• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Del-ton has complete heavy barrel rifle kits or complete uppers. Decent quality but not top tier. I used one recently to build a rifle for my brother.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Del-ton has complete heavy barrel rifle kits or complete uppers. Decent quality but not top tier. I used one recently to build a rifle for my brother.
    Del-Ton is an underrated brand and a good value.

I do like PSA and have a couple of PSA uppers. That being said, both of those went through the SOTAR build class. PSA does not (IMHO) does not have the same QC that other companies (e.g. Colt, Windham) do. Buyer beware.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Best bet is always: Buy a complete lower group (cash-and-carry), then buy all parts to build the upper, including an MD-compliant barrel (e.g., from Engage, Centurion, etc.) Depending on where you source the parts, you might even save money. It's still possible to have a configuration in MD that is (essentially) the same as an AR in a free state. (E.g., Engage Armament sells Geissele Super Duty rifles that are pretty much the same as the factory guns, except that they've had barrels swapped for barrels marked "HB".)
    I would trust Engage.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have a post sight style that has been sitting for 20+ years. Flat tops are more versatile. JMO

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a post sight style that has been sitting for 20+ years. Flat tops are more versatile. JMO
    Agree, though I do have a 10.5” upper with an A2 upper that is a lot of fun to shoot steel with. I still like irons.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Del-Ton is an underrated brand and a good value.

I do like PSA and have a couple of PSA uppers. That being said, both of those went through the SOTAR build class. PSA does not (IMHO) does not have the same QC that other companies (e.g. Colt, Windham) do. Buyer beware.
    My first AR Build was a blem Del-Ton HBAR mid-length rifle kit - from what I could see is the only thing that was blemished on it was the pistol grip, which was marred. It was by far my least expensive AR, but at this point I have some decent upgrades to try to make it a kind-of M4 look and feel that also shoots well. It has a 1:9 barrel that's solidly accurate for what it is.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nice! This looks like a great kit. Thanks for sharing that. And no FFL. I may wait for it to go on sale. Otherwise, it looks like a winner.
    I would tear that whole upper apart and rebuild it if it were me. I agree that it is a good deal. Does PSA still use FN barrels? I don't know - maybe. That would be a plus if so. If you end up getting that upper let us know how it shoots.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Actually - there's this, like half price. You have to build it though. Heck, I'll build it for you, bring it over.

I don’t have a huge problem with Windham guns/uppers, but IMHO, if you’re gonna buy a classic 2000s-era M4gery-style URG with a 16” HBAR barrel, the Colt 6721 is a better choice. (Even though they’re out of production now.)

Sirex