• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    As cool as it is, having a cool gun too valuable to shoot makes as much sense to me as a cool car that isn’t driven.

My Tisas 1911A1 US Army was about 4 hundy.

It scratches my itch…. :gun3:
    I guess it’s down to a mini 14 then :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My 89 year old Father was in Korea. He confirmed the freezing up issue, they had the same problems with Garands. Lighter weight oil instead of grease helped. He indicated the failure to penetrate was largely urban legend and a convenient excuse for missing. He did say it was obviously "less harder hitting" than the guy next to you shooting a M2 .30-06 ball but then again it didn't weigh 10 lbs either.
    When I was in High School and college, a neighbor of mine was a retired Army LTC. He served in WWII and Korea. He had been to an A Bomb test in the desert. They guy had been around the block once or twice. He LOVED the M1 Carbine and how light and handy it is. He liked it even better than the M16. Go figure.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I love my M1 carbine, light, reliable with good mags, easily hits steel out to 200 yards. I shoot it in 3 gun matches fairly often. Would probably be the last C&R gun I’d ever sell.

Be patient and keep your eyes out for a GI carbine. You can still get them for $1200-1500 in good shape. If you’re going to spend that kind of money idk why you would go repro over GI

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^this. I think you can get a nice GI one for <$1500. Not sure why one would pay way more for a repro.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Dusted mine off and took my daughter shooting. Its comfortable to and fun to shoot. Nice to give it some range time.

Attachments

• Resized_20220529_160323.jpeg
      Resized_20220529_160323.jpeg
      348.2 KB · Views: 80

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I love my M1 Carbine. I really haven't shot it all that much, but it is fun to shoot. It's also kind of special to me as it was the last firearm I acquired from oldcarjunkie before he passed.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I don’t consider my Fulton Armory a repo. It’s a WWII USGI Winchester receiver, bolt, op rod and trigger assembly. Yes it has a new barrel and stock and misc small parts but so do the CMP Rack Special and Expert Grade Garands and I don’t consider them repos. It’s not a Collectors Grade nor is it an all original, numbers matching gun but IMHO I don’t consider it a repo.

But speaking of repos, I forgot I actually have three M1 Carbines.

In addition to the Inland and the Fulton Winchester, I have an Auto Ordnance repo. It’s fun and I don’t have to worry about banging up a more valuable piece of history. I got it NIB for a fraction of the cost of a USGI M1.

I guess I got lucky because I haven’t had any issues with it providing I use surplus USGI magazines. I shoot all three but I don’t worry about the AO getting banged up. That’s the one I hand to friends when we go shooting and I shoot the other two.

I am always on the lookout for a Rock-Ola to add to the collection. Not sure why, but I really want one.

Top down: CMP Inland Bavarian Rural Police, Fulton Armory Winchester, Auto Ordnance Repo
    8B1A2FC0-177C-4BB9-B33B-3A6EE41755F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    and our soldiers loved them.

Well , go to contemporary sources , and opinions were mixed , and often dependent upon context .

Not about the quality or reliability , but its design parameters , and roles . i.e. lots of GI liked the idea of weapon & ammo load weighing half- ish of a Garand .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My 89 year old Father was in Korea. He confirmed the freezing up issue, they had the same problems with Garands. Lighter weight oil instead of grease helped. He indicated the failure to penetrate was largely urban legend and a convenient excuse for missing. He did say it was obviously "less harder hitting" than the guy next to you shooting a M2 .30-06 ball but then again it didn't weigh 10 lbs either.

On that theme , Jim Higgenbothem has related a conversation with a friend and neighbor who was a Korea Vetran . The conversation came around to the combat effectiveness of the M1 Carbine . The reply stuck in my mind .

The direct quote was " The Carbine would penetrate Chinese Helmets at 300 yards " . At one level , that's a tribute to Old School Marksmanship skills . Between the lines , if he needed the enemy soldier to reliably drop , he had to take head shots .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Audie Murphy loved his “Lucky Carbine” and wired it back together when the stock was broken by a mortar round. Murphy was also deadly accurate with it which speaks to his skills and abilities.

No doubt about the marksmanship or courage of Murphy .

But an additional factor was Murphy was a little guy . 5'5" tall , and 112 lb at enlistment . A Garand is proportionally huge for someone that size . Undoubtedly he could get on target faster with the Carbine .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    He liked it even better than the M16. Go figure.

That one is obvious ! ( You & I might or might not agree , but his thought process was obvious .)

The stock fit , balance , and handling qualities of the M1 Carbine was substantially similar to Real Rifles . The M16 was weird , and felt strange .

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    I recently completed CMP but finding a price on their website isn’t possible. I assume because they’re in stock like they used to be. All I saw were 4 guns for auction and I’m not paying that price.

I think I’m a decade or to late on trying to buy one.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    CMP hasn't had (bulk) carbines for sale in ages. The very few they get go through auction and command high prices. Its best to search GunBroker, shows, classifieds, etc.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I still have the Quality Hardware Carbine (with Rock-Ola barrel) my dad bought through the NRA back in the ‘60s. The invoice with it says he paid the princely sum of $17.50 + $2.50 shipping…mailed directly to the house.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I still have the Quality Hardware Carbine (with Rock-Ola barrel) my dad bought through the NRA back in the ‘60s. The invoice with it says he paid the princely sum of $17.50 + $2.50 shipping…mailed directly to the house.
    I'd definitely be in on one for $20. Not $2000 though. What's $20 from 1960 worth today?

Edit: after a quick google search it's about $200 today still a good deal on any gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom