Looks like lpks are coming down in price...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    ...a little. Lots of RRA on gunbroker at like $120. They were all over $150 a few weeks ago.

Secondary question...why are spikes (standard not enhanced), and Stag LPKs going for so much more than RRA and CMMG?

Thought they were all pretty much the same.

What's the standard?

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I think some people like to keep the same brand in their lowers. Lots of Spike lowers.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I have 3 stripped lowers coming from engage and bought psa lkp (less fcg) so i get grandfathered with two evil features (scary telescoping stock and perilous pistol grip). Then i plan on buying all the rest over time as prices come down. I need to learn more about triggers...

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Because you can backorder from RRA or CMMG and get your LPK in a week or two. If you want an LPK RRA is 83 dollars shipped (70 for the LPK and a stupid high, and unannounced, shipping cost of 13 bucks).

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    BTW. Hat-tip to you, PHX223. You were way ahead of the curve on the topic of CYA vis-a-vi grandfathering.

Do you think I'm good w/o FCG? Two feature test, as of the date of this post and the trigger itself isn't evil or too scary.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Looks like lpks are coming down in price...

Yeah... now that nearly every household in the state has an AR. Except of course Montgomery County and the homes of a dozen or so Marxist State Delegates.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Yeah... now that nearly every household in the state has an AR. Except of course Montgomery County and the homes of a dozen or so Marxist State Delegates.

And hopefully the national panic will slow down. National AWB/Mag limits are DOA. Even Diane Frankenfeinstein knows that.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Didn't know you could backorder from RRA.

Are all the kits pretty much the same? I dont care about pistol grip or trigger as ill be using a bravo company grip and spikes enhanced trigger. Just want to make sure I get a kit with in spec parts/pins/springs. Ive only done one other build and it was a stag kit but I cant find those.

Which are the standard? Any to stay away from?

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    BTW. Hat-tip to you, PHX223. You were way ahead of the curve on the topic of CYA vis-a-vi grandfathering.

Do you think I'm good w/o FCG? Two feature test, as of the date of this post and the trigger itself isn't evil or too scary.

From how I see it you should be gtg with the tele-stock and A2 grip , since MD considers the lower to be the evil part. But others on here think that just having the lower is enough, and I can't say that they are wrong, however I prefer to error on the side of not going to federalrapeyouinthebuttprision.

Didn't know you could backorder from RRA.

Are all the kits pretty much the same? I dont care about pistol grip or trigger as ill be using a bravo company grip and spikes enhanced trigger. Just want to make sure I get a kit with in spec parts/pins/springs. Ive only done one other build and it was a stag kit but I cant find those.

Which are the standard? Any to stay away from?

For the most part kits are thought of as the same. Guys that have built a lot more lowers then I have say a lpk is an lpk is an lpk. I have to assume that they are using lpk's from known vendors as some lpk's have trickeled in from China and Tiawan. These guys also have the ability to install a slightly out of spec lpk, have extra parts incase there is an issue and have the proper tools to install the parts.

When doing my research for my first build I found that the ranking generally went:
    Colt
    LMT/Grant Pieced together
    DD
    Stag/CMMG/DPMS/Spikes/PSA/RRA
    Delton/DoubleStar
    Stainless Crap/noname

And how did I come to that ranking, Colt/LMT/DD have big names to protect.
    Stag/CMMG/DPMS/Spikes/PSA/RRA make a lot of LPK's, they are bound to have it down

Everyone else, eh. Although I do hear that Armalites bolt catch is the bee's knees.

Again, I'm no smith. Just a bored engineer that over thinks things and lives in the margins.

If it is one of your first builds I'd go with RRA, their pins are known for going in easy and I think they have an option that comes w/o FCG.

Getting a PSA kit would be a decent option too (I have one of those waiting for me out west, 2 more weeks until I can help my pop's build a lower, I'm still debating installing a Giessele 3.5 lbs trigger on his .22 build, but I'm not sure I'd get it back if I did).

As to a standard, that would be Colt. You can piece together an LPK from them, san FCG and Safety for 90 dollars, but thats alot to pay for some springs and pins. I do think that any of the midrange kits will do you just fine.

Stay away from any stainless steel kit and anything that is not in original packaging. The difference in cost is just not worth it. Wait the 2 weeks for an RRA kit to come in (I'd sell you mine san FCG, but I won't even be near it for two weeks so you are better off going through RRA).

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    ....however I prefer to error on the side of not going to federalrapeyouinthebuttprision.

I hear they are more like minimum security resorts. Did you know they have conjugal visits? We should be so lucky. [name that movie]

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The RRA, DPMS, and Fulton kits contain some MIM parts if that matters to you.

I prefer the LWRC and Spikes LPKs over the Colt parts. Specifically the machining on the LWRC is superb.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011

I prefer the LWRC and Spikes LPKs over the Colt parts. Specifically the machining on the LWRC is superb.

LWRC 'enhanced' triggers can be had around $115. Is that good value IYO?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Spikes doesnt have MIM parts?

From how I see it you should be gtg with the tele-stock and A2 grip , since MD considers the lower to be the evil part. But others on here think that just having the lower is enough, and I can't say that they are wrong, however I prefer to error on the side of not going to federalrapeyouinthebuttprision.

For the most part kits are thought of as the same. Guys that have built a lot more lowers then I have say a lpk is an lpk is an lpk. I have to assume that they are using lpk's from known vendors as some lpk's have trickeled in from China and Tiawan. These guys also have the ability to install a slightly out of spec lpk, have extra parts incase there is an issue and have the proper tools to install the parts.

When doing my research for my first build I found that the ranking generally went:
    Colt
    LMT/Grant Pieced together
    DD
    Stag/CMMG/DPMS/Spikes/PSA/RRA
    Delton/DoubleStar
    Stainless Crap/noname

And how did I come to that ranking, Colt/LMT/DD have big names to protect.
    Stag/CMMG/DPMS/Spikes/PSA/RRA make a lot of LPK's, they are bound to have it down

Everyone else, eh. Although I do hear that Armalites bolt catch is the bee's knees.

Again, I'm no smith. Just a bored engineer that over thinks things and lives in the margins.

If it is one of your first builds I'd go with RRA, their pins are known for going in easy and I think they have an option that comes w/o FCG.

Getting a PSA kit would be a decent option too (I have one of those waiting for me out west, 2 more weeks until I can help my pop's build a lower, I'm still debating installing a Giessele 3.5 lbs trigger on his .22 build, but I'm not sure I'd get it back if I did).

As to a standard, that would be Colt. You can piece together an LPK from them, san FCG and Safety for 90 dollars, but thats alot to pay for some springs and pins. I do think that any of the midrange kits will do you just fine.

Stay away from any stainless steel kit and anything that is not in original packaging. The difference in cost is just not worth it. Wait the 2 weeks for an RRA kit to come in (I'd sell you mine san FCG, but I won't even be near it for two weeks so you are better off going through RRA).

Thanks for all the info. This will be my highest quality build...so I will pick my LPK accordingly. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom