• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    After an amazing Patriots Day weekend kickoff at Sanners we have THREE spots available at our upcoming Patriots Day rimfire-only event at AAFG in Annapolis this Saturday and Sunday (April 23-24). Looks like the weather will be IDEAL with clouds and highs in the low 70s. Should be a great event with a great mix of shooters and instructors. Loaners are available if you need them. Hit those sign ups and let's sell out this event!

Special full color Rifleman patches available!

175853342_10224649344076510_2061013204657789852_n.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    A fantastic Patriot's Day weekend was had by all. Eighteen shooters arrived Saturday morning to the sounds of fife and drums playing in the background. While in period dress, volunteers checked our participants in. After delivering our range safety briefs and covering line commands, shooters were assigned to one of two relays. Our first target was the Red Coat target. And I am proud to announce that James S., Patrick M. and Matt G. cleared the target, earning Maryland's Immortal 400 patch.

Rifles were sighted in and ample time spent on practicing the 6 steps of firing a shot, Lunch came fast and shooters were treated with the telling of the first strike accompanied by sound effects.

Once shooters were comfortable with each of the positions and transitions, it was time for our first AQT. I knew a few would score Rifleman since we had some veteran Appleseeders attending. I was impressed and proud to report that more than a few shot a Rifleman score right out of the gate.

Andy W. (221)
    Matt G. (240 Distinguished optics)
    Paul G. (217)
    Jim B. (225)
    Joe H. (228)
    John M. (236)
    Bill K. (228)
    James L. (232)
    James E. (230)
    John G. (219)

I continued to be impressed by this entire group of shooters. In the morning, four were able to hit Morgan's shingle. We wrapped up the day with 13 shooters hitting the shingle and 12 proved to be effective to over 300 yards.

Shooters returned Sunday anxious to get started. Following a Red Coat target and sighting in a few new rifles, shooters were itching to get back to AQTs and earning that special Patriot's Day Rifleman patch. Many of our shooters recognized that becoming a Rifleman is a journey and all showed that they know what they are about. We saw consistent improvement as the day went. I truly cannot say enough great things about this group. Everyone was safety vigilant, supportive of each other and pushed each other to their fullest.

At the end of several AQTs I am very happy to announce the following shooters achieved Rifleman on Sunday:

Andy W. (219, 231, 235)
    Patrick M. (213, 222)
    Paul G. (219, 228, 238)
    Bill K. (214, 241 Distinguished Optics, 242 Distinguished Optics)
    Jim B (221, 221, 223)
    James E. (225)
    Matt G (237, 239)
    James L. (214, 221)
    James E. (227, 236)
    John M. (230)
    John G. (215)

Instructors requalified:
    Pat K. (245 Distinguished Optics)
    Scott R. (227)
    Jim T. (227)

It took everything I had not to choke up as we remembered the Patriots that gave their lives for liberty. Thank you for helping us recognize their sacrifices!

More shooters cleared the last Red Coat target of the weekend. Many came very close. Congratulations to the following shooter who earned Maryland's Immortal 400 patch:

James S.
    Pat M.
    Matt G.
    John M.
    James L.
    James E.
    Andy W.
    Michael G.

To my youth shooters Jake, Nick, James and Shane - You stuck in there and I am certain have made William Diamond proud. Shane was designated our sniper of the day where he remained in the prone position and managed to pull off a 216 on his AQT.

Every shooter gave it their all. I would bet the house that we will see each of you obtain a Rifleman score soon. I encourage everyone to practice dry firing as we discussed and come back soon.

And of course this weekend was such a success because of the brilliant team of volunteers. Liberty Boy gave us a feeling of being back in the 18th century sporting his period dress and providing sound effects during the history presentations. Lycos continued to show his dedication presenting IMCs, the 6 steps to firing a shot, and was joined by Off Paper on Sunday providing RSO duties and coaching shooters on the line. BeSwift provided a level of mentoring and instruction expected of a Senior Instructor. And Catch-10-22 exceed all standards. Thanks for providing loaner rifles, coaching shooters and mentoring instructors.

Lastly, thanks again to our host range, Anne Arundel Fish and Game for allowing us to use your excellent facilities.

Please join me in thanking all of our shooters for coming out for Liberty.
    Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Check out more pics on Facebook or on the Appleseed forums AAR.

3T4r0YP.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I am excited to announce that we have THREE 2-day rimfire-only Appleseed pistol clinics in Annapolis open for registration this morning, with links to the event pages below!

July 16-17
    October 15-16
    November 19-20

These events have sold out quickly, so if you are interested, I suggested you jump on them right away. We are working hard to create even more Pistol events in Maryland and West Virginia, so stay tuned.
    '
    If you have any questions on the Pistol events, feel free to post them here or send me a PM. I will post a preview of the pistol course in a future post.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD

May 14-15, 2022 Marriottsville, MD 2 Day Event

Apoligies for the late AAR. Saturday saw dreary and overcast skies over the AGC range, in Marriottsville, MD but 10 students saw fit to come out and give it go at achieving their Rifleman designation. FOUR of which, hauled all the way down from Long Island NY for the event! (#Dedication
    :bow:
    O0
    ).

All shooters progressed nicely, with 1 AQT being fired at the end of the first day.

Sunday, saw all 10 shooters back on the line, with several reaching the 180-205 plateaus we all know from our own experience on the line. However, one young lady scored a 214 by days end to earn her Rifleman patch - Huzzah! Another shooter managed to clean the final AQT of the day, earning his MD Immortal 400 patch.

All students were attentive to the history, and one of our vols successfully earned his full instructor Red Hat to be presented at Annapolis this coming weekend!

Overall great event, with great odds all will continue their journey to Rifleman.

Pictures are available on the Maryland Appleseed Facebook page.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    May 21-22, 2022 Annapolis, MD 2 Day Event

Another excellent event hosted by Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) in Annapolis, MD saw 14 shooters brave unseasonably hot weather (in the 90s, breaking record highs in our area) for a full weekend celebrating history and marksmanship!

Saturday's first Red Coat target showed that shooters that had some skill coming into the event - while no one cleaned the target, we did have 6 hits on the Shingle. But through a series of squares targets, shooters built increasing confidence in their zeros and trust in their rifles. At lunch, we covered the first strike of the match before practicing seated and standing positions. Once shooters seemed comfortable and ready, we did our first AQT of the weekend. Three shooters qualified right out of the gate: Mark M with a 219 (re-qualifying with his bolt action CZ), Benjamin R (first time Rifleman) with a 216, and Josh S (first time Appleseeder!) with a 214 - HUZZAH! Mark and Ben would follow-up those performances on the Saturday afternoon Red Coat by both cleaning the target to earn their Immortal 400 patches and our shooters continued to pound that shingle with 6 more hits in the afternoon. Due to the heat, shooters (and instructors) were exhausted and we hoped a good nights sleep and lots of water would set us up for success the next day.

Sunday morning's Red Coat also started strong with Josh adding his name to the rolls of the Immortal 400; Mark and Ben also cleaned the target right of the gate. Through an abundance of Instructors and RSOs, we were then able to do an AQT with one relay while doing Carding the Sights and NPOA drills using laser rifles with the other relay. The student really enjoyed the one-on-one instruction and feedback off the line and NPOA finally "clicked" for more than one participant. That would be reflected in increasing scores as the day continued, with several shooter seeing 40-50 point improvements! Second and Third Strike were presented during lunch with strong engagement from students answering questions presented by the Shoot Boss. As we got back to the AQT grind, Mark, Josh, and Ben qualified several more times each to show they know what they are about. Matt G jumped into the mix on Saturday with 3 qualifying scores and the high score of the weekend at 231 (just edging first timer Josh's 229). Mark and Josh continued their dominance of the Red Coat target by cleaning the final target of the weekend. We finished with our benediction and clean-up ahead of bad thunderstorms that hit later in the evening.

I can't thank our participants enough for their perseverance through sweltering weather, their dedication to safety, and their engagement in the history. For those of you that asked about how you can further support the program, we really appreciate it and hope to see you at a future event as a student or a volunteer.

And speaking of volunteers, this was a great weekend for our instructors as well. Agent711 dropped by and we had a ceremony to present him his 25-shoot pin. Off_paper was awarded his Red Hat and officially retired his Orange Hat. Kniwolf started his SBiT journey toward Green Hat. And ProgressNotPerfection was awarded her Blue Hat (mainly because we had couldn't find one for her first shoot) and gave excellent support to the event. I had a number of shooters pull me aside to talk about the excellence of the instruction for the weekend and even our most experienced shooters told me about specific advice and tips provided by instructors that made a difference to them.

Pictures will be posted (soon) to our Maryland Appleseed Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Project-Appleseed-Maryland-264406060313831/ but are also available here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/88g8diBFeP4FtRPW9

Hope to see everyone on the line at a future event!

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    June 4-5, 2022 Abbottstown, PA 2-Day Pistol Event
    What a great weekend with our first pistol event at York & Adams Game & Fish Association in Abbottstown, PA. With its proximity to the Maryland border, this was a joint PA-MD instructor led event as well as one that attracted 16 students from both states in two relays of 8!

It wasn't Caliente Seed hot, but it was a very sunny and warm June weekend - luckily we had a large number of canopies to cover the firing line and equipment line to keep our shooters (and instructors) in some shade.

After our introductory and safety briefs, shooting on Saturday began with the Red Coat target. It was clear that some of our shooters came with some skill and confidence in their handguns while others were ready to learn but no one was able to clean the target. We then launched into the core instruction and drills with the circle targets, working on stance, grip, and the 6-steps to firing a shot over the course of the morning. We worked with different shooters individually with SIRT pistols and on the line to build confidence and skills between drills. We covered the First Strike of the Match during lunch time and then worked on smooth reloads, controlled pair, rapid fire, target transitions, and left/right hand only. After a rousing Second Strike by BBQ_Bandit, we were able to conduct our first PQT of the weekend. While the target was scored overnight, we had 3 shooters earn their Pistoleer patches on that first target: Bruce with a stellar 231, George with a nearly equally stellar 230, and Tom with a very impressive 218. Blue Hat Crystal, who had signed up as a shooter, came very close with a 209 and a couple others were knocking on the door with scores just over 200. The Saturday afternoon Red Coat showed significant progress - not only did George and Bruce clean the target (HUZZAH!) but we had 5 shooters demonstrate a 100 yard effective range and 4 hit Pitcairn's button.

Sunday started off with another safety exercise led by EZ3 and then the Red Coat target. While 6 hit the button, only 1 cleared the target. We then kicked off a series of warm-up drills to build back confidence ahead of the PQT grind. We were able to get in two PQTs before lunch, when the Third Strike of the Match was presented (and targets were furiously scored by instructors). Jim, Mark, and Shannon all earned their Pistoleer patches, while George, Bruce, and Tom continued to requalify. We were able to conduct 2 more PQTs, broken up by Sam and Sam (presented by EZ3) and The Onion of Self Defense/Holster-Belt (presented by kniwolf). And while we would typically see a decline in scores toward the end of the day, we had TWO more students break through and earn their Pistoleer patches! Donald, who had consistently been in the 190s, scored a 213 and Crystal scored a 210 and was baptized in the water of the North Bridge for her troubles
    ;D

The final Red Coat had FOUR folks clean it, including Mark and Crystal for the first time during the weekend (Bruce and George made it look easy again). Bruce was our high scorer of the weekend with a 234.

Even those that did not earn their Pistoleer patch showed SIGNIFICANT improvement over the weekend. We saw 50-60 point increases from a good many folks as we progressed and had a number of folks (Adam, Derek) consistently in the 190s but just a few hits away. We hope you come to a future event and earn that patch! If we had an award for most improved shooter, it would have to go to Renae - she started the weekend without a clear idea of sight alignment and not only was one hit away from cleaning 2 red coats (that darn button!) but scored a 195 on her final target - Huzzah! Many other folks struggled with equipment issues and will probably bring different pistols next time, but everyone "leveled-up" and persevered through frustration. While our saying is "A Rifleman Persists" I promise that the same thing is true of a Pistoleer, maybe more so!

We wrapped with Benediction and really appreciated all of the students pitching in with clean-up and take-down activities.

I would like to thank York & Adams for being incredible hosts - we hope to do more pistol and rifle events soon. Their pistol bay was ideal for us and we hope the club members that attended or visited spread the word. I would also like to once again thank our dedicated volunteers - Lee, Charles, Bob, and Crystal, you did an amazing job with a large group of students by Pistol standards. You should feel proud. And thank you to our shooters for their commitment to safety, learning, and liberty. We hope to see you at a future event!

Pictures are available here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=czc5SlFCcTkzN3hLM29XR1c4UDhQZ1NNWHZuNm9n

kniwolf

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    Apr 5, 2012
    Events at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club are Live!

We have approved dates posted for our two-day pistol clinics at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club in Thurmont, MD.

July 30-31

August 20-21

October 1-2

December 10 - 11

The events at Thurmont allow both rimfire and centerfire! This is a great facility, and students can also camp on site! Hope to see you on the line!

Events at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club are Live!

We have approved dates posted for our two-day pistol clinics at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club in Thurmont, MD.

July 30-31

August 20-21

October 1-2

December 10 - 11

The events at Thurmont allow both rimfire and centerfire! This is a great facility, and students can also camp on site! Hope to see you on the line!

Great Job Maryland Project Appleseed crew at promoting Project Appleseed and also the exciting new "Pistol Seed" clinics!
    Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update to MDS on Project Appleseed - I was on vacation and then we have had a number of events knocked out and time got away from me. Needless to say, we have a TON of great events in the books and coming up and I will try to do better at keeping you updated. But we have run EIGHT amazing events since early July.

First, on June 11 we had our first 200-yard Rimfire Known Distance event of the year in Sudlersville, MD. Shooters managed to complete 3 AQT's, with SIX out of SEVEN shooters earning their Rimfire KD rockers! We even had one shooter who drove from the NY Canadian border, just for this event, and he managed Distinguished shooting nearly perfect scores!

Second, on June 18 we had four shooters attend a half-day rifle clinic at AAFG in Annapolis, MD. The sky was clear and blue for this small group of four shooters. The first shooter brought an old borrowed rifle that had not been fired in a while and another came to the line with a brand new Tippmann and scope the shooter mounted. So when rifles were removed from their cases, our volunteers went over each rifle inspecting mounts, scopes and other rifle parts. They did a better job the Jiffy Lube. Once rifles were deemed safe and functional, we even bore sighted each which only took a few minutes and hopefully saved time and ammo because the first squares had rounds on paper. After reviewing the steady hold factors and the steps to firing a shot, we spent time with each shooter until they were both comfortable in the prone position and The course of fire saw some groups that were not bad. Rifles were sighted in and shooters were introduced to magazine changes, practiced shifting and acquiring NPOA. Hits count target was introduced and we spent a few minutes talking about Daniel Morgan and his Riflemen. We wrapped up the day awarding Appleseed pins to each of the shooters.

Third, on June 19, Weather was fantastic on this Father's day one-day rifle shoot at AAFG in Annapolis, MD. Nick S cleared the target on the first Red Coat target of the day earning his place in Maryland's Immortal 400. Congratulations! His family came down from PA and I learned they had already toured around Boston and were eager to hear more about the events around the North Bridge and other significant places along Battle Road. Our morning was filled with instruction and practicing the fundamentals of marksmanship. Lunch was enjoyed while hearing the first and second strikes. Then after lunch shooters were introduced to seated and standing positions and transitioning was added. A practice AQT was followed up by the timed AQT. Every shooter was very safe throughout the entire day. Ending the day with a Red Coat and a few more able to hit Morgan's shingle. Fantastic job everyone!

Fourth, on July 9 we had a one day Rifle clinic at AAFG in Annapolis, MD. The forecast called for 4 to 7 inches of rain, and we got a least 3-4 for a very soggy Appleseed. Despite such challenging, soaking to the bone, conditions, we still had 3 hardy individuals attend ranging from a brand new young shooter, to prior attendees. While we ended the day without adding any new Riflemen to the cadre, all shooters showed progress on their journey to Rifleman. Future Rifleman take time to grow, and this class was about growth in skills.

Fifth, on July 16-17 we had a Pistol clinic at AAFG in Annapolis, MD. We expect July to be hot in Maryland and the weather delivered with hot, humid, and sunny weather for most of the weekend. Luckily we were prepared with canopies over the firing and equipment lines to help moderate the sun and heat. Saturday started with a "hatting" ceremony - ProgressNotPerfection took her Orange hat after some minor (ahem, year-long) cajoling. We started shooting with the Pistol Red Coat target...and we realized from the results that this class had a lot to work on. So we started with instruction and drills to build core skills - stance, grip, 6 steps to firing a shot, and trigger control. As groups improved significantly, we started adding smooth reloads, controlled pairs, target transitions, one-handed shooting, and rapid fire. We broke up the instruction, demos, and shooting with a rousing First Strike by BBQ_Bandit at lunch to the applause of the students. With significant progress shown by all students, we put up our first two PQTs of the weekend. We had a few students in the 190s and even had a couple students - Brian S, and Andrew C - in the low to mid 200s! But while no students qualified out of the gate, we did have two instructors requalify Pistoleer - ProgressNotPerfection and Off_Paper demonstrating they know what they are about. Unfortunately there was a lot of thunder rumbling in the distance and the radar was lit up like a Christmas Tree so we had to get packed up quickly and earlier than expected and had to skip the Saturday Afternoon Red Coat. Luckily we were finished before the downpour started and students were very happy not to get caught in it. Shooting Sunday began with the Red Coat and this time it was BBQ_Bandit clearing the target one-handed to earn his Maryland Immortal 400 patch! He would also requalify Pistoleer with a 227 before the weekend was over! We did some warm-up drills and instructional refreshers to build back up skills and confidence, then listened to an excellent Second Strike from Off_Paper before the first two PQTs of Sunday. Some of our students finally broke through - Jack M qualify with a solid 217 and retired instructor Andrew C qualified with a 218 - Huzzah! BBQ_Bandit then delivered Third Strike at lunch which was followed by a fun Big Dot Little Dot competition amongst the students with Jack M taking first place. Kniwolf covered the Onion of Self Defense and Holster considerations/instruction in between PQTs. Our history wrapped with Sam & Sam delivered by yours truly (Catch-10-22). While no additional students qualified, we did have another instructor CatGravity FINALLY earn his Pistoleer to become a fully qualified Pistol Shoot Boss! As PQT scores were generally curving down as the heat and tiredness ramped up, we wrapped with the final Red Coat target. One of our students had to give up his spot this weekend with significant burns on his trigger side hand - Jeff came to watch his friends shoot and the shoot boss offered to have him shoot the final Red Coat as a consolation prize. But even with a burned hand and no practice Jeff went ahead and cleaned the final Red Coat of the day - a Pistoleer persists!

Sixth, on July 30 we had a great inaugural event in Parsons, WV. 7 students joined us on the line on private property, affiliated with the Patriots4 non-profit group. Saturday saw amazing weather, great esprit de corps, and by days ends, several students were just shy of achieving the magical 210 mark. Sunday, saw overcast and rain, but all students returned, with renewed commitment to meet the goal of scoring Expert and earning their Rifleman patch. With tons of hard work, ALL students showed remarkable progress, as we did our best to wear 'em out in the Rifleman's Grind. The day was cut a bit short, due to torrential rain but 1 student pushed thru the 210 barrier convincingly, with several others between 195-209. THANK YOU to our hosts, Patriots4, our students, and vols who made the trek to this amazing area.

Seventh, on August 6, we had a great one-day rifle clinic at Sanners Lake Sportsmen Club in Lexington Park, MD. Four shooters, with no prior Appleseeds under their belts came out for a very humid and hot day of marksmanship and history. At least half were new to their equipment. With bits of cloud cover, intermittent showers, and then pure sun and heat to finish the day, our cadre of shooters applied their new skills. As the day went on, scores increased markedly, as each student got more comfortable with their technique and equipment. Many students were observed consulting the target analysis section of their handout to self diagnose their performance. Everyone enjoyed themselves, as evidenced by the requests to continue as long as possible, and so it was a long day had by all.

Finally (Eighth - really behind!), this past weekend (August 13) we had a one-day private "milseed" rifle clinic for members of the Maryland Air National Guard at the Gunpowder Military Reservation National Guard training range in Glen Arm, MD (outside of Baltimore). Saturday started sunny and cool with temps in the low 60s - absolutely delightful! After we finished all of our admin and safety rules, the Wing kicked off the first Hits Count (Redcoat) target of the day. We had three folks demonstrate proficiency to 300 yards off the bat, but we clearly had some work to do. Much of the morning was spent on squares targets, tightening groups with loop slings, prone steady hold factors, the 6 steps to firing a shot, and NPOA. It was great to see groups shrink and we were able to use IMC to make sighing adjustments to several rifles. The morning ended with practicing the seated position and the temperatures were starting to rise a bit as the sun peaked around the covered part of the line. A well earned lunch and sun-break break ensued with Off_paper covering all three Strikes of the Match for a very attentive audience. After lunch we did demos and practice of the standing position, leading to our first AQT of the day. First time Appleseeder Charles P (210) qualified on the first target with his bolt action rifle - Huzzah! Alex I requalified with a 222 as well. We had several shooters knocking on the door with scores in the 170s-190s but on the second AQT, a number of malfunctions crept in that kept nearly all of the shooters from breaking through (Alex requalified again with a 221). While all were hot, sweaty, and tired, we decided we had time for one more AQT for the day, with some shooters getting replacement loaner rifles. This time Michael S, a second time Appleseeder, scored Rifleman with a 222 using a loaner bullpup 10/22 with a red dot after his rifle stopped functioning. Alex had the high score of the weekend with a 232! Again, several shooters were close but thwarted by malfunctions or miscounts. The final Red Coat target showed significant improvement, with 2 shooters cleaning the target to earn their Maryland Immortal 400 Patch: Edgar E, a first time Appleseeder and Alex I. We also had 4 hits on the shingle and Charles P was millimeters away from cleaning it with one miss.

Pictures for all of these events are on our Maryland Project Appleseed Facebook page.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Ok, whew, now that we are all caught up on past shoots, I wanted to provide folks with a preview of upcoming events in the late summer.

This weekend, August 20, we have THREE events we are running simultaneously across the state.

- We have a sold out shoot at Berwyn in Bowie on Saturday, August 20.

- There are still spots available for a one-day rifle clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on August 20.

- And there are still spots available for our first two-day pistol clinic in Thurmont, MD on August 20-21! The pistol clinics have typically been sold out early so this is a great chance to jump into a class if you have been waiting for the right opportunity!

September also has four different events on the calendar.

- There are just a couple slots open for our first two-day pistol clinic in Marriottsville, MD on September 3-5! This is our first pistol event in the action bays at AGC and, again, pistol clinics have typically been sold out early so this is a great chance to jump into a class if you have been waiting for the right opportunity!

- There are still spots available for a two-day rimfire rifle clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on September 10-11.

- That same weekend there are spots available for a two-day rifle clinic at AGC in Marriottsville.

- September wraps up with a one-day rifle clinic at SLSC in Lexington Park.

October, November, and December offer TEN different events including rifle, pistol, and 200-yard rimfire known distance clinics. So if you are planning your fall and winter shooting weekends, now is a good time to see what is available before events sell out (which a few actually have).

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    We had THREE great clinics this past weekend all across the great state of Maryland.

Shoot Boss Kevin hosted a wonderful group of shooters at AAFG in Annapolis. Some were new and some were continuing their Rifleman journey. Of course one would have thought all of these shooters were experienced after witnessing their first couple courses of fire. He also had the pleasure of meeting one of our own, ABCgarand, who proved he still has it by clearing the redcoat earning the highly coveted Maryland Immortal 400 patch. Following a presentation of IMCs, and some discussion, light bulbs went off when it sunk in that those clicks do not equal minutes of angle. With this newly acquired knowledge we were able to get everyone's rifle zeroed in no time. The morning moved smoothly through applying NPOA, practicing mag changing, focusing on the six steps of firing every shot. This group quickly and confidently applied everything we pointed out during our coaching. This was evident as we saw shotgun groups shrink to sub 4MOA. It was time for lunch and my favorite part of the day. Shooters enjoyed an energetic presentation of the 1st Strike complete with portraits of characters. Shooters were left on the edge of their seat following the aftermath of the events in Lexington, but he promised we would continue the story later. Back to instruction, shooters learned and practiced seated positions, standing positions, and added the transitions from standing. Seeing these shooter's flawless execution of all the skills covered we were ready to tackle our first AQT. And with that announcement, a race to earn their Rifleman qualification began between several shooters. The competition began as Amy C asked "who will earn their patch first, her or her dad, Roger C. Many thanks to both of these shooters who brought with them Mark F. I should mention that Mark stuck in there all day using open sights. On the end, Jason O also really gave it his all. Groups looked really promising leading into the AQT, but then a couple of misfires, failures to feed did not help. Next down the line, Sarah B was accompanied by our very own ABCgarand (Andrew C). Kevin was very impressed by Sarah's marksmanship right out of the gate. And there was of course some friendly family competition amongst these two as well. At the end of the first AQT, Roger C with a score of 207 and Chad M a 208 were so close. On the second AQT, Chad M earned his Rifleman qualification with a score of 214 and Andrew C proved he still has it with a score of 223. Huzzah! With the long day drawing to a close, Kevin shared the 2nd and 3rd strikes. This was a nice break for shooters and a chance to reflect on the sacrifices made by those early Americans who defended Liberties we still enjoy to this day. Not to mention that without them we'd still be speaking English :D We wrapped up our day with the final Red Coat. Several were able to push through this final course of fire and their hard work was seen in their scores. The morning only saw two shooters effective past 300 yards. They came, they listened, they proved they know what they're about. Three proved effective at 400 yard, two over 300 and another effective over 200 yards. Thanks to each of you for coming out and giving your all. I know that every one of you will one day soon earn your very own Rifleman patch. Keep practicing and I look forward to seeing you back at an Appleseed to prove you can do it. Kevin was also excited to officially welcome Bolt-Action (Patrick) as our newest IIT, presenting him with his orange hat. Thank you for a job well done presenting safety, making rifles safe, and helping keep our shooters safe.

Shoot Boss Doug hosted an entire family unit on the line on Saturday's one day, sold-out event at Berwyn in Bowie. As a clear demonstration of 7th stepping, a full spectrum of skills were represented, with several former Riflemen, several beginners, and some intermediates looking to hone their skills, with half of the group new to Appleseed. With sunshine, cool breezes, eight shooters with the same brand, and sporting optics on each, exercised their technique following instruction, and thoroughly enjoyed the history. As a family unit, there was plenty of good banter, words of encouragement, and just the slightest indication of internal competition amongst the students! A very enjoyable day, with 2 family members achieving the monicker "Rifleman." Many thanks to Berwyn Rod & Gun Club for hosting this event, and their RSO support staff.

Finally, Shoot Boss Jim (me) hosted our inaugrual event at Thurmont Conservation & Sportsman's Club, with 5 shooters joining us for a weekend of pistol marksmanship instruction and history! Temperatures were reasonable in the mid-80s and while the sun was pretty intense, we had enough canopies to cover the firing line and equipment lines to keep shooters (and instructors) fresh. Saturday kicked off with the Red Coat target and although it was clear that we had some work to do, we did have 3 shooters qualify at some distance. We started with instruction and drills to build core skills - stance, grip, 6 steps to firing a shot, and trigger control. As groups improved significantly, we started adding smooth reloads, controlled pairs, target transitions, one-handed shooting, and rapid fire. We broke up the instruction, demos, and shooting with a rousing First Strike by BBQ_Bandit at lunch and his Second Strike at an afternoon break. Students had lots of follow-up questions about specific aspects of the events and it was great to see them so engaged! With significant progress shown by all students, we put up our first PQTs of the weekend. Scott K scored a 198 to lead the group but we could see that folks were pretty worn out from all the practice. So up went our final Red Coat of the day. While no one cleaned the target, we did have two hits on the pesky button. Sunday started with quick instructional recaps and a fresh Red Coat target. While we did have 6 shooters qualify at some distance, including 3 with all 4 shots in the smallest 100-yard target, that button proved elusive, keeping the Maryland Immortal 400 patches in the box. After a series of warm-up drills, we did our first 2 PQTs of the day, broken up by kniwolf's excellent presentation on the Onion of Self Defense and Holster Demo/Considerations that generated a ton of discussion and questions. Folks were showing significant improvement over Saturday's scores - even if they were not putting together all 5 stages, we would see a near perfect Stage 1, a fantastic weak-hand stage, or some cloverleaf 5s on some of the Stage 5 targets. Scott came oh so close with a 208 - but then won the Maryland style big-dot, little-dot challenge with a perfect 20-20 hits. We did have two instructors requalify - husband and wife duo Kniwolf and ProgressNotPerfection kept peace in the family by scoring identical 214s. BBQ_Bandit completed the Strikes of the Match at lunch time but the weather started getting a bit ominous, with reported heavy storms approaching on radar. We got in one more PQT, packed up or staked down anything that could cut loose, and had students and some instructors move to the clubhouse for the "Sam & Sam" history led by yours truly. We also continued our discussion of holster and carry considerations, as students had a lot of follow-up questions as the rain slowed down. The sun came back out and we were able to get in 2 more PQTs before the final Red Coat of the day. I think folks were tired because the only two to clean the target were instructors Kniwolf and Catch-10-22 (me) but at least we didn't embarrass ourselves. I couldn't appreciate more the attention and dedication showed by the students - while no one earned the Pistoleer patch, everyone progressed throughout the weekend. And several folks - were within striking distance with scores in the 180s to 200s. I highly encourage you to practice what you learned with live and dry fire (which we talked about quite a bit during the rain break). Working under the pressure of the clock is something that some practice can also overcome. Everyone showed they had what it took! I also really appreciated the strong instructor presence and participation that made this a safe and successful. Kniwolf was our club sponsor and helped get us several events at the club this year - with the club president dropping by, I think we made a good impression - as well as sharing much of the core instruction and modules. BBQ_Bandit made this history memorable and it has been wonderful to see his progress in that regard. ProgressNotPerfection put on some amazing live fire demos and scored targets at a fast clip to keep up with the storms in addition to line duties on Sunday. We couldn't have done it without the full team - you have my thanks.

Pictures from all three events are available on the Maryland Appleseed Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Project-Appleseed-Maryland-264406060313831/

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    AGC in Marriottsville has been a great supporter of the Appleseed rifle program and this weekend we had our first Pistol clinic at the club! 7 shooters, including a group of 6 friends, joined us for a weekend of pistol marksmanship instruction and history!

Temperatures were in the mid-80s and maybe the low-90s so it was pretty hot without being stupid hot. The sun was pretty intense but we had enough canopies to cover the firing line and equipment lines to keep shooters (and instructors) reasonably fresh.

Saturday kicked off with the Red Coat target and it showed we had some shooters with skill, with 5 shooters qualifying at 60 yards. We started with instruction and drills to build core skills - stance, grip, 6 steps to firing a shot, and trigger control. As groups improved significantly, we started adding smooth reloads, controlled pairs, target transitions, one-handed shooting, and rapid fire. Off_paper then delivered an excellent First Strike at lunch.

With significant progress shown by all students and after one final practice on the donut precision targets, we put up our first PQTs of the weekend. Jack M requalified on the first target with a 217 - Huzzah! Mark was only a few points off with a 204. We were able to do two more PQTs on Saturday, broken up by Kniwolf's Onion of Self Defense discussion. While no one else qualified, we had several people hovering in the 180s-200s and were looking forward to a fresh start on Sunday. The Red Coat showed signs of people being tired and dehydrated, with score moving down slightly.

Sunday started with quick instructional recaps and a fresh Red Coat target. Scores moved back up and Chris (Pugs) nearly cleaned the target - we had about 3 instructors check the hole but couldn't see a tear in the red. After some warmup drills that showed folks were ON, we launched into the PQT grind. Susan struck first with a 211 for her first Pistoleer patch! She would requalify with a 213 and a 216 later in the day as well as win the Big Dot-Little Dot Challenge to show she knows what she is about. Susan has also decided to take a Blue Hat with the program

Red Hat Scott scored a 220 on his first PQT ever to earn his Pistoleer patch as well - as Susan's husband, he might have felt some pressure, but it didn't show. Chris (Pugs) would then earn the high score of the weekend with a 222 for his first Pistoleer patch - Huzzah! Chris had been consistently in the 200s so this was a significant breakthrough - he would requalify later with a 211.

For our other shooters it was not meant to be, though they showed significant improvement. Mark had the most frustrating weekend, with scores that were always in the 200s (earning him the friendly moniker "Mr. 205") but one stage or another would trip him up with a malfunction or an errant shot. This was his second pistol clinic and I KNOW that he will break through at the next one based on his improvement since that first event. Karen showed significant improvement from her first pistol clinic as well, scoring very consistently in the 180s and 190s. She even had a 49 in one of the rapid fire stages. Jeff was also consistently in the 180s and 190s but again would be tripped up in certain stages. Danny certainly had the skills but this was just not his weekend and I can't wait to have him back!

We wrapped up with the Red Coat target and Mark had a completely clean target till that damn button. Others were close and scores were good, but no Immortal 400 patches for the weekend.

We broke up the PQT grind on Sunday with Lycos delivering the 2nd and 3rd Strikes, Kniwolf talking about holsters and carry considerations, and Catch-10-22 delivering Sam & Sam and the final benediction. I really appreciate all of the instructors taking prominent roles this weekend and making the event a success!

Pictures are available in an online album here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RVRKZTFFbUpSMTVSZ1NHaXM5b2lXekdIN01PaURR

Hope to see you on the line at a future event - in fact, for many of you, I KNOW I will see you in Annapolis in October

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Another outstanding group of Americans made their way to Annapolis this weekend, for a great 2 day event.

Saturday, saw 12 students on the line, many of whom, were there as a group. Saturday saw great progress and concerted effort by all attendees, and by days end, one AQT was completed with two shooters breaking the 200 point barrier, knocking on the door to Rifleman.

Sunday saw 6 returning students to the line, so we had 2 additional instructors join the line to shoot. By days end, we had 2 newly minted Rifleman, and the rest of the class in the 180-195 range.

Thank you to all the students, volunteers, and host Club, Anne Arundel Fish & Game for a great weekend on the line, on our mission to help Save this Nation! Huzzah!

Pictures available on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=264406060313831&set=a.5415814605172925

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Thurmont Conservation & Sportsman's Club hosted our second event at the club this past weekend with 9 shooters joining us for a weekend of pistol marksmanship instruction and history!

Temperatures were in the mid 50's and it was mostly rain all weekend long due to remnants of Hurricane Ian. Thankfully, we had enough canopies to cover the firing line, the equipment line, and some spaces in between which kept students (and instructors) relatively dry.

Saturday kicked off with the Red Coat target which showed that this class definitely had some skill, but also had some room for improvement. We started with instruction and drills to build core skills - stance, grip, 6 steps to firing a shot, and trigger control. As groups improved significantly, we started adding smooth reloads, controlled pairs, target transitions, one-handed shooting, and rapid fire. We then broke up the instruction, demos, and shooting with a fantastic First Strike by BBQ_Bandit and his Second Strike at lunch.

With significant progress shown by all students, we put up our first PQTs of the weekend. Tom L led the charge with a 218, followed closely by our own Aaron K (Double-A-Ron) with a 215. Also, Logan R came to this event with a plan (and a new pistol), and it paid off with a 213. We had a few other students come close on the first day, notably Mike B. with a 181.

As the rain continued to come down, we shifted gears and put up our final Red Coat of the day. Two students cleaned the target, and in total 3 Maryland Immortal 400 patches were handed out on Saturday.

Sunday started with quick instructional recaps and a fresh Red Coat target. Rest and recovery proved beneficial for the class, as we had many students showing improvement over the prior days' redcoats. One student repeated their performance from the prior day and cleared the target again. We jumped right into a PQT, forgoing some of the warmup drills due to some prior student feedback. This proved successful, as we had quite a few requalification's right off the bat, along with a few other students knocking on the Pistoleer's door. Definitely a great way to start off day 2 of the event!

We were able to squeeze in two more PQTs before lunch, broken up by kniwolf's Onion of Self Defense presentation. The class was attentive throughout and participated quite a bit in the discussion of the Onion, which showed that the concepts were really hitting home.

Another PQT was had, and then it was time to break for Lunch. Off_paper presented an incredible 3rd Strike of the Match! Students had plenty of follow-up questions about specific aspects of the events; it was great to see them so captivated by the story and engaged! This was followed up with kniwolf's Hoster Demo & considerations, that also generated a ton of discussion and questions.

After lunch, it was back to the PQT grind. Folks were showing significant improvement over Saturday's scores (especially Alex I and Eric S). Thi and Sang P also made very good progress throughout the weekend, especially after some changes to a back strap and a nuanced grip review.

In between PQTs, we ran a big dot/little dot competition, which ended in a tie between Tom L and Aaron K! Catch-10-22 then laid out the sudden death shoot off challenge, which was a shot for shot Red Coat target, with a COF of 3 hits in all tombstones, and then as many hits as possible in the button. Both students made it to the button, where Aaron K made it out on top!

The last red coat of the day fell victim to Logan R, who was able to clean the target and earn his Maryland Immortal 400 patch.

Mike B got so close, with repeat scores of 196, and a few others in the 180s. Our own Aaron K (Double-A-Ron) consistently requalified, with a 227, 210, 216, and a 220. Jamie P (a new pistol shooter), proved that she was a natural shooter with consistently scoring incredibly well in stage 5, but mag changes eluded her for most of day 2 (to be fair, Ruger 22/45 mag changes are quite difficult under time). She pulled off a 207 with completely missing out on the second mag of stage 2. She persisted as any Pistoleer would, and on the final PQT of the day she was able to successfully complete a mag change on stage 2 and achieve a 218!

Logan R. took high score for the weekend, with a 235 (x2!), along with scores of 214, 223, and 233 (all centerfire with a dot). Tom L (a distinguished rifleman who has a few 250 patches) also proved that he knew well what he was about with scores of 227 and 218 with a rimfire dot, who then switched to a centerfire with irons and requalified with a 213 and a 214.

I can't say how thankful I am for the dedication and attention that the students showed throughout the weekend. The rain and the colder weather could've put a damper on the whole event, but everyone stayed focused and positive. The jovial mindset and humorous banter went a long way to make this one of the best Pistol Clinics that I've had the privilege of being a part of.

I highly encourage you all to practice what you learned with both live and dry fire. Working under the pressure of the clock is something that some practice can also overcome. Everyone showed they had what it took!

I also really appreciated the strong instructor presence and participation that made this a safe and successful event. BBQ_Bandit made this history memorable and wears his new Red Hat well. Off_paper did a phenomenal job with both history and student assistance, and I received many comments from students throughout the day praising him. Catch-10-22 provided strong leadership (as usual), along with providing a good portion of the core instruction AND solid live fire demos, all while suffering the effects of jet lag. He also fell on his sword and scored most of the targets throughout the weekend. ProgressNotPerfection was able to come out on Sunday and made her debut as line boss, to which she performed those duties admirably. Thank you all so much - we couldn't have done it without each and every one of you.

Pictures are available in an online album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXrHq2HioFz8MNMcA

Hope to see you on the line at a future event!

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Maryland Shooters!

There are only 2 spots left on the line for the October event in Kearneysville, WV!

Register here: Saturday/Sunday October 8 thru 9th; Regular, two-day Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship clinic.
    (At the Leetown Gun Club / Isaac Walton League of America (IWLA) range in Kearneysville, WV).

The event looks like cool weather is back, very comfortable on the range!

See you on the line!
    I knew this was coming as much as I knew I'd miss it. This is a goal of mine but I'm horribly wishywashy making "go" decisions. I'm not that far away. Have two boxes of 22 lr and a rifle with GI strap. Though the 3-9 scope has me hesitant. It seems I only have two chances a year at this. Sooner or later I will do it. Maybe next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom