• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The police are undermanned and overutilised. So long as one is discreet and doesn't have to draw their weapon I fail to see a problem, concealed being concealed and all.

I'm thinking the law was simple pandering to the base. It doesn't need to be signed because the county is going to kick the can into the GA's purview in another month or so. They are aware that it's unlikely that a hgp carrier will actually need to exercise a permit and if it does happen they can flog it to emphasise their anti position. They win either way.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How does pocketing a passed bill work at the county level? Comparing to, say, the it-becomes-law-if-you-ignore-it arrangement at the general assembly/governor level.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I will be truly shocked if he doesn't sign it. I think it was more of a holiday/red tape issue than anything else. Would love to be wrong since my permit will probably come in the mail monday or tuesday...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I will be truly shocked if he doesn't sign it. I think it was more of a holiday/red tape issue than anything else. Would love to be wrong since my permit will probably come in the mail monday or tuesday...
    I'd like to think that he was advised about the risk of getting sued personally over the civil rights issue. Certainly there are people in MoCo who would delight in bankrupting him if they could.

That in itself would send a message to the GA about over-reach.

A guy can dream . . .

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    How does pocketing a passed bill work at the county level? Comparing to, say, the it-becomes-law-if-you-ignore-it arrangement at the general assembly/governor level.
    Edited for new cite:

I did find this -

“Legislation neither approved nor disapproved by the County Executive becomes law on the 14th day after Council enactment.”

(Scroll down to Q about “Can the County Executive veto legislation?”)

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    But also setting up the Council to take responsibility for the inevitable court loss ahead instead of eating any responsibility himself. Stay classy, MoCo!

The majority voters won't care; in fact, they'll applaud the brave bold Council, sticking it to the nasty Supreme Court.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Edited for new cite:

I did find this -

“Legislation neither approved nor disapproved by the County Executive becomes law on the 14th day after Council enactment.”

i'll pretend i never saw this.

I remember how green everyone was in my class. I would say 34 out 40 were new to guns.

I doubt they even know council voted nor would they know this FAQ

Anyone know about the VA man not knowing his VA permit wasn't valid in MD (specifically baltimore) and ended up some saving someone and willfully admitted to having his gun. Judge let him off with probation.

Lets see how quick till someone is written up

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    According to Montgomery County LIMS, Elrich still hasn't signed it. (Latest action shows it was enacted/passed by the MoCo Council on 11/15/2022)
    If you look at some of the other enacted bills, it appears that they are signed 2 weeks after enactment. For this bill that would be the 29th

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Anyone know about the VA man not knowing his VA permit wasn't valid in MD (specifically baltimore) and ended up some saving someone and willfully admitted to having his gun. Judge let him off with probation.
    But that's still a conviction on a crime that prohibits him from ever owning a gun again. A pyrrhic victory, I'd say.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    But that's still a conviction on a crime that prohibits him from ever owning a gun again. A pyrrhic victory, I'd say.
    I believe it was actually probation before judgement, so once that's completed his record will be expunged and he will never have been found guilty of the charge (since there's been no judgement). So should be fine.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Edited for new cite:

I did find this -

:-(

Nice find… Unfortunately. Guess this means we’ll be seeing an update from MSI this week.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Carrying at work isnt a public place right? lol. I dont work in retail or the healthcare field.

Dont worry boys and girls. We all know this law wont last...we made it a long time leaving our homes unarmed and to finally get used to carrying all day everyday pisses everyone off. NY is a great standard of how things will play out, hold on for 4 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom