• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm not even sure what a property book officer is/does but my employer has a need for one in Aberdeen. PM for details.

Thank you,
    Jay

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Wonder if they need a new PBO, due to the recent crate of M16‘s that were found unaccounted for? :innocent0

It is a small world, after all….

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    I held a similar role at Tyndall AFB called MASO or Munitions Accountable Systems Officer. Basically responsible for any explosive on the installation. It was a cool job until Hurricane Michael blew my munitions into the swamp..then it wasn't so cool any more

bradg

May 12, 2017
    You'd best be VERY detail oriented and disciplined to be a PBO. You are pecuniarily liable for the stuff on your property book.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You'd best be VERY detail oriented and disciplined to be a PBO. You are pecuniarily liable for the stuff on your property book.
    Yep. Lots of paperwork and stress. I also haven't seen that word "pecuniarily" since I got out. :)

PBO = Bean Counter

Report of Survey. Ugh :sad20:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Oh-- and the joys of Reports of Survey... but hey It's apparently ok to leave tons of shite behind in Afghanistan for the use of your enemy.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I was always taught that you in-process newly received items that meet Plant and Minor Property Accounting thresholds, and end-process items that were accountable that are being turned in or sent to DRMO. But, that the owning Department Head had to sign for and accept responsibility for items in custody of his department?
    That would be some serious shit if one poor SOB Property Book Officer was on the hook for every last piece of equipment on a base or establishment.
    If I blundered into a job like that where I was responsible for every piece of accountable property, as soon as I figured that out I'd friggin' shoot myself and put me out of my misery, knowing what thieving bastards typical .govs/.mils are...

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    F#ck that Sh#t. I'd rather chew on razor blades. When I checked in as the CWO3 Maint Officer at a UAV squadron that had more rolling stock (10- 5 tons, 24- HMMWVs, Commo Gear, Crew served Weapons) than aircraft, it was a rude awakening to learn how the "ground side" accounted for gear. It was supposed to be the S-4 Captains job, but they had just relieved him for cause for.... losing too much stuff. I had that as a "collateral duty" for a year until a 1st Lt checked in and I promptly dropped all of those books on his desk and said good luck.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Yea, I think what is being said in above posts is, "you might want to stay away from PBO"....I agree. and to CYA you'll have to inventory the entire PB. Then when you don't physically see an item, refuse to accept the PB. Hugh responsibility, that demands a very large pay increase and enough to cover a $2 Mil insurance policy for you when the balloon goes up....

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I held a similar role at Tyndall AFB called MASO or Munitions Accountable Systems Officer. Basically responsible for any explosive on the installation. It was a cool job until Hurricane Michael blew my munitions into the swamp..then it wasn't so cool any more
    Well the USACE is rebuilding the entire base down there so they will need a new MASO soon.

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    Well the USACE is rebuilding the entire base down there so they will need a new MASO soon.
    Luckily the installation commander did one mass ROS, after a month of us struggling to find munitions. I got out of there at my first opportunity. My guess is they will be finding explosives out there well into the future.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    PBO is not so bad if you treat your Hand Receipts like the Sword of Damocles over the heads of every Officer and NCO in the CoC.

You think the CIF is bad when you’re trying to clear post?

You ain’t going nowhere until the PBO clears your Command HR and Sub-HRs and gets your replacement’s John Hancock on their new HR and Sub HRs before your change of command.

The more MTOE line items, the more time and complexity.

Aviation units are the worse especially with aircraft in various states of disassembly for phased maintenance or worse controlled cannibalization prior to going to Depot overhaul or DMRO for disposal.

I made sure to always be on great terms with the Brigade PBO and my Supply NCOICs.

The S-4 was usually a D.M.F. Snowbird that was waiting for a command slot to open up.

bradg

May 12, 2017
    Guess i should mention this:
    Soldiers and Department of the Army civilian employees may have to pay for Army property they lose or damage. Under Army Regulation (AR) 735-5, financial liability ordinarily will not exceed one month’s base pay. In certain cases, however, such as the loss of personal arms or equipment, or damage to Government housing, liability may equal the full amount of the loss. The Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss is the administrative tool used by the Army to establish liability.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    It was a full time job maintaining everything that I was signed for on a hand receipt. I didn't like it then and I know that I wouldn't be a good fit for the job. It would be a good job for a retired supply sgt.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It was a full time job maintaining everything that I was signed for on a hand receipt. I didn't like it then and I know that I wouldn't be a good fit for the job. It would be a good job for a retired supply sgt.
    I bet you probably have had the experience of trying to account for a Tool Kit, Shop Equipment No 1 Common, plus all of the individual mechanic tool boxes. :sad20:

The component listing for that Shop Equipment Tool kit is a M'ther f'cker.

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I bet you probably have had the experience of trying to account for a Tool Kit, Shop Equipment No 1 Common, plus all of the individual mechanic tool boxes. :sad20:

The component listing for that Shop Equipment Tool kit is a M'ther f'cker.
    Close enough though I never signed for a FSB "Base Maintenance" #1 Common. There are reasons why I am a happy camper now. No maintenance tents ect.
    General Mechanic tool boxes back then were easy enough to cover down on. You had to keep a goody box and conduct trading on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom