• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I'll always remember fondly my time working in his office. The sarcastic wit and the Legislative education were priceless!

Semper Fi, Brother... we have the watch, give St Peter my regards!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'll always remember fondly my time working in his office. The sarcastic wit and the Legislative education were priceless!

Semper Fi, Brother... we have the watch, give St Peter my regards!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Knowing Mike, he is probably arguing with St. Peter about something.......

Renemehan

Mar 4, 2009
    Hanover
    Can't say I really knew Del Smigiel, but when I first dipped my toes into 2A advocacy (~2013), Mike was always at the forefront. I got to speak with him for a couple of minutes while waiting in line to provide testimony at one of the various hearings. You could tell he was just a great guy and a fierce patriot and supporter of individual rights.

I am truly saddened to hear of his passing, he will most certainly be missed.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    He was a real pain in the ass for the Democrats in the GA.

He will be missed.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    He was and he'd be get a good laugh at your comments. I think he'd appreciate being a PITA for anyone who didn't support the Constitution.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    You all wrote lovely things. As his friend and former Chief of Staff, thank you so much. It was heartening to read it all.
    We are asking everyone who can to donate in his name to the Marine Corps League. Here's the link: https://secure.etransfer.com/eft/flexblockcode/donation1.cfm?d2org=MCLeague&d2tool=donate

Regardless, I miss my friend and mentor and nah, he's not arguing with St Peter, lol--likely he's off shooting a 50 cal somewhere!

If anyone needs to reach me for anything, my phone number and email address remain the same.

Sending hugs and Congratulations on the outcome of the Bruen case for all of you. I spoke to Mike about it and he was like some of you- "It's about damn time!" LOL

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    You all wrote lovely things. As his friend and former Chief of Staff, thank you so much. It was heartening to read it all.
    We are asking everyone who can to donate in his name to the Marine Corps League. Here's the link: https://secure.etransfer.com/eft/flexblockcode/donation1.cfm?d2org=MCLeague&d2tool=donate

Regardless, I miss my friend and mentor and nah, he's not arguing with St Peter, lol--likely he's off shooting a 50 cal somewhere!

If anyone needs to reach me for anything, my phone number and email address remain the same.

Sending hugs and Congratulations on the outcome of the Bruen case for all of you. I spoke to Mike about it and he was like some of you- "It's about damn time!" LOL
    Your post brings a smile to my face

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Thanks!

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    He was one of the true pro-freedom politicialns in Annapolis. He will be missed. RIP!

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    I just received his official obituary. Here it is, in totem, from the family:

"Delegate Michael Dwayne Smigiel, Sr., died on Sunday, August 28th, 2022, in Cecil County, Maryland with his family by his side. He leaves behind his wife Peggy, son Michael Smigiel Jr and daughter Sarah Kate Smigiel. He is also survived by his two brothers, Mark Gapa and Geno Gapa, numerous cousins, and many nieces and nephews.

Michael was born in Baltimore, Maryland on June 18, 1958. Upon graduating high school in 1975, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and thus began a life of public service. After being honorably discharged in 1979, he attended Elgin Community College in Elgin, Illinois where he received his A.A. in Political Science/Psychology in 1981. Michael then attended Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois where he received a B.A. in Political Science in 1985. He then attended Northern Illinois University College of Law where he was class president and received his J.D. in 1989. He and his wife then moved to Maryland where he was admitted to the Maryland Bar in 1989. Later that year, he opened his private practice, The Law Offices of Michael D. Smigiel Sr in Elkton, Maryland.

In 2003, Michael was elected to the first of three terms of office in the Maryland House of Delegates representing the 36th District. He served primarily on the House Judiciary Committee where he gained the respect of his fellow committee members on both sides of the aisle. In addition, he served for 7 years as the House Republican Parliamentarian. Michael was known for his ability to listen to both sides of any argument and, in fact, co-sponsored a great number of bipartisan bills. Delegate Smigiel was known for captivating his colleagues with his impassioned floor debates.

Michael’s love of the Constitution was well known in and out of political circles. He always carried a copy of it with him. He was known as a staunch defender of all things constitutional but, in particular, the Second Amendment. Delegate Smigiel was recognized as the number one defender of the right to keep and bear arms in the state.

An intelligent, articulate and outspoken man, Michael was known as a strong litigator and was always mindful of the Constitution in his court appearances. He was known for his fierce defense of his clients. Michael was never one to be concerned about the fees from his clients. If he believed in your cause, you had a warrior on your side.

Michael had only one greater love and that was of his family. No matter how hard the battle in the court room or on the House floor in Annapolis, he was always able to leave that behind when he left work and take pride in his children and their many accomplishments. Michael enjoyed the simple things with his family- playing scrabble with his daughter, talking guns with his son, sharing a family recipe, spending time with his grand dog, and sitting on his porch, enjoying the nature and wildlife surrounding him. Michael was very proud that his children were talented in the arts and supported their passions by attending every dance performance his daughter was in, helping her get her first book published and supporting his son by assisting in the production of several of his films.

The Smigiel family wishes to express their deep gratitude for the overwhelming outpouring of support, kindness and love during this time. No words can express the appreciation we feel. Your stories and remembrances have brought our family great comfort. For that, we thank you."

The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Marine Corps League. https://secure.etransfer.com/eft/flexblockcode/donation1.cfm?d2org=MCLeague&d2tool=donate

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    Did Michael graduate high school a year ahead of schedule and did get his parents to sign for him in order to join the Corps? If so, that was great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom