• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    This is the best response they possibly could have made. They have effectively said “because no special purpose is required to carry, we have created a law to prevent carry.” In effect, they are arguing that they don’t want you to carry, and have had to come up with a new reason to prevent general bearing of arms. This eviscerates their case. It won’t go well for them in the inevitable appeal to the Supreme Court.

Yep, I'm very happy that they decided to put this in. It almost makes me wonder if the lawyers are thinking "crap, we didn't actually want to get past the TRO/PI stage for a case we all know we're going to ultimately lose, we were just wanting to put on a good show for the council... quick, how do we torpedo our case without getting fired?"
    Agreed on both counts.

We legal carriers weren't a safety concern for MoCo until we no longer had to provide Maryland a "good and substantial reason" for the permit and there were many more of us carrying. Suddenly we're now a safety concern for MoCo even though we're going through the same background and training requirements as we did before Maryland went "Shall Issue".

I'm so glad they put this in writing because I agree: it absolutely destroys their case here.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And 13 times less likely to commit a gun crime than off duty LEO who are still carrying in MoCo.
    axNlbojK_700w_0.jpg

Triggered.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

Happened shortly after midnight on November 14, 2022.

If only Bill 21-22E had already been in effect (Elrich signed it on November 28, 2022) this man would have followed it and not carried a handgun to Clyde's, which is within 100 Yards of the Barlow Building which contains medical offices licensed by the Maryland Department of Health. ("community health center, including any health care facility or community-based program licensed by the Maryland Department of Health")

I wonder if they would have actually charged him under it anyway. Would have given standing for enforcement....

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    And 13 times less likely to commit a gun crime than off duty LEO who are still carrying in MoCo.

My opinion on off duty/retired LEOs getting special treatment under the law says the law is unlawful. If a law is constitutional, everyone should have that same right.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My opinion on off duty/retired LEOs getting special treatment under the law says the law is unlawful. If a law is constitutional, everyone should have that same right.
    Absolutely true. The Consitution says there are no classes of citizen.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I believe his point wasn’t about any special carve-outs for current/past LEOs - it’s that, statistically, permit holders are SO cautious and broadly law-abiding that their crimes are so infrequent as to be even just a fraction of the number of crimes that even sworn officers commit. That’s how low a risk us permit holders represent, and a measure of how extra preposterous is the notion that we’re the cause of Gun Violins In The Streetzes.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thank you. Every single document you produce surrounding both the county and state laws are monuments to reason and snapshots of how absurd those two dumpster fires are. I appreciate your eloquence in those filings, and the hundreds of hours they represent. I despair a wee bit knowing that your opponents truly don't care about the substance of the matter, and will just use as much of your time as possible to enhance the misery. It is the good fight, and thanks you to you and MSI, well fought.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FullBackBob

Latest threads

Top Bottom