• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I recently purchased an FNH TPS 12Ga pump. I like the gun; it is solid. However:

It operated fine after the purchase but after my first outing with the gun I'm having a problem with double feeding. Nearly every time I rack the slide (no matter the manner I do it in: fast, slow, soft, hard) it double feeds two rounds into the loading port and jams the gun. I end up having to push the second round back up into the magazine tube, push up the "elevator"(?), and pull out the second round. For some reason the second round from the tube isn't being caught and kept in the tube.

I apologize in advanced for my layman's terms and poor description. Any idea what the problem could be? I'm stumped. My only thought has been to take it to a smith and get them to check it out. I figure I will have to do that regardless but thought that I would toss it up here first. Thanks in advanced!

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    First things I would look at are the shell stop and the ammo. The shell stop might be broken or chipped or sticking or ill fitted or missing the spring. This gun, a somewhat improved version of a Winchester 1300 thrown together with left over parts, or so I have read, could need some better fitting/tweeking. If the shell stop is OK, look at the rim of the ammo. Compare it with other shells. Some rims are sharp and square while others are more rounded and may be slipping past the shell stop.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I had a similar issue, FN took it back and fixed it for free. I wasnt the original owner or anything. The replaced the shell stop. I dont think there is a faster pump on the market.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Thanks for the advice, all.

Lax, did you just contact FN and go from there? I've heard iffy things about their customer service of late.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    what kinda ammo are you using? (brand too)

It's all been Winchester SuperX, 2 3/4 slugs, 00buck, and field loads. All act the same, but I know it's all only one brand. However, I'm of the opinion that a good gun should run all ammo, so I'd like to get it to that point.

First things I would look at are the shell stop and the ammo. The shell stop might be broken or chipped or sticking or ill fitted or missing the spring. This gun, a somewhat improved version of a Winchester 1300 thrown together with left over parts, or so I have read, could need some better fitting/tweeking. If the shell stop is OK, look at the rim of the ammo. Compare it with other shells. Some rims are sharp and square while others are more rounded and may be slipping past the shell stop.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the shell stop. I think that may be the issue, but I'm not sure exactly what could be the problem. I'm far from a gunsmith though, so I may need to get it looked at so I can get some experienced first hand advice. I like the gun, but I do believe it could greatly benefit from some fitting/tweaking as you suggested.

Is this one of the ones from Atlantic? They looked really neat, sorry to hear your having trouble.

Yes. I'm otherwise happy with the gun.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    called them at a number on their site I think this is the one : 800-635-1321
    talked to a guy for a minute or two and he emailed me a UPS label to ship the shotgun. No issues nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom