• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BetaS

Dec 12, 2022
    Rockville
    The LCP Max saw its first range trip and I have to say I wasn't particularly thrilled with it. A mere 50 rounds of ammo were lit off without malfunction, but my trigger finger was sore after the second mag and I didn't want to open a second box of ammo after I finished the first.

Worse, it and/or me were quite inaccurate with it. I am hardly an accomplished shot, but I don't have trouble keeping rounds on paper. Not quite so true with this little piece. It very well could have been mostly me, but if that's the case not only have my fundamentals gone to shiit, but I didn't have the wherewithal to recognize anything that I was doing wrong. I probably pulled/jerked 5-6 rounds, but it was shooting mostly low at eight yards and had more than a few fliers. To the extent I could find any "comfort" using a pistol defensively, I would not be comfortable engaging with it much beyond contact distance.

It and/or me need some work.
    I've had two range trips with my LCP Max, and I feel like I'm pretty accurate with it at 7.5 yards given its small size. I'm confident I could use it to defend myself, but probably not to hit something 25 yards away.

I also have issues with finger pain after shooting it. I shoot with my right hand, and I had a blood blister on the right side of my trigger finger after 120 rounds during my first range trip. I paid closer attention to what was happening on my second range trip, and my finger is getting pinched between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard as they move forward after pulling the trigger. Not a deal-breaker for a carry weapon, but it makes it much less enjoyable at the range.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I put another 100 rounds through mine today and yes, the pinch is still there. Not a fun gun to shoot. I found another issue with it. If I load 10 rounds in the 10 round mag and insert it in the gun, then rack the slide, I can't even pull the slide back as it gets caught on the first case. I found if the slide is lock back, I insert the mag and then use the thumb release it works ok. I time it did not go into full battery. I feel like I should report these issues to Ruger.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The LCP Max saw its first range trip and I have to say I wasn't particularly thrilled with it. A mere 50 rounds of ammo were lit off without malfunction, but my trigger finger was sore after the second mag and I didn't want to open a second box of ammo after I finished the first.

Worse, it and/or me were quite inaccurate with it. I am hardly an accomplished shot, but I don't have trouble keeping rounds on paper. Not quite so true with this little piece. It very well could have been mostly me, but if that's the case not only have my fundamentals gone to shiit, but I didn't have the wherewithal to recognize anything that I was doing wrong. I probably pulled/jerked 5-6 rounds, but it was shooting mostly low at eight yards and had more than a few fliers. To the extent I could find any "comfort" using a pistol defensively, I would not be comfortable engaging with it much beyond contact distance.

It and/or me need some work.
    It's the gun, left and low. It takes extreme control and care to keep it in the X ring. I've been able to do it but it's not easy.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues with this particular firearm. I'm nowhere near giving up on it, just disappointing that it's not "point and click" like everything else I own. Especially for a firearm specifically designed for self defense

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I like my S&W BG 380. Now.
    That is I like it after I put Wolff P3AT 10% extra power springs in the magazines. That cured the gun cycling and failing to feed a new round and a 90% failure rate in the slide locking back when the gun was empty. Since that change it is running 100%.
    When brand new the mags fed rounds normally but the failure to hold the slide open when empty was always a problem. Once the gun had been carried and shot for a while that other failure mode crept in.
    Having the gun apparently cycle "normally" but failing to feed a new cartridge and leaving the chamber empty was not a good feature in a carry gun.

As an update I tried two ProMag magazines in my S&W 380 Bodyguard. From the very start I had the same problems as with S&W factory mags. I only shot a couple of mag's worth with multiple failures from each magazine and gave up. I went back to the range on Friday after installing the same Wolff springs in the ProMags. I shot over 100 rounds of FMJ and hollow points with 100% reliability. I hope this tip helps any other owners with unreliable S&W BG 380s.

After the spring change I am very pleased with this little gun. It has a very long trigger pull (think of a double action revolver but smoother) and a very long reset but I'm figuring out how to reliably get hits at 25 yards. Without staging the trigger I am shooting low at that distance but I would easily get almost all shots within the 8 ring on a B27. The decent sights are a big help. Of course a realistic defensive situation would likely be much, much closer.

In my opinion a tiny 380 is far from an ideal carry gun. I only use in in situations where I can't carry anything bigger - then it is a great option to have available.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have an original LCP. Not fun to shoot. It’s accurate and reliable. The size is unbeatable.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    It’s nice to have several models to fall into and out of love with.

Right now;

85257BEE-2222-4401-8F5A-28DF5BEAF341.jpeg

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Too many threads to pick from, so putting this here. While plinking and somewhat seriously training with carry guns this weekend, had a chance to shoot the LCP-II right next to the LCP-Max.

Superficially they are SO close to each other. But the LCP-Max with a 12-round mag feels barely larger than the II, while doubling the capacity - and, interestingly:

The LCP-Max feels significantly more pleasant to shoot. I don’t think it’s just the 1/8” more chub in the grip, or (on your first couple of shots) the added mass of those extra half dozen rounds onboard. The recoil is better tuned somehow, and with that tiny bit more grip it just returns to target that much more quickly. The Max’s better sights also pay off noticeably, as well.

So the LCP-Max is definitely going to relegate the LCP-II to semi retirement. We were also shooting the Max-9, which while more of a handful size-wise, is still a very carry-comfortable pistol, and in 9mm over 380.

Of note, both LCPs behaved flawlessly for four shooters and a few hundred rounds.

C6381B6D-AB87-419C-96ED-5E2887E9D3CD.jpeg

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Have your LCP Max and Max-9 been reliable?

LCP and LCP2 seem to be very well established for consistency.
    The Max-9 needed Ruger’s attention - slide was locking back once in a while when it shouldn’t. The issued shipping info, and I had it back from them the same week, now working 100%

The LCP-Max has been great so far.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    OP back with another update. I finally did pick up another .380. The call of the PPK/s finally got to me. Picking one up from 7 day purgatory next week.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP back with another update. I finally did pick up another .380. The call of the PPK/s finally got to me. Picking one up from 7 day purgatory next week.
    Sweet! Give us a report once you get it to the range.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I think you'll like it! I like mine enough I've ended up with a pair - one vintage and one new for a range toy and carry. I find I just shoot them well. They conceal well. I've never had a reliability issue, and one of the best looking guns out there. A real classic for a reason.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Congrats! A PPK is on my bucket list. Post pics when you pick it up?
    I picked the PPK/s up today. I've never been one for comment on packaging, but this one needs it. It came in a small externally molded case that was compact and well fitted. Inside was cut precisely to the gun and mag. As expected, it's a classic and well designed gun. Very well balanced in the hand. Disassembled for inspection and cleaning this evening. First range session and report forthcoming tomorrow as I've got the day off to play at the range. Now off to find some 9mm kurz to feed it. :innocent0

PPKs1.jpg

PPKs2.jpg

PPKs3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom