MD State Rules and Regulations concerning reloading, components and storage requirements for newbie RLDR.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    New to reloading, taking one step at a time, doing lot's of research but find little to no information about what if any MD State Rules and Regulations affecting the home based reloading set up. Anyone privy to were such information would be located? Any help would be appreciated.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    There are jurisdictional issues on reloading. Some have a maximum powder amount storage; others restrict where you can reload. Such as living in an apartment or condo where reloading may be restricted. MD new law after October will restrict black powder to a maximum of 5 pounds. Presently, generally it is OK to buy powder, primers, cased and bullets and have them shipped to your home. Of course, there may be jurisdictional requirements on shipping too. I do not know of a one stop shop for all the laws it is best to check with your local government.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …. it is best to check with your local government.

Please think about your dog‘s life, first.

I can imagine a lot of unintended consequences asking most municipalities in bass ackward states - like MD, NJ, NY etc - (let alone BaltiMorgue) even the most mundane of questions pertaining to gun powder …

MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    Appreciate the advice. I knew MD had some quirky rules in place but could not sort out truth from fiction. My pups ( 10 yrs old still my pups! ) are my kids and I treat them as such. Nothing is stored in the house, except "Franken Glock". Bought a huge Jobox cabinet off Craigs List to keep in detached garage from house. You need a forklift to pick it up ( mini Fortknox! ).

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    When I began reloading I asked those exact questions. Here is the answers I found:

1. The limits on storage are 5 pounds of black powder AND 5 pounds of smokeless powder "in a place". Storing more powder requires a powder magazine and a license from the state fire marshall.

2. The limits in 1 above are NOT for multi family residences. The maryland state fire code defines multi family residence as more than 2 families living in a single structure. I was not able to find ANY provisions permitting storage of smokeless powder or black powder in a multi family residence.

Keep in mind these are fire codes, not criminal codes. Enforced by state fire Marshall's office, not MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom