• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Actually, yes I am.

I don't really need to, I've carried out of state on a non-resident UT permit for years and have many options, but 1) it is an excuse to buy a gun (and it has been 2 or 3 years since my last purchase), 2) I've wanted to replace some of my carry guns for a few years but only being a part-time/out of state carrier it hasn't been a priority, and 3) some of what worked on vacation or shopping for a few hours or a few days may not work as an every day carry option.

For the past 5 or 6 years, I've liked to err on the capacity/capability side of the comfort/concealability vs. capacity/capability argument. I often would carry Glock 19 sized guns (I don't have one, but everyone knows them, so good for comparison) like my SIG P229 or CZ PCR and P01. Well, even though standard sized mags are legal to own and possess in MD, I'm going to limit myself to 10 rounds in MD. MD doesn't like self defense, it had to be forced to go shall-issue, MD prosecutors will try every angle to try and convict you if they can, and most Marylanders don't understand the you can own them but not buy them here mag laws, so I don't want to disadvantage myself in front of a jury. So, if I'm only carrying the 12-15 round mags (depending on the gun) when out of state, and limiting myself to 10 rounds here, I want a lighter gun and easier concealment, so my favorite guns are out.

I have a 1st gen S&W M&P40c (Glock 26/27 sized) in .40S&W that may well become my primary carry (when in casual clothing), but I like IWB (and tuckable IWB when I can't wear an untucked shirt). It is a little wide (but doable) for IWB, but definitely too wide for discrete tucked IWB. I have two narrower 9mm guns, a SIG P290 that I love, and a Kel Tec Pf9 that I don't. Both are a bit low on capacity (unless it is a pocketable gun, or a revolver, I'd prefer 10 rounds), the SIG is a bit heavy for capacity, and I just don't like the Kel Tec. I've thought about trading them for years for a SIG P365 or similar but it wasn't a priority. So, my first purchase is likely a SIG P365, S&W Shield Plus, or Glock 43X.

My second purchase will likely be a 3" Taurus 856 Defender. I think a 3" .357mag is the sweet spot for velocity, sight radius, and concealment. I prefer 6 rounds over the 5 of a J-frame. I have a 3" Colt King Cobra (new version). I have a S&W 65LS. I love them. But, if there is a defensive shoot, the gun used will likely be confiscated. I occasionally carry the Colt on my UT permit, but now that we'll be able to carry daily, I don't want to push my luck. I have a 3" Rossi 461, but I hate it and I've had trouble with my 2" Rossi and don't trust either one. The Taurus is .38 only, but I usually carry .38+P for self defense. It has night sights, and my Taurus 856UL has served me well.

My Ruger LCP will work well for carrying when I need something very small. However, it isn't fun to shoot, .380 ammo has never been cheap, and .380 is just barely adequate for self defense. The last likely addition will be a Kahr PM9. While it is bigger, it is small enough for the same role, and it is in 9mm (and it doesn't hurt that I've wanted one since it came out).

I'll be partly financing this through the sale of my CZ P01, Kel Tec PF9, both my 2" and 3" Rossi 461, S&W 442 and Taurus 85CH. There is a slim chance I'll sell the P290 to help as well, but I really do love that gun. After I buy the Kahr, if it works as well in "deep cover" as my LCP, then I may also sell the LCP at that point (so it may not finance the Kahr, but it will pay for ammo for the Kahr :D ).

TL/DR:
    Now that I will be able to carry nearly everyday, I may update my carry guns with:
    -SIG P365, S&W Shield Plus or Glock 43X (1st, almost immediately)
    -3" Taurus 856 Defender (within the next 6mo to a year)
    -Kahr PM9 (soon)
    That makes no sense whatsoever, lots of BGOS going on. Having a mag over 10 rounds in a self defense shooting will have no bearing whatsoever unless you had a bad shoot and were found guilty.
    The lighter/easier to carry part seems relevant, the rest not so much.
    If you have a good shoot, the over 10 round mag thing is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I have no real need to pick anything up new as well (however, a HK P2000 SK "might" be a nice addition to round things out ;) ). I picked up a few new handguns in the last 7 months with an optimistic view of how Bruen would be decided. Late last year, I picked up a CZ 75D PCR and it is just about perfect for intended use. It will most likely be my EDC for most days of the year. For hotter weather, I have a a S&W CSX and LCP Max ready to go. The CSX has really been growing on me the more that I shoot it. It fits my hand almost perfectly and just feels right shooting, despite its micro 9 status, particularly with the 12 round mags.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Ok I had to get another one on hold but I can’t have it until it hits the roster, Springfield Hellcat Pro. All the other Hellcats are listed but the pro was somehow left off So now it’s a waiting game X2.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    What's the difference between the reg. Hellcat and the Pro...? No safety?
    ETA... Watched on YT... Many differences. Larger mag cap. Longer barrel... Might have to check one out.

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    IF I receive a wear and carry permit, I will be making 2 purchases. A sig p365 sprectre comp and lightweight 357 revolver (air weight hammerless).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    IF I receive a wear and carry permit, I will be making 2 purchases. A sig p365 sprectre comp and lightweight 357 revolver (air weight hammerless).
    Good luck finding a Spectre. I think they are pretty much unobtanium. Have you seen any?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Good luck finding a Spectre. I think they are pretty much unobtanium. Have you seen any?
    No, I haven't looked hard though. I won't look hard until I have a permit in hand. I have a g43 to carry in the mean time and I'm not in a rush for it.

Edit...I found 2 quickly. 1 definitely reliable source online

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No, I haven't looked hard though. I won't look hard until I have a permit in hand. I have a g43 to carry in the mean time and I'm not in a rush for it.

Edit...I found 2 quickly. 1 definitely reliable source online
    I want one also.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I won't flyspeck all the various fouls we may commit along the way to carrying out a successful defensive shooting, but I will point out that there are things to consider beyond whether a defensive shoot is ruled as justified, meaning whether you are found guilty or not guilty at trial. A lot more happens before matters get anywhere near court.

Early in the legal process every question a prosecutor raises about you, your actions, your gun, your ammo, etc., are questions that cost you money to answer. The prosecutor has the state's treasury at his disposal to lob questions at you, and to answer them through your attorney and your experts, you pay for that with your wallet. My goal is simple: give the prosecutor the fewest number of questions to raise surrounding me and my defensive shooting. That's it.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    All that is fine... until you are in THAT moment... let's hope it never arrives.
    Ever been in a store hold-up and NOT have a gun...? Pretty helpless feeling.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Son has Gl...Gl...Gl..ks... I don't hate'm... just rather carry a banana... :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    She did 17yrs in banking , but about the last third was at bank HQ .

Heck , I met her at a bank branch in the 'hood .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom