• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    This old shotgun belonged to my wife's great grandfather, and it was recently given to us by her father. It's a single shot 12 ga. break action made by W.M. Davenport Fire Arms Co. in Norwich, CT. I don't know how old it is, but I'd guess it's somewhere in the 1910-1930 range. It's stamped "Model 1885" and also says "Patented Oct.2.1894 - Aug.11.1896." There's no serial number.

After doing some basic function tests, I took it out recently and managed to shoot a 15 in a round of trap, though there are some issues with the gun's functioning. The trigger is surprisingly light, but that may be just a function of how it was made. More problematically, the action opens immediately as it fires, ejecting the shell straight into my face. The latch mechanism appears to hold fine when I break it open and then latch it back together, but somehow the recoil is causing it to open on its own.

I have two questions for you guys:

1. Does anyone have any info on this type of gun and/or what may be causing the issues?

2. I'm considering taking it to a gunsmith to have a general look at it and also to see if the problem can be fixed. Any recommendations in the greater DC metro area?

Here are a few pics for reference.

IMG_20161128_233900_517_zpsvdbnpovg.jpg

IMG_20161128_233923_776_zpsgwz0orcu.jpg

IMG_20161128_233827_851_zpsrdhnuvsy.jpg

IMG_20161128_233953_748_zpsahjiu0f3.jpg

IMG_20161128_234123_717_zpsrwlxgtxx.jpg

IMG_20161128_234028_143_zpsd2szaqym.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    The more I look at it the more I'd recommend not shooting this.
    It's a nice family heirloom with sentimental value and not worth blowing your face off.

Functionally, the insides may be jammed with grease/oil that's turned to varnish (and springs weakened, who knows what else).
    When I got my grandad's Remington 10 I had to completely disassemble it due to the 50 years of oil that congealed in it while hanging on the wall.

This area here looks like it's being battered:

Attachments

• davenport1.jpg
      davenport1.jpg
      7 KB · Views: 776
    Jul 1, 2012
    one more concern, this gap looks WAY too big...
    something going on with the takedown mechanism maybe?

Attachments

• davenport2.jpg
      davenport2.jpg
      30.6 KB · Views: 938
    • davenport3.jpg
      davenport3.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 897

smoothebore

This type of gun would be known as a Hardware Store Gun, meaning it was originally sold in hardware stores back in the day, for very cheap. The looseness in the lock-up is called "off-face", due to excessive wear. It's way beyond needing grease on the pivot pin. That gun has had a long life of putting meat on the table. It has served it's purpose. Maybe a gunsmith could fit a new pin and refurb the lock up, but it would be best to hang it up. I don't like having wall hangers either, but sometimes costs outweighs the desire for a shooter. Even if you get it repaired and back on face, you should find some low pressure shells specifically made for vintage guns. Try www.rstshells.com

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I got a wall hanger that looks exactly like that. I don't think I shoot it, its pretty tired like yours.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I got another old one, J Stevens Bolt Action single shot 20 gauge, around 70 or so years old. I dropped the bolt on concrete and broke the extractor.

Even having someone else work on it for an hour costs more than the gun is worth. A good gunsmith is going to have a several month backlog too.

I found a similar bolt for a different model and took a guess the extractor would work, so for like $50 I bought a bolt just for the extractor.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Even if you get it repaired and back on face, you should find some low pressure shells specifically made for vintage guns. Try www.rstshells.com

I reload my own shells, so I was using a light load, even for a target shell.

I'd get it fixed and cost be damned. It's been in 4 generations of the family as of now...it'd turn my stomach to not ensure it survives a few more, albeit at greatly reduced use. :)

That's pretty much what my wife said this morning when I showed her the thread. Any recommendations on a good gunsmith? I don't mind waiting or paying for decent work.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, that's gonna be a smith job for sure. I'm seeing more gaps than an Appalachian dentist in the pictures and that's definitely not a good thing. Good news is, parts are cheap and mostly appear to be in stock at Numrich. Bad news is, smith work will likely be 3-4 times the value of the gun itself. Also, the last year listed for them is 1915 in regards to single-barrel shotguns. Given that yours is stamped "Firearms Company" and not just "Arms Company" that means it's earlier production (possibly as early as 1890). My guess is modern smokeless and plastic loads are going to wreak havoc on it even with the smith work. Chamber is likely short of the modern 2-3/4 standard and you'll likely get over-pressure at the forcing cone using star-crimps or even standard length roll crimps.

Not saying you shouldn't get the work done, just saying it's going to be expensive and you'll likely have to hand load BP loads with shot cards and roll crimps for it given the age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom