• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's a common problem and it's usually the lower, not the detent. Anodizing lays heavy at the entrance of that area on the lower which can cause issues with some detents fitting properly.

I have a reamer for this specific area because the issue is so common.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's a two stage hole and the narrower, lower hole gets munged up. You can usually clear it out running a small drill bit through there by hand. Go easy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    BCA and Anderson with out of spec parts? say it isn't so LOL

probably the detent in this case, but could have been a burr or thick coating on the lower, and the detent that fit was out of spec small, who knows, if it drops in, should be OK. Would probably at least check the upper too, BCA is good for "torquing" the nut hand tight, and leaving burrs on the extension, those two things, and burrs/chips in the gas port cause most of their issues if it doesn't run.
    This post has credence, as alucard's post typically do. Bought a MidwayUSA house brand upper that basically started disassembling itself on the first shooting. I do know what a gas system low pressure issue is like...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This post has credence, as alucard's post typically do. Bought a MidwayUSA house brand upper that basically started disassembling itself on the first shooting. I do know what a gas system low pressure issue is like...
    LOL. Have seen more than a couple where I fit a barrel nut wrench in preparation to remove it, and the nut just spun off by hand, only reason it didn't fall off when shooting was the handguard had some alignment tab that fit to the upper. Of course if that person was unlucky enough to try to swap muzzle devices, and it was even remotely tight, 100% of that torque would be on the locator pin, and probably break the upper with some vise blocks. As Clandestine said, a reamer set is really handy, if nothing else a .125, .156, .250, and .375 reamers are practically a requirement if you put together cheap or ceracoated ARs.

Last edited:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My bud did bring this to the range. He did a quick bore sighting using that Vortex reddot and a cheap bullet laser and his shots at the range were really good. Gun ran flawlessly. I think he did like 100 rounds of 556.

The below is from I think he said 25 yards. Just the grouping in the center of the target. This is also his first time ever shooting an AR.

I told him next time run the target all the way down.

PXL_20230519_223341509.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom