• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I recently picked up a very nice Mas 36 and I took it out for the first range trip today. I've never shot one before, but it has a nice feel and balance. The recoil is not unpleasant either. I was shooting 50 yards with some PPU 7.5X54 French and it grouped well with accurate windage, but shot about 6 inches high. At 100 yards it rose up to about 12 inches or so. The problem with a Mas 36 is there are no sight adjusters. Any suggestions?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Aim 6 inches low at 50 yards and 12 inches low at 100 yards.

About all you can do.

Can you file the rear sight down and then deepen the notch? That would drop the point of impact.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Taller replacement front sight blades/posts?

Weld it up and file it to impact properly.

front sight.jpg

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Most military rifles have the sights set for 200 to 300 yards so they will be high at 100 yards.

Yeah, this does have 200 meters for the first setting. I don't think it would drop 12 inches between 100 and 200 though. I just saw that you can actually push the aperture down a bit because it's spring loaded. I could probably push it down a put some sort of shim in there. Hmmmmm.... now.... what to use for a shim?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If I think the rifle is accurate or I will shoot it more than a few times a year, I'll buy a taller front sight if available.
    I have purchased taller front sights for my Mosin, Swedish Mauser, Finn mosin, K31
    Some others, I dabbed the JB weld and filed down. As said, the JB weld can be removed.
    I've often thought about having my son make some slip on 3D printed extensions with different sizes and then tack glue them on.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There are different rear sight leafs that you can buy to make you point of impact where you aim. They sell them for most situations, left, right, up or down and a few combinations of both.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...s-37344/BoltActionRifles-39119/1936-35465.htm

That's how French armorers zeroed MAS 36 rifles. I can't remember another arm that used the same method. Quirky to be sure.
    I'd never thought about using a 3D printer to make a custom sight. Don't know if the plastic could hold up to the recoil forces but it would make for an interesting experiment.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My son made me a rear sight on his 3D printer for my Spanish 308.
    He made the rear sight drift able because I could not get the front to budge

Plastic seemed to hold up fine but I'd say I only have 100 rounds through it.
    Key is to make things smaller and tighter and file it to fit so it does not wiggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Well, I got the altitude worked out through handloading. I first tried a 165 grain bullet and it shot much too low. Then I loaded some 150 grain bullets over about 39gr of I4895 and it now shoots right on the money. The attached pic is of a 100 yard 6 shot group using the 150gr bullets. The first shot was too low because I had the sight picture held at a 6 o'clock hold and the sight was set at 200 meters. I moved the sight to 300 meters and, as you can see the second shot was too high. So, I kept it at 300 meters and put the sight on the bull as opposed to 6 o'clock and it was good and shot the last four rounds in a tight group. I normally shoot at 100 yards, so this set up is what I want. By having the 100 yard groups on the second click of the elevation that gives me more variables for different yardages. The windage was consistent in all of the shots. If you look closely you can see I marked a target like the one the French armorers use to determine the correct windage for rifle and the rounds fell into the G4 square. I was actually able to find a G4 sight leaf on Gunbroker the next day. I just installed it last night and will try it out early this week.

Attachments

• 14731331_10207652612659886_2037188634158594626_n.jpg
      14731331_10207652612659886_2037188634158594626_n.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 72
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88