• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My friend got his first AR and we built it a couple hours ago over lunch. Went well! Roll pins went in easy because I got those punches with the hollow end to start the roll pins. And I remembered electrical tape to protect the lower this time.

Issue we ran into was the safety detent pin would not fit. It was a show stopper. The rim was just too large to fit in the hole in the lower. Fortunately I had an "oops" kit with a pin that fit perfect. Interestingly, it was an Anderson "oops" kit.

So the question is, is this lower not Milspec or is the BCA lower parts kit not Milspec? I assume a Milspec lower using a Milspec parts kit the detent would fit. Or the other option is the detent was simply defective. Anyone seen this before?

Parts:
    Bear Creek Arsenal Wylde HBAR 20" upper
    Anderson lower
    BCA lower parts kit
    Hera CQR Gen 2 stock, grip and foregrip
    Magpul Magazine
    Vortex Red Dot
    Monstrum Flip-up Iron Sights

original_41b479d0-0acd-49cd-978a-3fd5b3e2b860_20230519_121410.jpg

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    My experience has been that this type of error is likely the builder's fault. Is it possible that you used the wrong spring somewhere else?

The one time this happened to me, I disassembled the rest of the springs and found my mistake.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    BCA and Anderson with out of spec parts? say it isn't so LOL

probably the detent in this case, but could have been a burr or thick coating on the lower, and the detent that fit was out of spec small, who knows, if it drops in, should be OK. Would probably at least check the upper too, BCA is good for "torquing" the nut hand tight, and leaving burrs on the extension, those two things, and burrs/chips in the gas port cause most of their issues if it doesn't run.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My experience has been that this type of error is likely the builder's fault. Is it possible that you used the wrong spring somewhere else?

The one time this happened to me, I disassembled the rest of the springs and found my mistake.
    It wasn't a spring issue. From what I read the safety detent pin wouldn't fir in the hole?

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    It wasn't a spring issue. From what I read the safety detent pin wouldn't fir in the hole?

Correct the spring was fine. The safety detent would go in but the end would not. Think of a .22 bullet in a chamber that is what it looked like with just the end being too big.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Correct the spring was fine. The safety detent would go in but the end would not. Think of a .22 bullet in a chamber that is what it looked like with just the end being too big.

Misread sorry - one of the two was out of spec - glad you had an extra on hand.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You can see on the detent where the thin part is wider than the body of the pin. The body fit perfect that end part just stopped without going in.

948226.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Probably didn't get ground down enough at the factory. You probably could have put it in a drill chuck and taken a file to it to make it the proper dimension, but you had a spare so all is good.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Probably didn't get ground down enough at the factory. You probably could have put it in a drill chuck and taken a file to it to make it the proper dimension, but you had a spare so all is good.

I was going to try to file it before I remembered I had a couple "oops" packs. I still have it and may. I will try it in some of my RRA lowers and see if it fits. Drill idea is top shelf! :beer:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What's up with that stock? Is that some sort of MD compliance thing?

No - I got the Hera CQR Gen 1 for my 300BO build and loved it. So I bought this set for my recent 6.5 Grendel build. But I decided on the Magpul precision stock (and foregrip) instead and since I never send anything back, I still had it. So I gave the set to him. I am really liking this on this build!

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    My friend got his first AR and we built it a couple hours ago over lunch. Went well! Roll pins went in easy because I got those punches with the hollow end to start the roll pins. And I remembered electrical tape to protect the lower this time.

Issue we ran into was the safety detent pin would not fit. It was a show stopper. The rim was just too large to fit in the hole in the lower. Fortunately I had an "oops" kit with a pin that fit perfect. Interestingly, it was an Anderson "oops" kit.

So the question is, is this lower not Milspec or is the BCA lower parts kit not Milspec? I assume a Milspec lower using a Milspec parts kit the detent would fit. Or the other option is the detent was simply defective. Anyone seen this before?

Parts:
    Bear Creek Arsenal Wylde HBAR 20" upper
    Anderson lower
    BCA lower parts kit
    Hera CQR Gen 2 stock, grip and foregrip
    Magpul Magazine
    Vortex Red Dot
    Monstrum Flip-up Iron Sights

View attachment 414165
    Now that's a "long gun"---

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts