• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Really, can you explain that claim because I'm LEO and don't have one nor do I need one. Who are these LEO's you claim are 2/3 of the total and more importantly, what is their actual duty status?

Probably means retired LEO. Skirts LEOSA requirements. Though there is the damned MD classes.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Just do a sole proprietorship. Change wiper blades or mow lawns. Sell socks on ebay. Doesn't matter.

If you have a verifiable legitimate business and provide the necessary documentation you will get a permit..

Anyone with a micro little side business in Maryland can get an unrestricted permit.
    erubysocks.com. :thumbsup:

What Occam writes makes it sound super easy.

What rbird7282 writes is more realistic, "a verifiable, legitimate business".

If I started 'eruby's wiper blades deluxe' would it be legitimate, or a sham?

Could I file a Schedule C? Sure. But how legitimate would it be?

If I were getting a crappy burrito at 7-11 at 3 AM, would I really be 'about my business'?

Occam/rbird/anyone, I would be pleased to buy you lunch to discuss at length.

Though I'm not above speeding, or going mask-less in Baltimore County, starting up 'any business' that would really just be a sham, seems wrong to me.

Sometimes, my hypocrisy goes only so far.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    erubysocks.com. :thumbsup:

If you have some nice retro argyles in a tasteful range of deplorable camo colors, take my money.

What Occam writes makes it sound super easy.

It wasn't too hard the way I did it (using an LLC), but it would be easier still with a sole proprietorship (a bit fewer moving parts with MD .gov, but still something of an annual paper-fest, of course).

What rbird7282 writes is more realistic, "a verifiable, legitimate business".

If I started 'eruby's wiper blades deluxe' would it be legitimate, or a sham?

Could I file a Schedule C? Sure. But how legitimate would it be?

Yes, you need to be able to show how the money that the business generates lands on your taxes. That's usually on a C (or something more complicated if the business gets into inc-ness, etc). My LLCs (two of them) are single-member LLCs, so the income is "pass through" and shows up on my personal C when I file. That would also be true if I skipped the whole LLC paper hell and did a sole proprietorship (where you're doing business as YOU, rather than owning the business that's doing business as itself).

You can use an accounting pro or lawyer ... or you can just LegalZoom.com your way through the process with what amounts to a fill-in-the-blank wizard. Yes, a few hundred dollars evaporate along the way.

If I were getting a crappy burrito at 7-11 at 3 AM, would I really be 'about my business'?

With the recent change in the rules, anyone who demonstrates that they own the business activity is granted a no-fuss unrestricted permit. Done. So you could be out getting a burrito or out picking up your socks shipment at the warehouse, doesn't matter - you can carry anywhere anytime (except when you're in the post office, cuz that's illegal, but that's OK because nothing bad ever happens in a post office).

Occam/rbird/anyone, I would be pleased to buy you lunch to discuss at length.

The "how to get a permit" thread here covers a lot of ground, and if you're an MSI member, there's great resources there. Personal anecdotes are great, but mostly serve as inspiration and to get over the nerves of just DOING it. That said, with NYSRP pending, a lot of the fuss may be worth waiting out.

There's no WAY that Maryland drops the class/training requirement, and it's good for at least a year ... so sometime soon, if you're a gambling man, might be the time to take the MD W&C class before the inevitable rush if that ruling goes the way we hope.

Though I'm not above speeding, or going mask-less in Baltimore County, starting up 'any business' that would really just be a sham, seems wrong to me.

If the business is an actual sham, it won't get you anywhere. There has to be a sign of financial life in bank records, etc. But squeaking in just under the sham bar when we're up against an unethical, unconstitutional barrier against keeping and bearing ... don't feel too bad. You're not bad, you're just drawn that way.

Sometimes, my hypocrisy goes only so far.

You can get a permit AND keep your boots on!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're kind of overdue again , but there have been periodic PIA ( Md's freedom of Information ) on these topic , numbers of permits , less often for occupation
    ( the released info on W&C holders is vague enough to give minimal clue as to their G&S ).

Outstanding Permits are about 30K , I'm curious about the number of Registered Republicans in Baltimore City . Yeah 30k is way too few , but not long ago was 12k , so a 150% increase is not nothing .

I can't read everyone's minds in this thread . But nobody is saying that the current permitting scheme is right , good , or desirable , at minimum , no hassle Shall Issue is the goal .

Maryland being Maryland , significant relief will come thru the Federal Courts , not the General Assembly . There are groups actively pursuing litigation at state and national levels . Support them with your donations and your efforts .

Yes , a significant number of W&C are retired LE still
    There are differences in fine print between them as to who is eligible . And I recently was speaking with an unnamed retired LEO about why he Preferred the W&C over LEOSA for him and his situation . Key points included 3 year vs 1 year , easier to access requals , and overall bottom line less expensive .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back on topic :

We can probably assume that such cases are high profile both in our community , and the media . So likely this is the Second such case ever . The previous instance , he was totally s***faced also , so no case law as to the subtlies of the threshold .

Legislative Best Practices would follow the example of Utah on the subject . BAC is specified , not just for handgun carry , but to be in possession of any firearm . They link it to the same level as otherwise required to operate a motor vehicle .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have a Md. Permit and have had one since 2013 and wish i had a dollar every time someone said it is easy. I have to pay hundreds to qualify, learn carry insurance be mindful of my gun 24/7 let alone practice and try to do the right thing daily. I do that willingly and with a certain responsibility to others and for others to do the right thing.
    We all know we are under a magnifying Lense by having a permit. I wish the permit system was for all, it should be 2A should not be for a select group, i will admit and be honest that i am no better than anyone else.

I never really figured up the cost of this yearly or every 3 years with time and money but i am sure it is keeping others away.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I never really figured up the cost of this yearly or every 3 years with time and money but i am sure it is keeping others away.

None of our general assembly overlords are the least bit concerned with the procedural hoops we have to jump through or the money it costs. They LIKE it that way. If NYSRP goes well, that will expand access, but it won’t make anything cheaper, that’s for sure.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    None of our general assembly overlords are the least bit concerned with the procedural hoops we have to jump through or the money it costs. They LIKE it that way. If NYSRP goes well, that will expand access, but it won’t make anything cheaper, that’s for sure.

Yep, right on

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    So, it appears there is a path for MD residents to obtain a CCW based on business need (or however it's phrased, business related).
    Anyone have any knowledge or input on a path for a MD non-resident, with a business in MD, obtaining a MD CCQ. I'm talking full on not just 8-5 at one location.
    Prior research indicated non-resident CCW in MD was impossible. Wondering if it's changed.

My retirement plan is split between E and W. I have CCW covered on the West but not all the East.

TIA

PS Moron who got arrested is a moron. Sac Co. Sheriff flat out said don't F it up. Moron F'd it up.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, it appears there is a path for MD residents to obtain a CCW based on business need (or however it's phrased, business related).
    Anyone have any knowledge or input on a path for a MD non-resident, with a business in MD, obtaining a MD CCQ. I'm talking full on not just 8-5 at one location.
    Prior research indicated non-resident CCW in MD was impossible. Wondering if it's changed.

My retirement plan is split between E and W. I have CCW covered on the West but not all the East.

TIA

PS Moron who got arrested is a moron. Sac Co. Sheriff flat out said don't F it up. Moron F'd it up.

Maryland doesn't make any distinction between resident and non-resident. A non-resident can get a Maryland permit exactly the way a resident can (well, or can't). So if you own a business (any business, based in Maryland or not, with you living and banking in the state or not) and can show that you DO business in Maryland (not necessarily all of your business), you can get the permit.

The state definitely does NOT have a means to grant you a MD permit just because you have one in another state. You have to satisfy the state's "good and sufficient" standards within the state. But the business doesn't have to be based in Maryland, just DO stuff in Maryland. Demonstrably so - be ready with invoices, customer info with addresses, perhaps some business ATM deposits/withdrawals at MD-located ATMs, etc.

Hard to say what the ramifications of NYSRP (ruled happily in our favor) would be for non-residents. If they stop caring about G&S, they may still be willing to issue a MD permit to anyone who wants to sit through (and pay for) the required class, and pay for the permit application. Who knows how that special case will play out!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

TIA

My brother lives in Delaware and has a Md. permit same as the resident permit. he is part owner of the business i am involved with. No such thing as a non-resident permit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're hitting on some of the major factors in comparing the rate of CCWs between different states .

Assuming one already owns suitable firearm(s) , and is reasonably competent , marginal costs at baseline include :

$75 application
    $50- 75 fingerprints
    $350-500 16 hour class

Call it $500-700 in money , plus lost time from other endeavors , and transportation costs .

Plenty of people can't afford that period , and lots more will have serious pause , compared to other priorities .

IF , the process remains the same other than G&S , and Further IF MSP doesn't become hopelessly backlogged , I'll predict that MD Permit rates will be on the order of 2- 3% , rather than the 10% and more in some other states .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Question: In Maryland, if you retire from your G&S business, does the state cancel your W&C permit? If so, I don't see much point in it at my age.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think they "cancel" it immediately but you can bet that you won't get a renewal.

Yeah that's what I meant by cancel. So there is some kind of mechanism that flags a person for no longer being qualified to W&C? It seems it's never come up here, not that I'm aware of. Thanks.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    lol, right. It's easy to get a permit. Just start a business. :sad20:

With 2A friends like you who needs Bloomberg.

Hearing a lot of frustration, suggest you join MSI and channel that into support there. Besides being the only organization in this state fighting for our rights they are very helpful in navigating the process.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And for those who think that it's "too hard" to start a sole proprietorship, a buddy of mine who I umpire with received his permit based solely on the income from his umpire business. He's got a full time job but enjoys giving back to the community and making some $$ while doing it.

And for those in the back NO, I don't agree that he or I or anyone who runs a business are any more important or qualified than those of you who don't. Like Occam has repeatedly has said it is what it is in this state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom