• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I don't do any actual back country camping (the wife likes our trailer complete with AC and Heat, range, microwave, and bathroom including heated mattresses, lol...and has been getting me spoiled to the same). However, when I am in Deep Creek Lake State Park, Swallow Falls, Blackwater Falls State Park, or other area frequented by bears, I simply carry a can of quality bear repellent. I usually just keep it handy in the camper, but also sometimes carry it in a holster while hiking. FWIW, I've never been bothered by bears any of these places, but have been there when others have been. By far the problem was most often caused by keeping food in a tent. About 5 years or so ago, while I was camping at Deep Creek Lake State Park a tent camper had a cooler taken by a bear one night (the camper left it right outside the tent and it's better than a pic'a'nic basket, Boo, Boo). Then the next DAY it returned while the campers were gone and tore the tent apart because they also left snacks and candy in the tent. Deep Creek has tried to resolve this problem by providing bear-proof storage on each campsite and using aversion such as rubber 00 buck to chase the bears off. In back country camping, you would obviously want to store food in a tree away from your tent, but a can of Bear spray might be your friend.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

Funny thing about camping in the back of beyond, it's more fun with girls, girls want toilets and showers. Go figure. lol

I wouldn't do the AT in MD. The Shenandoah is better. Greenridge? I hunted there and saw nothing but log roads. Maybe I missed something. Loved Assateague as a great day trip. Yeah you have to be ready for bugs any where, but WoW, tent camping in the sun,,, no.:rolleyes: Canoeing is the best reason for camping. I know how to canoe because of a bonding attempt with my father. Great fun if you don't hit too many rocks or hear banjos. :shocked4:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Is there really such a thing as "back country" in Maryland? Even if you get out to Savage River state forest is western MD, you can't be more than a few miles from a road. On the east coast, it would be hard to find real "back country" areas. Nevertheless, backpacking into a remote site to camp would be the way to go. I took the family camping at Patapsco State Park last weekend and I would call that "suburban camping". Everyone is pretty close together and I am glad they have quiet hours after 10:30. Otherwise, you would have to listen to a lot of carrying on all night long. Makes me want to head for the hills.

Check this out for some back country camping. It looks pretty wild down in NC:
    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/backcountry-camping-near-charlotte-north-carolina-58544.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom