• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Hey, does anyone launch model rockets anywhere near Severn (Odenton, Gambrills, Hanover, Glen Burnie) area. My grands want to get into Model rockets after the two oldest did with Scouts. I'm thinking maybe GORC park or the Piney Orchard Elementary fields. The Severn Danza park is right around the corner but they are really busy on the weekends. I'm not sure if the schools would have any problems with launches, we had some push-back in SC doing RC aircraft on school property.
    Try these guys

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I've emailed the Elementary School behind my house and haven't received a reply yet. I'll call next and reference the email if they don't respond.

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Yep, I've been known to let a J motor rip once in a while too.. Narhams is still in business flying at Old National Pike Park, Goddard is still launching, and MDRA is a great place too. Goddard is the only public launch within the DCA FRZ as far as I know. They have a standing annual waiver they can call in to activate with 1 hr notice and they'll issue a NOTAM. NOVAAR in VA is a great club. If you want a bit more of a road trip, PSC in Grove City PA flies on Webber Farm which is an awsome place to fly.
    Sadly like rifle ranges, development is eating up most of the space needed to fly, and no one wants to take a chance on the liability thing, even though sanctioned NAR sections or members can provide a $5,000,000 insurance certificate made out to the landowner. I don't fly nearly as much as I used too, but I'm still active with Narhams and have a mountain of rocket stuff all over the house :rolleyes:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Bring up memories when we were kids in the country little or no restrictions. Brother built an "OMEGA" 3 stage D rocket. We got all the staging back but lost payload capsule. Supposedly it could hit 1 mile high and we lost track.

About 3 weeks later a farmer stopped by and gave me the capsule. He said found this in his field. I reckon this belongs to you boys... He lived 3 miles away.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    It drives me a bit nuts that the AACO gov has Model Rocketry specifically restricted in all county parks.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I remember launching a rocket at Germantown elementary school back in the mid 60's (when we were launching men into space and going to the moon). I would regularly launch rockets at my uncles farm in Crownsville every July 4th. Most weren't recovered probably landed in the corn fields and the parachute just was too hard to see from the ground
    :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom