• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So looking to add a fixed blade to a Bug-out/Bug-in bag, I was thinking a Kukri but do not know enough about what is a good steel that holds edges well and is low maintenance, IE rust while in the sheath in between inspections.

Headedthere

Jan 3, 2023
    Howard
    I have 2 go-to knives in my camp gear. A 15 y/o gerber, similar to the current "ultimate". And a k-bar. I love the gerber, feel, sharpness, and low maintenance. The k-bar is used for the nasty stuff (opening cans, etc.)

Headedthere

Jan 3, 2023
    Howard
    I like the looks of that Bushcrafter, I need a quality knife in that size.
    Anyone have a link to the description and trade-offs of various blade metals?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I like the looks of that Bushcrafter, I need a quality knife in that size.
    Anyone have a link to the description and trade-offs of various blade metals?
    Honestly there are so many kinds of steel on the market that it's almost easier to find a few knives you like and then start learning from there.

Headedthere

Jan 3, 2023
    Howard
    Yea, lots of letters and numbers. lol. But good point, probably best if I don't get too far in the weeds, then I'd end up never buying "the perfect" knife.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Currently I have a Buck 119 in my bag, but I just purchased a Gerber StrongArm to replace it.

The Buck 119 is a beautiful knife but the grips are very smooth. I plan on using that as a hunting knife from now on.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    In my quest for purchasing the Gerber StrongArm, I came across the Odenwolf W1 knife. I purchased 2 of these for my vehicles. @ $30 a piece and great reviews, I figure I would give it a shot and if it gets lost it wouldn't be a big deal. Gonna take it out later and give it a run thru.

Amazon product ASIN B0B6JP6F22

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Ive got an Esee CM6 for a full size and a RAT-3 for a pint sized. I like them both for general purpose work, both quite tough, good edge retention for what they are. Im sure there are plenty of better super steels out there but I don't feel the need as of yet.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    In my quest for purchasing the Gerber StrongArm, I came across the Odenwolf W1 knife. I purchased 2 of these for my vehicles. @ $30 a piece and great reviews, I figure I would give it a shot and if it gets lost it wouldn't be a big deal. Gonna take it out later and give it a run thru.

Amazon product ASIN B0B6JP6F22
    The Odenwolf knife is pretty slick. It is fairly thin, but well made, very sharp, and has a good grip. The sheath is its draw back. You will not be deploying it quickly as a tactical knife. It will hang from your belt, but you need two hands. One to hold the sheath in place, and the other to draw the knife out.

I ended up putting a Cold Steel SK-5 in my work truck get home bag. Cost is $40. It is thick, sharp, heavy, 6" blade, and has a great handle. Its draw back is that the steel is coated and doesn't throw good sparks with a ferro rod until I rubbed away enough coating. I have a 1000 ways to start fire with tools in my truck so I'm not worried about that.

Amazon product ASIN B0851Q2PVX

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So looking to add a fixed blade to a Bug-out/Bug-in bag, I was thinking a Kukri but do not know enough about what is a good steel that holds edges well and is low maintenance, IE rust while in the sheath in between inspections.
    Eezox

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My Ka-Bar has been with me traveling the world, it has been beat to death, and it has never let me down... Purchased in 1993 and has been amazing.

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    Depends on price point, but the SOG seal pups are great for the money. Full tang, decent steel $50ish

ESEE is the nest step up, here is an ESEE 4 $100ish

Higher end is like a white ricer FC 4 or 5 $300ish

+1 for Esse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom