• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Couldn't find the thread, so I'll post this here. Just happened to look out my window. Dog is currently going nuts.

UPS chased him off and now the vultures have taken over with their typical squabbling.

Went out to see what he was eating - a big snapper! Probably hit by a car and he brought it over to my yard.

Attachments

• 20220427_101417.jpg
      20220427_101417.jpg
      282.9 KB · Views: 142

Mr H

Banana'd
    We were out at McKeldin yesterday, and at the top of the Falls Trail, we found Warblerville.

Black & White
    Black Throated Blue
    Chestnut Sided
    Cerulean
    Yellow Rump
    Redstart
    Canada

And maybe even one or two I couldn't get a good look at.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We spent Wed at Assateague (too windy for much), and yesterday at Blackwater.

SO much to see at BWNWR, including 11 new birds on the year list (White Pelican and Clapper Rail for highlights). Easily a dozen Bald Eagles, 8 Harriers, and of course the requisite thousands of Canada Geese, Snow Geese and Tundra Swans.

Another half-dozen Eagles in this area today, including a pair "dancing" in courtship.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Amazing today over on the ES and Blackwater NWR

On our way out to BW, on Egypt Rd., we saw a single turkey walking in a field (more later)

On the refuge itself, the eagles stole the show! We had to have seen no fewer than 50 individuals, of all ages. There were even a few osprey harassing an eagle nest... and the eagles were having none of it ;)

Got a peek at the Great Horned Owl nest that they are trying to keep a well-held secret :rolleyes: Only one hatchling made it. I even found a cluster of at least 5 Great Blue Heron nests.

Terns and swallows are starting to return in numbers, though Red Head Woodpeckers remain elusive.

One of the first things we saw, though, was the kicker. After talking with a few other folks to confirm their sightings, we are certain that we got a look at one of several Golden Eagles that have been hanging around the refuge.

All in all, a really not sucky day ;);)

Well, until we headed back and saw that turkey again... on the side of the road... flat...

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Amazing today over on the ES and Blackwater NWR

On our way out to BW, on Egypt Rd., we saw a single turkey walking in a field (more later)

On the refuge itself, the eagles stole the show! We had to have seen no fewer than 50 individuals, of all ages. There were even a few osprey harassing an eagle nest... and the eagles were having none of it ;)

Got a peek at the Great Horned Owl nest that they are trying to keep a well-held secret :rolleyes: Only one hatchling made it. I even found a cluster of at least 5 Great Blue Heron nests.

Terns and swallows are starting to return in numbers, though Red Head Woodpeckers remain elusive.

One of the first things we saw, though, was the kicker. After talking with a few other folks to confirm their sightings, we are certain that we got a look at one of several Golden Eagles that have been hanging around the refuge.

All in all, a really not sucky day ;);)

Well, until we headed back and saw that turkey again... on the side of the road... flat...

Nice!
    First golden eagle I ever saw was in Blackwater in the late '70s. Used to hunt off Egypt Rd.
    Second one was around 2000, in Dorchester too.
    Had one hanging around a few days here in St Marys last year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom