• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    So, I bought a Mosin M44 from Classic. Everything seemed fine until I tried cycling some ammo. I can't fully lock the bolt with a round chambered. It won't close all the way. I tried two different types of rounds, both of which cycle fine in my 91/30, and same problem. Should I raise hell and send it back or is there something simple I'm missing? I paid $246 including shipping and a $50 transfer fee. :sad20:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would double check the chamber. Could be some cosmoline still stuck in there or rust which is keeping the round from going in far enough.

Is the bolt # matching the rifle?
    Did you take the bolt down and clean it well?

Had issues with a Mauser years ago when I didn't clean the cosmoline well enough out of the bolt. Not the same problem but failure to fire.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Serial numbers match and I completely took down the bolt, cleaned it (it was already clean) and measured the firing pin.

Does that look normal?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Looks right to me (I pulled mine out to take a look at to compare to your photos). I'd triple check for a broken shell down in there.... doesn't look like one to me, but maybe it is broken off at the neck. As others have suggested.... make 100% sure there isn't any crude in there. It doesn't take much.... same with the extractor suggestion.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Did you take strong notice to any scrapes or dents on the cartridges you tried to insert into the chamber??? My suggestion would be to take an unfired case (not loaded cartridge) and insert it into the chamber by hand and see if it will go all the way in on it's own with muzzle pointed straight down. If it stops short, try to utilize slight to moderate pressure on the head of the case to push it in further. With a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle end, push the case back out of the chamber while not letting the case rotate clockwise or counterclockwise till you can grab it with your fingers, all the while paying attention at what o'clock your finger positions are on the rim of the case. If there is a scratchmark and/or dent in the case, you'll know if there's something in the chamber, about how far in, and at what o'clock position it is.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If Lou is right chucking a section of cleaning rod and bore brush in a drill and slathering the combo in Hoppes No. 9 should clean out any chamber burrs.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Others did videos on cleaning it out, I combined the cleaning the chamber and tight extractor solutions into one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRzrYqgSsE

3 out of 4 mosins of mine had to have the extractor adjusted.
    The extractor affects closing more than after being fired.
    Of course, do you have or can you borrow a head space gauge?
    My hex had a heck of a time closing till it was cleaned and extractor adjusted.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Thanks you guys. Yeah, I tried a few fine looking rounds and two different types. They all worked fine in my 91/30. I'm almost certain it's the extractor like Malblast and Melnic mentioned. I forced it closed and, with the round still attached to the extractor, it chambers with no problem, back and forth.

Melnic's video shows the problem EXACTLY. No spent cartridge here though. :lol2: Not sure about the new neighbors next door, but this is generally a 1-shot neighborhood. One shot is like, "hmm". After a couple, you might get a call.

Thanks for the video Melnic. :worship: I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom