MD Residents at Delaware Ranges with Semi-Automatics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    some fallout from DE’s Legislative Session.
    PNG image 2.png

HPBT

Oct 15, 2020
    De.
    ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS, VISITORS AND COMPETITORS TRADITIONALLY USING MAGAZINES CAPABLE OF HOLDING MORE THAN 17 ROUNDS.​

According to the terms of Senate Substitute #1 for Senate Bill 6, commencing 60 days from June 30, 2022, all magazines capable of holding more than 17 rounds will be illegal and subject to confiscation and forfeiture in the State of Delaware unless you are one of the following exempted individuals:
    1. A holder of a valid Delaware Concealed Carry Permit
    2. A qualified retired law enforcement officer
    3. A law enforcement officer
    4. A member of the military acting within the scope of your official duties
    5. An employee of the federal government acting within the scope of your official duties
    6. A FFL licensee engaged in the business of selling to the individuals listed above.

Therefore, unless you fall within one of the categories shown above, you may not bring a magazine capable of holding more than 17 rounds onto Club grounds, until further notice.
    Any bridgeville members here need to check your email so you know whats going on.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Where did this appear, and who made this determination?

When the dust settles, I think you're going to find that the Exceptions will provide the ability of owners of AW's prior to the law's inception will be allowed to transport them from owned property to a range and back.

Until then, I'll shoot my AR's in MD and PA.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I wonder what kind of trouble there will be from shooting across DE back into Md with a Ar or something?
    Or like if shell casings fly over the line or something on accident.
    What state can I leave my rifle in?
    Think Ill grill some Nathans hot dogs in a few moments instead of worrying my self to death.

O wait one more thing, I wonder if MD will set up check points to try and catch DE carry persons who drive through DE into MD and then back into DE as some sort of sting operation or something just to so they can show how much they support the new legislation across the line.

Got news for you, they wont and don't.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    So last time I was in Delaware, I carried my TX-22 concealed per my Utah permit. Since it has a threaded barrel, am I understanding correctly that I am no longer permitted to bring it into the state? And there's no carve-out for permit holders like the mag ban? That's how I'm reading the text of the law, I haven't asked BRPC for their take yet. If so, it's kind of funny, as the thread cover is stuck so I can't attach anything anyway. And if I can't bring the .22 I'll have my 9mm, which can blow out a lung.

I don't want to get into a debate over carrying a .22, that's what I carried and shot for about a year while I was building my strength back up due to a health issue before I was ready to handle a "real" caliber again. I'm mostly good to go now but the TX-22 is still a fun & cheap to shoot range toy.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This is why the local politics matter so much- for all those celebrating victory at the USSC and thinking the fight is over for 2A rights and that these liberal states will just roll over they are very wrong. DE is in actuality a liberal state much like MD.

lazybones

BANNED!!!
    Mar 25, 2022
    This type of bill isn't a surprise. Legislatures kept trying to zero in on a way of eliminating AR and AK while leaving hunting rifles legal. The complicated feature specs were part of that calculus. New gun-type iterations have created a specification arms race. (The CA thumbhole stocks and box magazines for instance). It is no surprise they took simpler approach like that in the DE bill. "Mag fed and a grip below the action."

A message higher up showed a text message that outlined the bill. Assuming the text is correct, then mag-fed hunting rifles are still legal for purchase and transport. ARs and AKs are not legal for transport as the bill intends. Gun challenge victories are going to make legislatures more draconian in some cases. They can't regulate carry, possession, or other things so they will continue to try new formulas which may or may not be allowed by the courts.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There will be lawsuits.

The Dems in the DE House and Senate have super majorities, and the Governorship. They can pass stupid bills at will and get them signed.

DE has the RTKBA in its constitution.

The courts will tire of this quickly, and "shall not be infringed" will become more apparent to the states.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    New gun-type iterations have created a specification arms race. (The CA thumbhole stocks and box magazines for instance). It is no surprise they took simpler approach like that in the DE bill. "Mag fed and a grip below the action."
    So does that make Thordsen style ARs banned in DE (e.g. Dark Storm’s featureless DS-15)? The language seems to be much broader than the “pistol grip protruding below the action” language the other ban states use. Crazy to think the gun laws in DE nearly as bad as they are in DC now. Hopefully between Bruen and DE’s 2A equivalent this garbage gets taken out to the curb fast.

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    The DE, law uses the one item on the list of what makes an “assault Weapon.”
    One of these items is the detachable magazine.
    The last I checked a Remington 7400 and tha Winchester Model of 1907 have detachable magazines, thus they have earned the label of an “assault weapon.”
    Thus legal for a DE resident, but it may not leave DE to return, nor may an out of state semi auto detachable magazine center fire rifle enter Delaware.
    So that leaves a fixed magazine semi automatic rifle if one wishes to use their semi automatic (out of state rifle) with in Delaware as long as they don’t have a feature like a pistol grip or folding/telescoping stock.

Last edited:

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    So if I live in MD, and want to go shoot at a range in MD can I drive through DE to get there? Or do I need to take the long way around?

I'd think the federal law for transporting firearms though states would cover me.

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    If you state you are engaged in interstate commerce you may have a defense.
    But you have to hope the Delaware State Police, the prosecutors office, the Judge or Jury also buys it.

Last edited:

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Be careful at some of the PA public ranges. They restrict the amount of bullets in a magazine. I think three is their magic number. A buddy of mine bought a Mini 14 and later on he picked up an AK47. He we to the range with his adult son and they had preloaded the magazines at home. He arrived at the shooting range and set up their target and after firing the first couple rounds the warden showed up and told they to unload their weapons and magazines. My friend ended up with a $300.00 fine for having the magazines loaded over the allowed limit. The warden was nice about it as he informed him he could have charged them a per round penalty.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Be careful at some of the PA public ranges. They restrict the amount of bullets in a magazine. I think three is their magic number. A buddy of mine bought a Mini 14 and later on he picked up an AK47. He we to the range with his adult son and they had preloaded the magazines at home. He arrived at the shooting range and set up their target and after firing the first couple rounds the warden showed up and told they to unload their weapons and magazines. My friend ended up with a $300.00 fine for having the magazines loaded over the allowed limit. The warden was nice about it as he informed him he could have charged them a per round penalty.

135.181.(b)(6)​

BlackInjun

Jun 7, 2013
    The DE, law uses the one item on the list of what makes an “assault Weapon.”
    One of these items is the detachable magazine.
    The last I checked a Remington 7400 and tha Winchester Model of 1907 have detachable magazines, thus they have earned the label of an “assault weapon.”
    Thus legal for a DE resident, but it may not leave DE to return, nor may an out of state semi auto detachable magazine center fire rifle enter Delaware.
    So that leaves a fixed magazine semi automatic rifle if one wishes to use their semi automatic (out of state rifle) with in Delaware as long as they don’t have a feature like a pistol grip or folding/telescoping stock.
    Your not reading the law correctly, anything on the list is barred, any copycat of anything on the list is barred.

If you interpret it your way all semi-auto pistols with a detachable magazine (meaning all handguns) are barred. That's not the case they are barring copycats of the banned list using the descriptions like "detachable magazines" etc to keep a small change being made a weapon to get around the law

If it's not on the list it can't have a copycat. IE colt hbar not on list not barred. I suspect same as maryland all hbars will be allowed

Last edited:

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    Nope, it is you that is only reading one section of the law (the old MD section) that is no longer needed because of the newer Connecticut Law section. It refers to Semi Automatic Rifles particularly ones with detachable Magazines.
    My HBAR is not permitted in Delaware despite what the old MD section (that automatically is obsolete) in the DE law due to the section than bans all with just one feature.
    Another new law pertains to semi automatic pistols bans with their magazines housing outside of the grip area (such as Tec-9’s, Mauser Broomhandles and AR based pistols).

Last edited:

BlackInjun

Jun 7, 2013
    Nope, it is you that is only reading one section of the law (the old MD section) that is no longer needed because of the newer Connecticut Law section. It refers to Semi Automatic Rifles particularly ones with detachable Magazines.
    My HBAR is not permitted in Delaware despite what the old MD section (that automatically is obsolete) in the DE law due to the section than bans all with just one feature.
    Another new law pertains to semi automatic pistols bans with their magazines housing outside of the grip area (such as Tec-9’s, Mauser Broomhandles and AR based pistols).
    Read it carefully the section that you are refering to is under copycats of banned weapons

(5) “Copycat weapon” means any of the following:
    126 a. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least 1 of the following:
    127 1. A folding or telescoping stock.
    128 2. Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which
    129 would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger
    130 being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing.
    131 3. A forward pistol grip.
    132 4. A flash suppressor.
    133 5. A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    134 b. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
    135 c. A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least 1 of the following:
    136 1. An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches at some location outside of the pistol
    137 grip.

Synopsis of the amendment

SYNOPSIS
    This amendment replaces the definition of copycat weapons with the factors used in the Connecticut assault
    weapons statute

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom