• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Guys,

Just put together my first AR. The only thing troubling me after everything is said and done is the amount of wabble in my Magpul MOE stock.

It's manageable when its fully collapsed, but fully extended it wobbles a LOT.
    Not too bad side to side, but up and down is bad, to the point where its going to shift my point of aim when it moves. Considerably.

The buffer tube and stuff was a kit from Bravo Company (Mil-Spec, not commercial.) http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock hardware kit.htm

I have tried two different MOE stocks (Accidentally ordered two.) They are both the Mil-Spec versions, not the commercial versions. And yes, they both do it.

I was going to go to delmarva in the morning and take it out for its first run, but this is kind of irritating me.

Is this amount of play normal with a collapsible stock? And tips/tricks to correct it?

Thanks.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    The CTR has a friction lock that Reduces even eliminates the wobble. You sure your buffer tube is mil-spec too?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The CTR has a friction lock that Reduces even eliminates the wobble. You sure your buffer tube is mil-spec too?

The bcm site said it was mil spec and also the end is flat and not curved. I haven't taken measurements yes but im pretty sure. Plus, I thought commercial versions were thicker, in which case it would likely be tighter rather than looser in my situation.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    It almost sounds like you got the commercial-spec MOE stocks. When you get a chance, measure the inside diameter of the stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've got a bit of wobble on my mil-spec MOE stock, too. Part of the problem is that buffer tubes often have quite a bit of variance themselves, even when they're supposedly "mil-spec". I know you bought your kit from BCM, but I also notice that BCM doesn't claim to have made it, either.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Looks like the stock is 1.165, as best I can tell. But I can't tell what its supposed to be. I know the tube is supposed to be 1.15, which pretty much it is. (Hard to tell even with calipers.) I'm confident the tube is milspec. And both MOEs I've tried were marked mil-spec on the box, and both had the correct length rubber pad (commercial version comes with longer pad.)

Maybe I'm just dumb and this amount of wiggle is normal? I mean when its fully collapsed its fine. But when its fully extended, and I shoulder the weapon and move it on my shoulder, it seems like, pointing at a wall 7 feet away, the difference in point of aim from the wiggle is about an inch. Thats at 7 feet. I mean if I pull it in extremely tight, it usually will wiggle either up or down and then stop, but if I move it wiggles the other way.

I guess I need to handle someone elses rifle with a MOE stock and see if minie is very excessive. Maybe I'll take a trip up to GC later.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    Just as a reference I have a PSA buffer tube and MOE stock and fully extended and nut on the tube is only hand tight and it doesn't wobble very much, no more than my stock RRA carbine.

John

Looks like the stock is 1.165, as best I can tell. But I can't tell what its supposed to be. I know the tube is supposed to be 1.15, which pretty much it is. (Hard to tell even with calipers.) I'm confident the tube is milspec. And both MOEs I've tried were marked mil-spec on the box, and both had the correct length rubber pad (commercial version comes with longer pad.)

Maybe I'm just dumb and this amount of wiggle is normal? I mean when its fully collapsed its fine. But when its fully extended, and I shoulder the weapon and move it on my shoulder, it seems like, pointing at a wall 7 feet away, the difference in point of aim from the wiggle is about an inch. Thats at 7 feet. I mean if I pull it in extremely tight, it usually will wiggle either up or down and then stop, but if I move it wiggles the other way.

I guess I need to handle someone elses rifle with a MOE stock and see if minie is very excessive. Maybe I'll take a trip up to GC later.

The stock I have here with me measures 1.163,it had no play when I had it mounted.But I don't remember what buffer tube I have,I've had 2 different stocks on it and both were tight.HTH

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Mine wobbles a little. What I did was use some electrical tape around the buffer tube as a shim and it did the trick.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Maybe this will help
    CTR_Stock_Specs_sml.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

:thumbsup: CTR, STR, and similar higher-end Magpul buttstocks have a friction lock to (usually) cure the rattle.

I don't think comm and mil-spec Magpul buttstocks will fit on the wrong tube. I have both in STR. I've tried out of curiosity. Anybody tried comm Magpul buttstocks on a mil-spec tube lately?

Is this amount of play normal with a collapsible stock? And tips/tricks to correct it?

Some rattle is normal. The stock buttstocks that came on my ARs rattle terribly, with tons of play. If your stock one does the same, the MOE should lessen the rattle somewhat but not entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom