Magazine insertion...what's your method?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    At the range punching holes in paper-- I slide it in and then push firmly on the bottom until I can hear/feel the positive mag catch "click". In training- insert and slam

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I was having rare problems yesterday with my g19 and I think it was a combination of using topped off mags and not seating them forcefully enough. I don't normally top mags off at my range and I think I will start, if for no other reason but to work through this problem.

Pressing the mag release while inserting a mag seems like asking for trouble to me.
    I bobbled a reload yesterday as well, I didn't use enough force when slamming in the fresh topped off mag.

I was always taught the slam in method, never seen a failure on a mag catch either. Even if one did wear out, cheap to replace.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bobbled a reload yesterday as well, I didn't use enough force when slamming in the fresh topped off mag.

I was always taught the slam in method, never seen a failure on a mag catch either. Even if one did wear out, cheap to replace.
    Yup. Like @River02 said, At the range punching holes in paper-- I slide it in and then push firmly on the bottom until I can hear/feel the positive mag catch "click". In training- insert and slam.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Some of my newer receivers are a bit tight. When using extended magazines I’m worried that I might damage the mag well. In these cases a little lube on the rim can help. I usually just insert the tip first and then slowly the rest of the magazine until it bottoms out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Some of my newer receivers are a bit tight. When using extended magazines I’m worried that I might damage the mag well. In these cases a little lube on the rim can help. I usually just insert the tip first and then slowly the rest of the magazine until it bottoms out.

Got to admit--- I almost bit... then WTF??? :rofl:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I just knew rimming would come into this, eventually...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    It depends on the gun.

I have a 1911 with mags that I have to push in the “release” for and some that don’t.

Some Rugers like to be slapped in as they go into battery right away.

YMMV
    You have been a naughty little mag haven’t you. Oh sorry.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just knew rimming would come into this, eventually...

Got to admit--- I almost bit... then WTF??? :rofl:

For really stubborn lowers, I sometimes pour a glass of Harvey’s Bristol Cream on ice, dim the lights, and put on some Barry White. And, most importantly, I say “No matter, what you heard in MDS, You’re my favorite gun in the safe”.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    John Carduner, Trikshot, taught me to use the mag release when inserting mags into my 1911s. I also do that on my 2011s.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The one somewhat non obscure combination where it could be a concern is full length 1911 mags into an Officers ACP . Slamming in extra super hard , occasionally would override and go in too far .

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    If never heard of this "press the mag release" technique. I occasionally finesse a mag in, but I don't trust it unless I slam it in. This is the way I was taught in BRM in the Army. I assumed it was the normal technique.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While others will disagree because of the almight round count, if a topped off mag is difficult to seat on a closed slide (tactical reload), I load my mags down one round. A malfunction or repeated motion unnecessarily is more time in a critical situation to doing a fast reload. Reloads are typically done from cover or concealed locations...unless much has hit the fan fast.

If a pistol can't handle a vigorous reload then it needs to be addressed. I use a steady but authorative press to seat a mag during range and practice shooting. During matches or practicing speed loads the mags are inserted zestfully.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    For really stubborn lowers, I sometimes pour a glass of Harvey’s Bristol Cream on ice, dim the lights, and put on some Barry White. And, most importantly, I say “No matter, what you heard in MDS, You’re my favorite gun in the safe”.

Lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom