavior?

That is tortured reasoning if I've ever heard it. I can grok not having standing for someone without a permit. Or not having standing if you are a New Jersey resident and have never been to DC, but I just don't get it otherwise.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    DC just did the same thing related to carry on the metro and the Obama judge tossed it because of standing. The plaintiffs couldn't point to THEM being arrested or charged and couldn't point to other cases of CONCEALED CARRY permit holders getting arrested and charged so as to show the risk was likely.

WTF? The law says if I do something, I will be arrested. I am in the class, because I am a permit holder. But because activity I am specific barred from doing hasn't been shown to lead to MY arrest or other people's arrest, because they FOLLOW THE LAW, means I don't have standing to say I have been harmed by the law by prohibiting behavior?

That is tortured reasoning if I've ever heard it. I can grok not having standing for someone without a permit. Or not having standing if you are a New Jersey resident and have never been to DC, but I just don't get it otherwise.
    Hopefully the plaintiffs will appeal. I could see SCOTUS holding a bunch of these "nuisance law" cases to be GVRed with the next big 2A case, similar to the four cases held and GVRed with Bruen. It's going to take time, though.

Maybe in the meantime some unlucky person will get arrested and have a chance to be the test case with standing. But I could see DC then dropping charges to kill off any standing to pursue a legal assault on the law using Bruen now that they've seen the position of the DC Court.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hopefully the plaintiffs will appeal. I could see SCOTUS holding a bunch of these "nuisance law" cases to be GVRed with the next big 2A case, similar to the four cases held and GVRed with Bruen. It's going to take time, though.

Maybe in the meantime some unlucky person will get arrested and be the test case with standing. But I could see DC then dropping charges to kill off standing to pursue a legal assault on the law using Bruen.
    I don't think they'd be able to succeed in getting it mooted. You can show injury the moment you have been arrested, even if the charges are dropped. They'd have to remove the prohibition on carry on the metro to have a chance of mooting the law.

I can't speak to the DC appeals court, but I don't see the judge's interpretation of standing succeeding in this case. Otherwise, the ONLY way to challenge a law is if you are arrested/charged/fined under the law. Prohibiting otherwise legal actions you would be LIKELY to take if the law was not there, could never allowed unless you choose to break the law, AND are actually arrested/penalized for it. Heck, it would be one thing if the state could point to a law that hasn't been enforced in ages and ages and there is no actual indication that it ever will be enforced.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That’s like saying the plaintiffs in Bruen would not have standing because they had not yet been arrested for carrying without a permit they could not get.

Where did those idiots go to law school?

Oh that’s right, Ivy League trash generators

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    That’s like saying the plaintiffs in Bruen would not have standing because they had not yet been arrested for carrying without a permit they could not get.

Where did those idiots go to law school?

Oh that’s right, Ivy League trash generators
    I’ll try to be fair.

Didn’t they need to find or manufacture a Roe before they could have a Roe v Wade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom