• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rfjtoys

Mar 9, 2011
    Are they worth the expense of an extra die and the additional step to use one?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    If you are not wanting to use an expander ball but need to round the necks sure. Helpful if you like bushing dies.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Are they worth the expense of an extra die and the additional step to use one?
    Without knowing what you're doing and what press you're doing it on, it is hard to answer this question. If you were running a Mark7 Evo/Apex, the answer would probably be a flat "yes". If you're running a single stage and loading pistol, the answer would be "no, use a power drop with a flaring funnel". Depending on how you're loading rifle, they may be essential (coated 300 subs, bullet feeder use) or not useful at all (FMJ boattails in chamfered brass).

Also, let me put out there that I am not a huge fan of the M-die, and prefer the NOE expander in a Lee universal flare die instead. M-die inserts have an unfortunate issue with working loose under a heavy loading schedule. The NOE/Lee solution is much less likely to have this problem, and is easier to tighten to boot.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yes. I use them on a progressive for pistol with jacketed and cast bullets. The step flare works much better for starting/locating a bullet than a conventional flare. I don’t even bother crimping to remove it. A regular flare gets wider if a case happens to be longer. The initial step flare on the M die does not.

Some blue loctite takes care of the expander coming loose.

There’s also no chance in hell I’d load auto pistol rounds on a single stage press.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom