• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, no, they approve almost all the applications that are submitted. They were meeting current demand. The people of MD do not have interest in CCW.

You missed the asterisk on submitted.

*that meet G&S qualifications.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In all fairness, Maryland has more than its fair share of weenies.
    A dose of reality, we likely aren't going to match PA and VA for a LONG time.

First, MD's requirements are still a significantly larger burden. That'll depress interest and ability for those to apply. Also, Maryland rates of gun ownership are lower than PA and VA. Lastly, we also DO have a significantly diminished history and tradition of carrying firearms for self-defense (of course because for decades MD government has ensured we can't lawfully carry firearms to defend ourselves).

I suspect a lot of those will change over time, but I think even in the long run (5+ years) we are likely to be at a lower % than VA and PA.

We get to the same % of permits per person as VA, we'll land around 450,000. If I were to take a WAG, if MD's other requirements don't change, I don't think we will see the north side of 150,000. If they do lessen to either eliminate training and references/employer we might get around 300-400k, but I think the culture thing is still going to depress the number of license holders.

Then again, the number of pending applications is VERY impressive. I am hoping to be on that list to within the next couple of months. Ideally before January and MGA screwing with the process worse. I've got not clue what's going to happen with all of that. If MSP is even going to be remotely capable of processing them all. But I suspect it is going to be a crap show for at least 6-12 months, and probably more likely the next couple of years as most of the people with a high level of interest get their applications in and worked, then the "wait and see" people and the "hard to find two FULL days I can get my training in" folks get to it and then all of the "well someday" folks start applying.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I will say this again for anyone who would be willing to listen... the restrictions placed on your permit were the subjective "good and substantial" reason for the permit. That subjective reason has been removed and you now have an unrestricted W&C permit. Send MSP $10 if you wish... it just means you will now have 2 unrestricted permits... and $10 less.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've mentioned before ; my prediction is 100K .

( More specifically , 40K issued or in process 1 year , eventual 100K )

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    If I'm requesting a modification to remove restrictions on my current permit , will I need to provide references and employment info again? Or do they just need a reason?
    Just finished submitting request for my existing permit to have the "While Working" restrictions removed. I paid with my credit card and got an email stating they received payment. When I go back to the MSP permit "dashboard" it now only lists my current permit (the one that has the restrictions)? Is this normal or am I missing something?

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Just finished submitting request for my existing permit to have the "While Working" restrictions removed. I paid with my credit card and got an email stating they received payment. When I go back to the MSP permit "dashboard" it now only lists my current permit (the one that has the restrictions)? Is this normal or am I missing something?
    Woops... The dashboard defaults to the 77R part. When I realized that and clicked on the CCW part the new permit request was there.

MRH

Never sell your sword
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 5, 2020
    Chesapeake Bay
    Do you have a phone with a camera or know anybody that does? That’s all you need to get the job done.
    Thanks @Occam, I think I figured it out, take a decent pic following the guidelines and then use the TravelStateGov photo tool to crop it. Seems simple so I will take a stab at it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Restrictions remaining on the MD permit are such things as references, which is a subjective issue just like G&S. Unless the state has a sudden attack of reason, that will be litigated in the fullness of time. I don't see it as being in keeping with the Bruen decision. (It would be amusing if someone were to name Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and perhaps Dick Heller as references. It would be of interest to be a fly on the wall for those conversations.)

Additionally, 16 hours of training is a deliberate attempt to discourage applications. From what I understand, the training deemed suitable prior to O'Malley's presidential run was significantly less. I don't have that information, but someone here must have it. That would be sufficient to demonstrate MD's longstanding lack of good faith on the issue.

Meanwhile, a lot will depend on what MD and MSP consider to be the definition of "reasonable" in regard to the timely issuance of permits. "Reasonable" in the court system can be a lifetime in the world of vulnerable humans. (RIP, Jeff Hulbert, and thank you for your service to the citizens of Maryland).

Other restrictions revolve around firearms rather than directly relating to the permit. I suspect that those will go away in reasonably short order.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Is anyone else having issues with the portal (last night or this morning)? I have to reset my password as I haven't logged on in a while. I haven't received the PW reset email from last night. Tried again this AM, same issue. The PW reset emails don't seem to be sending.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The authentication verification emails yesterday and today aren’t working for me as well.
    Try to log on with the email and password of the account you created. Coworker couldn't get his email either and just randomly tried logging in and suddenly it sent the email.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I submitted my app using DD214 training exemption on 6/28. Sequence #22HGP0188XX. As of this morning, I had not received the email indicating acceptance. I logged in this morning and checked my dashboard in the portal. Status changed on 7/6 now "UNDER REVIEW AT MDSP"

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I submitted my app using DD214 training exemption on 6/28. Sequence #22HGP0188XX. As of this morning, I had not received the email indicating acceptance. I logged in this morning and checked my dashboard in the portal. Status changed on 7/6 now "UNDER REVIEW AT MDSP"
    I’m 6/28 with DD-214 also 22HGP018523 and mine still shows submitted. I guess they aren’t going up through the numbers in sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom