• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FWIW Colt Detective Specials are 6 shot, and there exists a hammer shroud that makes drawing from concealment less problematic. For that matter, I think S&W made some M12s in 2" snubby. Both 38 spl, of course.

Personally, I don't see any attraction for 357 in a small revolver, or with a 2" barrel.
    3" Python, 3" S&W 625, and 3.5" S&W M27 (N-frame) are as small as I'd care to own in that caliber. Of course, your hands are your own, to use and abuse.

What mission do you have in mind for a snubby 357. if I may ask?

Yes , Detective Specials . I didn't want to send a rookie down the collectible rabbit hole . And the Hammer Shrouds themselves are 4x as rare as the guns .

S&W M12 are Extra sweet ! Once upon a decade a partner carried one . But you would have to rumble 3 S&W collectors to get one .

I am in lust with 2 inch Round Butt ( steel) K Frame , and have one of each . But explaining them , most people don't get them , without actually handling one . They're discontinued , but still findable within 50% of price of 4 inch .

I don't think they are what Muleskinner thinks he's looking for , but short-ish bbl Medium frame .357 are a worthwhile thing . I prefer 2.75 Speed Six over both the 2.5 M19/66 and 3in M13/65 , but that's subjective .

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I know Taurus are hit or miss, but this interests me as a good compromise.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    WOW I knew I would get some good and varying opinions. I'm going to call around to the indoor ranges that rent and see what they have. Thanks for the experienced advice.

GREAT call! Do indeed do yourself this favor.

For all of the great advice you'll find here and elsewhere, that advice will involve in every instance, the many limitations inherent to each individual's limited time and limited monetary resources.

Get your hands on as many different revolvers as you possibly can. It's the fastest and the best way to discover what you like, and what you don't like. Once you've made those determinations, you can then use your money to purchase what you determined to be your own personal favorite. Kinda like picking a wife. And every bit as personal.

Good luck!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The new Colt Cobras are 6-shot .38 Specials so no need to go buy 50 year old guns. Unlike the original Cobras, the new ones are steel and rated for +P ammunition. Which reminds me, I need to pick one up at some point to match my first gen Cobra.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    How about one of these?

.357 Magnum, 3.5" Barrel, 6 shot

344881-1d.png

So ...
    I couldn't make up my mind...so I bought 2 revolvers...a Smith 360PD for an EDC back up. Chambered in 357 mag but will more than likely just carry 38 SPL+P and a Colt King Cobra with a 2 inch barrel for a dedicated home defense gun for the GF. (again, probably with 38SPL+P) She has limited grip strength so raking most semi autos is hard for her...which brings me to my other non revolver purchases for the day..
    S&W performance center M&P EZ 9MM and a Sig 365..I also ordered one of those inexpensive Diamondback DB9 gen 4s

Yes Yes, I finally broke down and got the damned HQL and I'm catching up on what I couldn't buy in the People's Republic of Marylandstan.

Thank goodness for the designated collector letter...

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    8 shots of .357, titanium and scandium...23oz and change. The ultimate carry revolver, nothing else can boast the weight/capacity.

347097166_3073026019669926_3676844178850607350_n.jpg

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My friend has gone down the smith revolver rabbit hole after seeing some of mine. His BBQ gun is a 627 V Comp. It's a badass rig. 8 rounds of 357 magnum, ball bearing detent lockup, two tone finish, compensated (really loud). He had to one up me (my BBQ revolver is a lowly 625jm). He upped me on J frames too. Bought the 360pd and a 340pd. Has a 60 and a 642 for good measure.

You really can't go wrong with smith revolvers. I absolutely love my old ones the best. I have an early fifties j frame that is worn, used, and is anvil tough. It is one of my favorite revolvers to shoot just because I know a lot of its history.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    That can't be comfortable to shoot magnum loads through...What model is that? I still haven't maxed out my credit card..

S&W 327 Performance Center, they are pricy but worth every bit. Not nearly as bad as you would think due to the full-size combat grip.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Smith & Wesson Model 19. Might not be easy to find these days but they are about as smooth and accurate as you could want.

12040-sw-OnWhite-Right__32207.1671030442.1280.1280.png

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Smith & Wesson Model 19. Might not be easy to find these days but they are about as smooth and accurate as you could want.

12040-sw-OnWhite-Right__32207.1671030442.1280.1280.png
    Great guns. Used to shoot a 66 2.5" with full adjustable sights in revo division. Basically a 19 but stainless. Mine was a no dash. If you can find an early 19, it will be salty but it will also be butter smooth.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    My two in standard rotation are an LCR is .327 mag loaded with 5 .32s&wl wadcutters and a last round of .32h&r mag. The other being a S&W 340PD loaded with federal gold medal 148 wadcutter.

The 327 is nice because it holds six, has a decent trigger for a DAO gun, can literally shoot 5 different calibers, and has zero recoil while hitting POA and meeting terminal needs.

The 340PD is a niche gun. It’s the lightest .357 and even the lightest .38 on the market while loaded is below the 1lb threshold one should stay under for ankle carry to prevent long term knee/ joint injury. It’s semi enjoyable to shoot with light wadcutter loads but it’s not as pleasant with standard 138gr or higher .38 loads. .357 mag is downright painful to shoot in an 11oz scandium j frame. It’s great if you need the lighest and virtually rust proof S&W centennial currently made.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Pricey...still might get one though...Would have to wait til xmas...(I can get the GF to help pay for it)

My everyday is a S&W 351PD. 7 shots of .22mag is plenty for me...weighs 12.3oz fully loaded. They're also on the pricey side, but less than a 340/360PD costs.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    If you have a 9mm semi and ammo ,one of these may be a good option .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom