• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Can anyone advise how I can convince an out of state seller that a GI M1 Carbine (clearly a C&R) is not a "Regulated Firearm" in Maryland? The problem I am running into is the "Auto-Ordnance M1" that is on the Regulated Firearm list, which I have always understood to refer to an Auto Ordnance Semi Auto M1 Thompson. Unfortunately Auto Ordnance no longer sells M1 Thompsons (concentrating on M1927/28 clones), but does sell the Kahr M1 and M1A1 Carbines. I have never run across a local seller that believes that M1 Carbines are regulated, but I can see how an out of state seller might have qualms.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That's gonna be a tough sell since its written that way, but maybe you can convince him it's the Thompson if he looks at the list and sees tht other m1 carbines are ok?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The List reflects the gun market of about 1988, not the current market. That's why it has things like the "Linda" and the "Calico". The "Bushmaster" on the list is actually a bullpup design that was never marketed in large numbers in the U.S.

(Edited to add:
    Pictures and information about the "Bushmaster" on the list can be found here:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2563899&postcount=18 )

The List actually says,

Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics

That is obviously refering to the Thompson. You can tell because it says, Thompson.

The M1 nomenclature was widely used by the army to refer to all sorts of things, not only carbines, but rifles, trucks, submachine guns, cartridges,... any item of government issue equipment started with an "M1", as "cartridge, .30 caliber, ball, M1". EVERYTHING standardized by the Army started with an "M1".

If your seller is too dense to realize that, then he may be beyond hope.

Ask him if the gun is marked anywhere "Auto Ordinance" or "Thompson". Tell him if it is, you don't want it.

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Threeband says... "Ask him if the gun is marked anywhere "Auto Ordinance" or "Thompson". Tell him if it is, you don't want it."

Well technically my GI m1 carbine is. My IBM has an AO mark on the receiver as it was subcontracted out by IBM to Auto Ordinance (as were several parts on many IBM M1 Carbines). Not to be a smart@ss.... just saying.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But it doesn't say "Thompson", because it's not a Thompson, and the List is talking about the Thompson, not any and all things ever manufactured by the Auto Ordnance Company.

The List is about specific models, not brands.

The Auto Ordnance models covered by the List are the two variations of the Thompson, namely the M1 Thompson and the 1928 Thompson. If they had intended the Carbine, they would have said Carbine.

The List specifies certain models made by Colt, Heckler & Koch, and other companies, but it does not ban everything made under those brand names.

In any case, your carbine is an IBM, not an "AO".
    As for that cryptic "AO" ( Any Other? Alabama & Ohio?)...

Both of mine say "Inland."

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Success! Convinced the guy with the MSP website that the M1 Carbine was not regulated. Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom