• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I understand the philosophy, ".45acp, because shooting twice is just silly," and, "9mm is .45 set to stun," but those are from, like, the 90's, man! Aren't 21st Century defensive 9mm loadings a whole different situation? :shrug: I thought big LE agencies were going back to 9mm.

I've even heard whisperings that modern .380 packs a punch now.

However...I might take a serious look at a .45acp Sig P365... :innocent0

(or, on the other end of the spectrum, when they make one in .30 carry that probably holds 20 rounds)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Most of my years as a LEO I was restricted to revolvers and .38 Special. I never felt underarmed with one...but once we transitioned to self-loaders I was issued a .40 and usually carried a .45 off-duty. I still never felt underarmed.

I feel the same with the 9mm...it's a good round and will do the job if I do mine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’d rather put multiple rounds on target quickly than deal with a lot of muzzle flip/recoil. That’s just my thought process. I’ll probably stick with 9mm, unless I have a .45 that goes better with my outfit.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I’d rather put multiple rounds on target quickly than deal with a lot of muzzle flip/recoil. That’s just my thought process. I’ll probably stick with 9mm, unless I have a .45 that goes better with my outfit.
    Come on now...if fashion is a consideration at all, it's gotta be .40!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I understand the philosophy, ".45acp, because shooting twice is just silly," and, "9mm is .45 set to stun," but those are from, like, the 90's, man! Aren't 21st Century defensive 9mm loadings a whole different situation? :shrug: I thought big LE agencies were going back to 9mm.

I've even heard whisperings that modern .380 packs a punch now.

However...I might take a serious look at a .45acp Sig P365... :innocent0

(or, on the other end of the spectrum, when they make one in .30 carry that probably holds 20 rounds)

I'm an unapologetic .45 ACP fanboi. America.

That said, high quality defensive ammo in the commonly accepted defensive calibers...there's not a real difference between them. I would happily carry a 9mm as opposed to a sharp stick.

Well, maybe in addition to a sharp stick. Because shooting twice is silly. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Understanding that the FBI gets a lot of hate around here... They have the research budget and agencies that can afford to follow their lead. They did indeed go back to 9mm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Understanding that the FBI gets a lot of hate around here... They have the research budget and agencies that can afford to follow their lead. They did indeed go back to 9mm.
    I believe they cited advances in technology, among other things.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Much of the inspiration to return to 9mm from .40 was cost per round, less recoil, faster times back on target. Translating to more rounds on target, hopefully.

The same reasons they dropped the 10mm in favor of the .40.

The reason that Miami made them go to the 10mm was multiple factors as well. The agents were mostly armed with revolvers with 6 round cap, they wanted more rounds, the 9mm did not have the stopping power they craved.

The late return to 9mm is largely due to the above listed reasons, but tied up with new bullet technology to excuse the change for them.

IANAFBIA

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The FBI used a very specific set of parameters…or compromises to be accurate in setting the specs for their new round. It was up to manufacturers to come up with a round to meet those goals to be considered for the contract.

Just because a round meets FBI standards doesn’t necessarily mean it’s best for other law enforcement agencies or for any particular civilian’s needs. Many law enforcement agencies use a time honored method of choosing their issue round…”Low Bid”.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Only with my Super Gay shirt.

I don't even see your .40 under that shirt.

Biggayal.png

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

I understand the recoil and muzzle flip issues with a compact or subcompact handgun for concealed carry, but I don't see the problem when it's a full size gun for HD or if it is a duty gun. The capacity issue mostly goes away too.

Everything I own that I might carry is a 9mm, but nightstand & endtable guns are .40 or .45.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I understand the recoil and muzzle flip issues with a compact or subcompact handgun for concealed carry, but I don't see the problem when it's a full size gun for HD or if it is a duty gun. The capacity issue mostly goes away too.

Everything I own that I might carry is a 9mm, but nightstand & endtable guns are .40 or .45.
    Yes. I’ll mostly be carrying a P365. VP9 I’m the cooler months.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is my shirt.

Attachments

• 1709AF92-E6F9-4046-9734-F618D084CD07.jpeg
      1709AF92-E6F9-4046-9734-F618D084CD07.jpeg
      216.5 KB · Views: 47

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    You know, in a gun forum, with what I generally consider to be smarter people... why are people still claiming this 45 stopping power myth?
    Sure, I've seen dudes high on shit take several FMJ 9mm rounds (all we could carry in theater due to geneva conventions), but MARSOC had .45s and still had trouble at times.
    This entire 9mm vs 45 debate is a farse at this point... Cause i tell you, I wouldn't want to be shot by the 124gr JHP +P ammo I have in my carry magazines. I wouldn't want to be shot with the .45 JHP 230 gr either.... but my 9mm carries 17 rounds per mag, the 45 only 10... and if its the 1911... only 8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom