• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillH

Exalted Grand Poo-bah
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    Called the MD State Police to find out when the board last met and when the last batch of approved handguns will be added to the list. After getting passed around to several people finally got the Handgun Board person, Ms. Marlene Jenkins at 410-653-4247. She was very polite and helpful.

She says that the board last met on Mar 13th and, following the one month delay for state review, the guns approved by that board should be on the approved list on/or just after 6 May.

She confirmed that the Sig P938 I'm looking to buy is on that pending list and should be approved on May 6th.

She said that the next board meeting is May 7th.

After each of these board meetings there is a one month review period before any newly approved handguns are placed on the MDSP Approved Handgun List found here: http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

For info on the board members look here:
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/23dsp/html/dsp.html It's about 1/5 of the way down the page.

More board info can be found here:
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/23dsp/html/dsp.html

Hope this helps some of you, especially anyone looking at the Sig P938. I didn't ask about any other guns to be approved, though.

- Bill (BFM)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    James Laughland is a member of one of the AGC clubs and is a good guy. For those who do not know who he is; Jimmy is the guy that was in the shoot off for the Wimdledon Cup with Carlos Hathcock the famed Marine sniper. Jimmy has also been the highpower rifle National Grand Senior Champion several times. He shoots on the Westinghouse team at the AGC.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Hopefully the FNX-45 tactical was on that list. Its the last handgun (for now) I've been looking at before October.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I submitted a petition for a handgun, it was very easy. See attached information and forms. They like to have the handgun's specification sheet and the manual.

Attachments

• Petition request.doc
      28.5 KB · Views: 200
    • Petition.pdf
      39.3 KB · Views: 233
    • COMAR29.03.03[1].doc
      62.5 KB · Views: 203

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Called the MD State Police to find out when the board last met and when the last batch of approved handguns will be added to the list. After getting passed around to several people finally got the Handgun Board person, Ms. Marlene Jenkins at 410-653-4247. She was very polite and helpful.

She says that the board last met on Mar 13th and, following the one month delay for state review, the guns approved by that board should be on the approved list on/or just after 6 May.

She confirmed that the Sig P938 I'm looking to buy is on that pending list and should be approved on May 6th.

She said that the next board meeting is May 7th.

After each of these board meetings there is a one month review period before any newly approved handguns are placed on the MDSP Approved Handgun List found here: http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

For info on the board members look here:
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/23dsp/html/dsp.html It's about 1/5 of the way down the page.

More board info can be found here:
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/23dsp/html/dsp.html

Hope this helps some of you, especially anyone looking at the Sig P938. I didn't ask about any other guns to be approved, though.

- Bill (BFM)

Another P938'er here.. Placing my order tonight.

Going to just have my FFL hold it until the 6th and fill out the paperwork then.

If it is anything like the 238 I have, I will LOVE this gun. Sold my Glock 26 in anticipation for this.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I got a letter from her dated 22 April saying the Ruger SR 1911 (CMD) Model #6702 petition was given a docket number and will be discussed at the next meeting, scheduled for May.

myproverb

Aug 8, 2013
    I've tried to purchase a Grand Power k100; and i was told by a distributor from another state that it's not on MD's approved list. My order got cancelled. :(

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've tried to purchase a Grand Power k100; and i was told by a distributor from another state that it's not on MD's approved list. My order got cancelled. :(

Be glad the distributor bothered to check. Give them your business again as a big thank you.

Plenty of out-of-state shops and distributors don't bother checking, take your money, ship it to your MD FFL, and refuse to take it back if it's not on the roster. Then you're royally screwed.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I would like to get the 6" Rhino revolver but it's not on the list yet. The 2" version is so I can't imagine that the 6" version would be denied. Think it would be worth ordering and have my dealer hold onto it until it is approved and added to the list? Could I fill out the paperwork prior to it being added and then take possession when it is? I wanted to get it without the handgun permit because I DO NOT want to be fingerprinted (as a matter of principle, they already have my prints from my job in the financial industry). too much wishful thinking to think I can get it approved and grandfather my way into possession without the oct1 permit?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would like to get the 6" Rhino revolver but it's not on the list yet. The 2" version is so I can't imagine that the 6" version would be denied. Think it would be worth ordering and have my dealer hold onto it until it is approved and added to the list? Could I fill out the paperwork prior to it being added and then take possession when it is? I wanted to get it without the handgun permit because I DO NOT want to be fingerprinted (as a matter of principle, they already have my prints from my job in the financial industry). too much wishful thinking to think I can get it approved and grandfather my way into possession without the oct1 permit?

I'd put money on it being too late.

The exemption for taking possession only applies to evil black rifles. You would have to get the handgun approved AND delivered prior to Oct1

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It is definitely way too late. Remember that the roster board's recommendations only go into effect 45 days after they meet.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

Is the 6" version a different model number? If so, yeah you are screwed but if its the same model number, then they should be considered the same gun and so already approved. Its just how they list the model numbers.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Rhino

The Chiappa Rhino model 200DS is on the Roster (which has a 2-inch barrel), and the model 40DS (which has a 4-inch barrel) has been approved and should be added to the Roster late this month. The Roster Board lists approvals by model name/number and caliber. Once a model number is approved, all examples of that model are okay, if they are the approved calibers, regardless of barrel length. The problem here is that Chiappa designates each barrel-length variation as a separate model, with a separate model number. That means that each model has to be approved and listed on the Roster.

However, if they are all basically mechanically the same, then somebody could file a petition to add them all, along with documentation that the unapproved models are just minor variations and do not differ substantially from the already-approved models. If the only real difference is the barrel length, then I doubt that the Board would require the submission of a sample firearm -- this would be similar to the process by which additional calibers are approved for gun models that have previously been approved (they call them "caliber additions").

Still, even when everything is simple, the process always takes at least three months, from submission of an application to the new model actually appearing on the Roster. For a new model that is functionally different from already-approved models, it can take a lot longer in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom