MDSP Barrack still doing pistol transfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I have done pistol transfer through MDSP in Jessup (completing ATF 4473) a few times previously. I just called that barrack along with the one in College park, was told that they no longer do background check. I was given a number to Biometrics Identity, even though I did mention that I wanted to do pistol transfer.

Is this the new process in Maryland for pistol transfer?

Last edited:

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    To make it clear, I was looking to do 4473 at MDSP barrack and complete 77r on-line. However, when I asked a person at College Park barrack, was told they don't do this anymore. And was given number to call for Background check with 3rd party vendor, even though I mentioned I wanted to do a pistol transfer.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    To make it clear, I was looking to do 4473 at MDSP barrack and complete 77r on-line. However, when I asked a person at College Park barrack, was told they don't do this anymore. And was given number to call for Background check with 3rd party vendor, even though I mentioned I wanted to do a pistol transfer.
    Sounds like whoever you talked to doesn't have a clue. Not too surprising. Try another trooper or another barracks

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MSP DOES NOT do 4473 at the Barracks and never has, they are NOT an FFL.
    The only document for a firearms transfer MSP has ever done, is the 77R.

If you are looking to get a 4473 done, you need to go to an FFL, not MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have done pistol transfer through MDSP in Jessup (completing ATF 4473) a few times previously. I just called that barrack along with the one in College park, was told that they no longer do background check. I was given a number to Biometrics Identity, even though I did mention that I wanted to do pistol transfer.

Is this the new process in Maryland for pistol transfer?
    You may have completed a 77R at MSP but never a 4473 since they are not an FFL.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    You may have completed a 77R at MSP but never a 4473 since they are not an FFL.

That could be it. But the question still remains, has any of the MDSP barrack still doing the pistol transfer, recently , as in past several months?

Last edited:

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    If you are doing an individual-to-individual handgun transfer, you simply complete the 77R online per the instructions provided for the type of transfer you are making. Then you go to a barracks and have them complete their portion of the 77R and pay the $10 transfer fee. (It is recommended that you contact the barracks before stopping by to coordinate a time.) You will receive an email after the 7 day wait period advising you can make the physical transfer. You then go back online and enter the date of the physical transfer to close out the process.

I did one with my father-in-law a couple of months ago and it was all very smooth sailing. We went to Westminster and they were very friendly and accommodating.

Last edited:

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Ended up driving by MDSP Barrack off of 270 on Montrose road, and spoke to Officer on duty. Yes, they will (still) do the transfer there also. Now we know which location will assist with this process.

Thanks all for replying.

JRSMD

Sep 4, 2013
    Derwood
    I have done a few this year in Jessup at the MSP barracks and they are great and it is a very simple process. I recommend when doing a transfer to leave the gun in the vehicle and go to the front desk first and handle everything inside and the trooper will either tell you to retrieve the gun or they will walk out with you and bring it inside or at times they will just take the serial number down and tell you just leave it in the vehicle.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That could be it. But the question still remains, has any of the MDSP barrack still doing the pistol transfer, recently , as in past several months?
    Yes, Jessup and College Park that I am aware of.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    As far as I know, they all do them. All it requires is a computer on their network and trooper. Both of which are available at all barracks.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Ended up driving by MDSP Barrack off of 270 on Montrose road, and spoke to Officer on duty. Yes, they will (still) do the transfer there also. Now we know which location will assist with this process.

Thanks all for replying.
    Ew Rockville Barrack. I did a transfer a bit ago at the College Park Barrack semi-recently.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Rockville Barracks and Glen Burnie (by BWI) Barracks are both top notch. The troopers do enough of these type of services at their respective locations to know their stuff and the transaction is smooth. Not bad attitudes, just good service. Quick and easy. In this day and age, I can't expect anything more.

Last edited:

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Did the online part and went to Westminster MSP a couple months back and it only took 10 minutes.
    15$ I think, had to be exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom