• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Complete and utter B.S. Throwing more money at education isn't going to solve this problem. It's not about sending everyone to college. Our schools are failing the ghetto folks because they (and most other schools) fail to offer non-academic skills that are marketable and valuable to society. Also missing are life skills and how to be polite and work in a team environment. .

Its not just the inner city kids being short changed by our current system. My kid is "developmentally delayed", does not have normal memory function ... cannot understand a full paragraph of instructions or a story, gets none of the inferred meaning of "reading between the lines"; but has to take calculus & statistics to graduate from high school - the high school brags about 96% college admission of their graduates. The her "individual education program" gets the number of questions on homework and each test reduced, extra time and a "co-teacher" to help her and a few other students. Her school doesn't even offer a practical math class that would explain compound interest or balancing a checkbook.

Despite her limitations, she generally does well in algebra, esp where the work is abstract ... She recognizes the quadratic equation and what to do with it (yeah her brain is freaky). She might actually do well in this class, but there is no way it will ever help her in life. It will be 150+ hours of wasted time.

The real waste our time and money is this ... she has artistic talent and musical talent ... in 4 years of high school, she has only been able to get into 2 art classes, 1 was outside of her interest/skills, and 1 music class.

The only up side at all is with her diploma, she can take art & music classes that I pay for at community college next year.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It isn't just about throwing money at the problem, and education consists of a lot more than just books and getting to college. As you point out, they can also taught/educated on how to do a trade.

I am also willing to bet that you do NOT live in the ghetto. The problem with education policy in the US is that most funds for education come from property taxes. Well, how much funding do you get when the property values in a ghetto are complete crap and those living there are poor as hell.

Yeah, we want to complain about the crime, etc. in these poor areas that we do not live in. We want to use it as a reason why we need firearms to protect ourselves. Meanwhile, the antis want to use the same crime and gun violence in these areas as a reason why guns should be outlawed. Fix the violence issue, and this goes away.

To say education is not a problem in the US means you might as well stick your head in the sand. How about changing the curriculum in these places to also require money, banking, and finance classes before graduation. There is a lot that needs to be changed, and it isn't completely simple, but gun control isn't the most important issue of what needs to be changed.

Now, I am all ears for your plan to fix the ghetto that does not include improving education and opportunity in those areas. Just don't fire back with mandatory birth control or something to that effect.

I actually lived in a ghetto as a kid. There were murders. I saw a dead body. We were robbed. I was threatened at knife point.

A great science teacher in middle school confronted a student about behaviour and they 'went off on him' verbally. The administration backed the student. He quit. It was a loss for all future students.

1st order of business is to address classroom behavior and enforce a dress code. I'm in VA now and it's a world of difference with regard to the dress code for my 16y/o daughter. I don't see any harm in having school uniforms.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Easy, Doc...

IMO, everything Zoo said is "right there"...

These edicts are coming down from "on high"

MSP leadership is 'beholden' to the whims of the Administration. They will only do what they are told, regardless of their personal position. Rank-and-file is something else, entirely.

We know for a fact that MSP has people assigned to monitor the state of things (including this forum, among other venues), and the condition of their position is changing (LITERALLY) day-by-day.

They are resolute in their position: "We are right and you are an as-yet-undefined criminal."
    Yep Domestic Enemies and their Minions following Orders. Nuremberg comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom