• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    I came across this rifle that the owner couldn't lock the bolt back with the charging handle and otherwise ran poorly.

With the cheek riser up even a bit, the charging handle would be stopped from traveling rearward enough to lock.

Further inspection revealed the bolt was hitting the receiver due to a carbine length buffer. A rifle length buffer fixed that & runs better. (gee, ya think?) So, someone slapped on an expensive stock & called it a day, never checking their results.

I know a lot on these are proprietary & I've only fooled with ar-15 mil-spec sized stuff. Do they take milspec tubes and buffers so I can simply rebuild the back end with a stock I want? Trying to chase a correct answer all over the web is giving me a big headache.

Attachments

• 20231231_152240.jpg
      20231231_152240.jpg
      317.7 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    EDIT: I misunderstood that the core problem was directly from the PRS cheek riser. This was a common problem on the older PRS stocks as they were made specifically for AR15s- the current Gen-3 PRS's riser clears the charging handle on both AR10s and AR15s.

M&P-10 is a stock DPMS pattern- the user's likely problem was he was using an AR-15 carbine buffer. AR-10s/LR-308s, because of their longer bolt carriers while using the same buffer tubes as AR15s, need shorter buffers- aka "AR10/.308" buffers.
    Your picture shows a standard AR10 rifle buffer.
    Carbine_Buffer_Systems_Whats_the_Difference_AR15_v_AR10__35703.1572453659.jpg
    OIP.r0IuW8Era1oiYLo-4EIUeQHaHa

Last edited:

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    I want to eliminate the existing stock as the cheek riser can't be used. I may have to swap out the extension tube, so I'm wondering if milspec tubes can be used.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    The rifle length like in the picture? Numrich has factory stocks and both stock and buffers look like short carbine ones.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you want a carbine stock, use a carbine buffer tube, castle nut, endplate and a .308 carbine buffer.
    If you want a rifle stock, use a rifle buffer tube and a .308 rifle buffer.
    The stocks and buffer tubes are the same for AR10s and AR15s, the buffers are not.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    You've explained it so simply. Thats something i couldn't find elsewhere. That's info I needed. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom