• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    MoCo won't be happy until the entire county is paved over, developed and taxed accordingly...and then start tearing things down and rebuilding so assessments can grow more along with the rate. Wash...Rinse...Repeat.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Can't see them ever getting voted out due to property taxes. Likely more renters than owners in monkey and that ratio is getting further skewed towards those with no skin in the game.
    mpollan1 and all the other Monkey County folk here.

Believe it or not, I used to know a good deal about MC and today I think all I know is from the mentions that you guys make here about the taxes, crimes, legislators, and demographics etc.

I used to date an amazing girl from the Derwood area. When we used to go to Lake Needwood, and to visit my college buddy off of 193, I'd get to know Rockville a good bit. Had another buddy out in Germantown/Gaithersburg area too. Then another college buddy in Olney. Being from Cockeysville, I logged many miles up and down Rts 27, 97, 108, 70, 355, 193, New Hampshire, Arcola Ave. ( I still can't believe I remember that road name after nearly 40 years since I was on it last.)

I knew Gburg and Germantown was super crowded traffic wise back then. I saw the writing on the wall as if I ever married that girl and wound up a Moco resident, I definitely did not want to live in Rockville, or the 2 G's.
    Derwood, Shady Grove were nice areas then, but I can't speak of them today. My other favorite areas were out farther north like on the edge of Burtonsville, Laytonsville, Damascus and a place called Sunshine.

Of course when I was running those roads was way back in '86-'88, so A TON has changed. I see that ICC Rt 200 is a stone's throw from her place in Derwood. I can't even imagine that the roads and housing and business explosion has been like since then. I can only say that from what I read in here, Not good.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    RFB, I had no Idea you were so funny before or since meeting you at Essen Room.

You are my kind of Peeps. In 1986-88 there was no Needwood. That would happen when the wind blew and I was in the vicinity of any cute girl. Our teen and early 20's were the best of times, for sure.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That's a drop in the bucket. Barely. They are something like 20k units behind at this point, and the gap is growing.

*****Waaaay above that. I think it was 20k units estimated perhaps just before Covid hit, and in the county the need for more housing has just gone up and up. There are neighborhoods with *lots* of illegal renters, especially in areas like Montgomery Village, Gaithersburg, and parts of Germantown. Absolutely degrades the quality of life in a neighborhood where all of the visitor parking is always full, the schools get overcrowded and you see homes with 3 bedrooms, and like 15 mattresses in the bedrooms, plus folks coming in and out of homes 24/7.

The Council has NOT done a good job with this issue and they seem to just kick the can down the road for future administrations to deal with.

Crazy

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    MoCo won't be happy until the entire county is paved over, developed and taxed accordingly...and then start tearing things down and rebuilding so assessments can grow more along with the rate. Wash...Rinse...Repeat.
    This is a very inaccurate read of the situation. Their problem is that they're not paving and developing enough, basically. Marc Elrich is the king of the zero-growth NIMBYs. He just hasn't actually figured out how to make it zero growth

ADUs get floated around as a solution, mostly because they're politically favorable. Unfortunately, the only way they make economic sense is to buy existing housing stock and turning them into multiple ADU flophouses. Building new ADUs is a terrible idea from a financial perspective unless the county is willing to offer very substantial tax breaks/credit.

There is no substitute for building new housing.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Well, the fun thing about MoCo is that they're term limited anyways. So you'd hope they'd have a little more bravery than they currently exhibit.
    Unfortunately term limits had just proven to eventually replace incumbents with even more progressive liberal lawmakers. Talk about unintended consequences...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Well, the fun thing about MoCo is that they're term limited anyways. So you'd hope they'd have a little more bravery than they currently exhibit.
    Craig Rice left due to term limits.
    Erlich has created a new position and appointed Rice to it at 175K a year + benefits. Around 214K

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Running out of space to build. Where is there space. The largest open space in the county is the Ag Reserve. Here in Poolesville, we tap out at around 6400 people due to the water well capacity. The only way that this number could be increased is if county water were to be run out here and our sewage treatment was increased.

Lake Forrest will be another King Farm-Kentlands-Crown type of build. Residential (town homes and apartments)

Remaining large properties and old farms along River road and Travillah are being developed in to multi million $$ homes

The taxes come from home ownership, single family homes, townhomes and condos.

Elrich, Mink and Jawando seem to want to punish/tax homeowners to fund assistance for others. They seem to think that home owners of house with values over 500K are wealthy. We are not.

ALL and I do mean ALL of my friends here in Poolesville plan to leave MoCo as soon as the kids graduate HS. Most will leave MD entirely.

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2023
    MoCo
    Elrich should be ashamed for how he’s portraying this.
    Blaming the school system for tax increases, so that he can continue to make teachers the villains when they want a basic cost-of-living wage increase that the county agreed to years ago but re-negged on.

Wouldn’t need unions if politicians weren’t worthless sacks of shit…

A real grift to act like he can’t balance a budget any other way, or like there’s no possible other source of money for schools… meanwhile continuing to spend tax dollars on more EV chargers to give people free gas, and so on and so on…

I guess this is what people voted for??

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    What the heck is up with MC raising taxes, can't carry anywhere and asking businesses get security and the business has to pay isn't that what MC taxes are for, it's bad enough in Md. but what the heck are they thinking
    the Dear Leader has proposed a 10 cent property tax increase.
    $400k home = an increase of $400.00
    Trying to raise $220 million for the schools.

I thought that our taxes were supposed to pay for schools
    I thought that the Lottery was supposed to pay for schools
    I thought that gambling was supposed to pay for the schools
    I thought that the Feds gave states/counties an S-load of $$ to pay for schools during Covid
    I though that sports betting was supposed to pat for the schools
    I thought that Cannabis revenue taxes was supposed to pay for the schools

Now, a couple of days before Erlich proposed this increase, he gave Craig Rice a $175k a year salaried job with full benefits, to be the Special Projects Manager. Gave it to him, this position was not posted for any other county employee or outside qualified person to apply to. The County must have been flush with money a week ago.
    just think of the million dollar homes in MC what their gonna be paying and money from the lottery goes to the Stadium Authority, who ever the hell that is and I have no idea where the gambling money goes

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    Running out of space to build. Where is there space. The largest open space in the county is the Ag Reserve. Here in Poolesville, we tap out at around 6400 people due to the water well capacity. The only way that this number could be increased is if county water were to be run out here and our sewage treatment was increased.

Lake Forrest will be another King Farm-Kentlands-Crown type of build. Residential (town homes and apartments)

Remaining large properties and old farms along River road and Travillah are being developed in to multi million $$ homes

Elrich, Mink and Jawando seem to want to punish/tax homeowners to fund assistance for others. They seem to think that home owners of house with values over 500K are wealthy. We are not.

ALL and I do mean ALL of my friends here in Poolesville plan to leave MoCo as soon as the kids graduate HS. Most will leave MD entirely.

Everyone in MC better get the Anbesol because it's gonna start to hurt.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Sociopaths the lot of 'em. Term limits can encourage folks to do the right thing or embolden them to do the wrong thing knowing they are out regardless. MoCo chooses the latter seemingly each and every time.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    This is a very inaccurate read of the situation. Their problem is that they're not paving and developing enough, basically. Marc Elrich is the king of the zero-growth NIMBYs. He just hasn't actually figured out how to make it zero growth

ADUs get floated around as a solution, mostly because they're politically favorable. Unfortunately, the only way they make economic sense is to buy existing housing stock and turning them into multiple ADU flophouses. Building new ADUs is a terrible idea from a financial perspective unless the county is willing to offer very substantial tax breaks/credit.

The county has opened up ADUs such that each and every house in MoCo can have a basement or whatever apartment for renters. It was up until recently no ADU could be nearer that 300 feet to another. Now every fvcking house can have an ADU. R200 has been completely redefined. Run a business out of your house? Sure just pay a fee. Screw your neighbors and the neighborhood.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The county has opened up ADUs such that each and every house in MoCo can have a basement or whatever apartment for renters. It was up until recently no ADU could be nearer that 300 feet to another. Now every fvcking house can have an ADU. R200 has been completely redefined. Run a business out of your house? Sure just pay a fee. Screw your neighbors and the neighborhood.
    Yeah, I agree that the way they implemented ADUs didn't really do much to actually build new stock, it just encouraged people to essentially overcrowd what's there. Which is dumb.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Running out of space, indeed.

When we moved to MoCo in the early 1970s, we had a couple horses that a lady kept for us on her property off Layhill Rd, near Argyll CC. Used to go riding in the huge undeveloped area around there, up to where the Trolley Museum was, and still is. Place filled up with developments and they ran the ICC through it. We moved the animals to a place on Muncaster Mill, until that got crowded out,

We used to go to the tack store in Olney, when that was about the only thing there was in Olney. Now it's all developed.

But not to worry; they'll never run out of room to house the Tax Cattle. They'll just tear down neighborhoods and zone them for 20-story vertical Revenue Towers, like they did in Wheaton.

Eventually it will all be just as livable.

You understand that it's all because of the federal govt, right? Because that's the only reason MD is what it has become. Trillions of dollars pass through DC every year, and enough of it slops out of the trough to create jobs to absorb the governmental expansion. Because if every dept in govt doesn't expand, it can't justify its existence. It gets bigger and bigger, and does less and less, ever more inefficiently. This requires money, and what you might call "seat meat" to fill all the unproductive offices.

They gotta live somewhere, and they require infrastructure. that's what MoCo and the colonies surrounding DC are for. There's always a bunch of folks with an "in" who arrange to get fat on the growth, and a bunch of their friends in local and state govt who share in the wealth for facilitating the process.

All is cool, as long as there's plenty of surplus cash floating around the Seat of Govt. Eventually the rot starts a decaying process, and it all gets ugly. That's where we are now.

dickyvee

Dec 3, 2019
    MoCo Md

100% true!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom