• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    For it to be legal in MD, it has to be rated by the manufacture at over 1200 Ft/LB
    I am "guessing" that is "Close to 1100-1200 with a 16.5 barrel.

1700 foot pounds in my 20” 44 mag
    Weird glitch

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think the MGA needs any more help

I get that in general, and there's been plenty of * interesting things * that I don't publicly post .

I thought for a second , and it would be of minimal interest to MGA , and more significant for my peeps . But in case of any doubt where I stand :

We don't have any Condors in Maryland, and Bald Eagle populations are unprecedented in modern times .

Any general environmental or public health benefits would be miniscule rounding to zero , and the wildest estiments of lead hazards from Hunting don't amount to a fraction of 1٪ of lead from industrial and commercial sources and legacy lead paint .

Commercial ammunition in lead free is only available in a handful of calibers , in small production quantities, and is $$$ expensive . If required to use , the supply in the nationwide supply pipeline would be quickly exhausted .

Between very limited selection, and lack of production, the majority of Hunters would be prohibited from Hunting. And probably more than half of Hunters would have to purchase different firearms to be able to hunt .

For no positive benefits, and massive burdens this would engender , Bill # ( fill in blank ) should be strongly opposed .

* For Me * Hunting License Revenue and incidental Hunting related expenditures going to Maryland would drop to zero , and instead go to ( fill in neighboring state) , and I know large numbers of my fellow Maryland Hunters will do likewise. Loss of important $ for DNR budget that would effect non game , other than Hunting contexts , in addition to interfering with DNR 's management goals .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Seems to me that putting out the fact that other bullet materials are inhumane, making Bambi suffer and die in misery.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I would love to see the numbers of birds killed by eating lead and poisoned, I would just about be certain it be small compared to the number of vultures and other bird hit by cars etc. while they are trying to eat roadkill. If they do away with lead for hunting there will likely be more roadkill and will be more of these birds becoming roadkill as well.

The number of birds killed by eating lead us far less than the number chopped up by the stupid ass wind turbines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Usually this sort of thing is accomplished with a study. Both financial and from an ecological stand point for a number of years.
    Doesn't appear as if any of this has been undertaken.
    Its typical for what has been trending with these kooks for too long now.
    Thats why I say, go on with it. Dont wait either.
    I talked to a local game agent. They let me know they've heard nothing of the sort for changes to ammunition in their department which happens to be a very active one for game/waterborne enforcement.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Usually this sort of thing is accomplished with a study. Both financial and from an ecological stand point for a number of years.
    Doesn't appear as if any of this has been undertaken.
    Its typical for what has been trending with these kooks for too long now.
    Thats why I say, go on with it. Dont wait either.
    I talked to a local game agent. They let me know they've heard nothing of the sort for changes to ammunition in their department which happens to be a very active one for game/waterborne enforcement.

Cuz California. Out front and leading the way, a beacon for all good libbies to follow. 2019 with the condors, and that puts us here in Maryland 5 years behind. Gotta get with the program.

That's how these fools think.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I missed this while reading the text of the bill
    I would say that lead based small game loads put out more lead than deer hunting,,
    Again, this is a bill to reduce deer hunting.

(C) THE PROCESS TO PHASE OUT LEAD OR LEAD–BASED AMMUNITION 8 SHALL PRIORITIZE DEER HUNTING.
    9 SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect July 10 1, 2024

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So, are they going to have rangers and game wardens out there doing ammo checks now???
    I would think that would be the primary means of enforcement opportunity.
    Field checks, butcher shop and possibly taxidermy shops as a last measure
    I dont know about rangers, but the game police or biologist I'm sure.
    They can check your ammo anytime they want already if your hunting or engaged in some wild lands activity.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Once they pass a lead ban for hunting,, they will pass it for target shooting, after all for every lead projectile fired at a deer,, there is probably 100,000,000 fired target shooting.

Odd MSI has not taken a position on SB0983

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If this were to come to pass I hope every politician hits a deer with their personal car every day forever and I hope the deer they don’t hit eat their flowers and grass to death and shyte and die on their lawns and rot and get eaten by hundreds of buzzards

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Anybody doing any research on the numbers of eagles with lead poisoning? The best I can come up with using my meager skills looks like it comes down to around 50 eagles with lead poisoning nationwide per year from reports in 2022. So my guess is one per state. Honestly don't trust my skill at finding stuff like this but I think knowing what the numbers are will help with testimony.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    For those asking why, they will say that birds of prey eat the gut piles of deer and get lead poisoning. They will say a piece of lead the size of a grain of rice will kill an eagle.

I like Barnes bullets, but sometimes they don’t shoot well in a particular gun. Bonded bullets lose almost no lead and hard cast even less.

I’ll be watching and email my senator to kill this bill.
    I can honestly say, that every deer, except one that I’ve shot in the last 10 years, the bullet has done a complete pass through. The one that didn’t was with a 223 and the bullet was stopped by the hind on the opposite side. It was easily recovered.
    I’m sure most here have had the same results.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    So, are they going to have rangers and game wardens out there doing ammo checks now???
    While waterfowl hunting I’ve had DNR check my ammo. My shells were marked “steel shot”, he used a magnet to make sure.
    It’s going to be a lot harder with rifle projectiles.

I’m a huge cast bullet shooter, so to me this really sucks. I’m kinda looking into using zinc to cast my hunting bullets if this passes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rnj66

Latest threads

Top Bottom