Making my first AR purchase at the age of 18.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vexed Raven

Aug 21, 2012
    First and foremost, I'm new to the forums so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place, still getting the hang of it.
    Anyway let me get to the point, I'm turning eighteen in a few weeks but I've been shooting for awhile, pistols, bolt action rifles, things of that nature. I've already got some good rifles but none that are considerably special to shoot.
    That's where the AR15 comes in, I've wanted one for along while and would love to buy one when I turn eighteen. From what I've read I can buy one, but it needs to be an "HBAR" because they're unregulated, but will I run into any problems if I try to buy one even if it is a HBAR, such as store flat out refusing to sell to me? Will they know the laws? And what will the process of me getting one be in terms of paperwork? Thanks!
    -Connor

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    As you clearly know, to buy an AR-15, because it is considered a regulated firearm you need to be 21 years old. However, HBAR's, and somebody please correct me if (when) I'm wrong, are not considered regulated firearms which at 18 you can buy them.

I can't see why you'd have a problem trying to buy one, but here's the place to ask for information.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Some shops may have different opinions as to what constitutes an HBAR, as not all are explicitly marked, but as long as they agree that it's an HBAR, you'll be able to buy it. If you're still concerned by the issue, there are other comparable .223 rifles that aren't regulated at all. The Robinson XCR and Sig 556 are both very similar and take AR mags and are unregulated. Also the Ruger Mini-14 is a great little carbine.

Vexed Raven

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for the help and recommendations. I don't expect to run into any problems, but I don't want to go in half cocked looking like an idiot so I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can before hand. I've been looking at the Del-Ton Sierra 316H any opinions on it?

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    There are better options out there. Colt and Bushmaster make HBARs and IMO should be your first stop. DelTons "Milspec" options are commercial. Generally speaking, if a company slaps on the name milspec - it should be. If they cut corners there...where else will they?

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I was in Hafer's Gun Shop near Williamsport Md. Yesterday and they had HBAR's in stock. On the price tag was wording that you could take it "today" so they are selling HBAR as unregulated long rifle (as it should be).

Hafer's is great. The guy working Sunday was freindly and willing to share knowledge & advice. I recommend them.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    How much are you looking to spend? I would start at 2A Sales in Jessup, Accurate Pawn and Tackle in Elkridge, or Shooter's Discount in Mount Airy.

These guys know the rules and will guide you through the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom