• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smoke_16

May 20, 2013
    A friend of mine has a problem. In 1995 he purchased a machine gun and registered it for 6 years with no problems and was told by the registration division that he no longer needed to register the weapon.
    They stated, he only needed to registered the gun if it moved to a different location. They had stated if the weapon did not move he did not need to be bothered. So he didn't register it because it's been at the same location since he bought it.

However he did get a registration form from MSP in 2010 filled it out with his $10 because he had moved during that time period but the gun remained at the same address as the initial registration.

Now he is concerned that with the Martin O'mally gun laws and the 10 year prison term that follows from not registering his weapon if he should find a lawyer. He is afraid of the fact that they will penalize him, make him a felon take his weapons away, and then throw him in jail.

He needs advice.

He does have friends in virginia that will take them is that an option for him?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    He is not the first to miss one. Think of it this way. When I mail mine off... how do I know MSP gets it? I don't... However they have to prove I did not send it if they come knocking. If he registered in 2010, I would just send in this years. Us a postal Money order and pay cash. That way there is no real record. MSP is pretty busy right now and is not tracking to see if everyone sends in their registration. After all if they had, he would have already gotten a visit.

So if it was me, I would send it in and if they start asking questions... claim they have been sent in every year using MOs that you paid cash for and have no receipts for. However I would not think it will cause an issue.

Next read the law and follow it so you don't have this problem again!

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    machine gun

whether it be your machine gun registration,drivers license renewal,no matter what the renewal is sent to you for your conveinience.if you do not get it that is not the states fault.they give you a year with your drivers license,after that you are a 16 year old again and have to take everything again.a close freind had to do so.i send mine in really early,make a copy and make another copy of the cancelled check.if it were me i would send in the 2013 registration with a payment method you can keep record of.they have been busy and if you send them money they won't send it back.good luck

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    A friend of mine has a problem. In 1995 he purchased a machine gun and registered it for 6 years with no problems and was told by the registration division that he no longer needed to register the weapon.
    They stated, he only needed to registered the gun if it moved to a different location. They had stated if the weapon did not move he did not need to be bothered. So he didn't register it because it's been at the same location since he bought it.

However he did get a registration form from MSP in 2010 filled it out with his $10 because he had moved during that time period but the gun remained at the same address as the initial registration.

Now he is concerned that with the Martin O'mally gun laws and the 10 year prison term that follows from not registering his weapon if he should find a lawyer. He is afraid of the fact that they will penalize him, make him a felon take his weapons away, and then throw him in jail.

He needs advice.

He does have friends in virginia that will take them is that an option for him?

God god,thats the best first post ever !!

Never ask for legal advice on the Internet. Ever!

Don't know anything about the law in this case, but I know that this is a public forum and you need counsel, real counsel, where privilege applies---not the Internet.

Good luck

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just go ask the source.... MSP

Probably not a good idea to call the police and admit to a possible felony...

Any way you cut it, you want to send in this years. All it can do by not doing so is make things worse. Frankly I don't think MSP is doing anything with this. They are just cashing checks. I have heard of very few if any real cases of them going after someone who did not register. Sometimes I wonder if this requirement would even hold up in court.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I am not familiar with MG laws in MD. Are you required to pay an annual fee for it? What about other Class 3 items?

$10 fee when you receive it from your FFL, then $10 annually in May. The $10 annual fee covers all the MGs you own, not $10 per MG.

There's no annual registration of SBRs or suppressors.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    $10 fee when you receive it from your FFL, then $10 annually in May. The $10 annual fee covers all the MGs you own, not $10 per MG.

Thanks! I have a suppressor and got scared there for a minute I have never paid anything annually for it.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010

And must be registered within 24hrs of taking possession. I'm not sure how they prove that one though.

I turned in my NFA paperwork to MSP and just got it back last week. It took only 6 weeks from the time I handed them my Form 4's to getting in the mailbox. I was surprised.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    And must be registered within 24hrs of taking possession. I'm not sure how they prove that one though.

I turned in my NFA paperwork to MSP and just got it back last week. It took only 6 weeks from the time I handed them my Form 4's to getting in the mailbox. I was surprised.

Wasn't that long ago it was two weeks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom