Looking for an experienced Individual or Gunsmith willing to work on Norinco ak47s

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Can anyone recommend an experienced Individual or Gunsmith in Sothern Maryland/Annapolis/Glen Bernie areas who know their way around Norinco ak47s. Looking for the following expertise – experience with riveting, rivet removal, torch –cutting/welding, final wood furniture fitting/installation. I have a couple of MAK90 projects that I need help finishing, Please feel to post or PM me, thanks.

I’ll be cross-posting this over in the Southern Maryland section.

Derek

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Talk to clandestine. He's more than accomplished when it comes to ak platform rifles.

Thanks but I wont be able to help with his particular inquiry. I have moved away from building AK Rifles and I sold all of my build tools a while ago.

You are definately equipped better than I am for AK building. I only do mods to AK's now and very limited at that.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Well I don't know what he needs torch-cut....

All but cutting and welding I'm gtg on.

There's an ak build party coming up. Might wanna see about hitting that to see if we can cure what ails ya.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Chad, you need to come back to the dark side. The Emperor says he misses you.

Mike @ Mid-County does some nice work but he's located in Easton. And he's slammed for the next 6 months. Richard @ Glade Valley in Frederick is also good, can't speak to his availability.

If you are looking for an experienced guy to weld on your gun, Turbothis hangs out at TheAKForum (he's located in the northwest). He has done some fantastic stub rewelds but also "simple" stuff like squaring MAK-91s off to pre-ban config. He also has a CNC machine... pretty much equipped to do anything if you are looking to create an underfolder, sidefolder, or other khyber out of it. As long as he isn't creating a receiver for you, you can ship the rifle there and back without needing an FFL.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Thanks Guys and I apologize for bizarre, noob questions. I thought rivets had to be cut out of a receiver not drilled out like I later found out. Here is what I need done to my MAK90- Remove riveted Rear Trunnion Plate, put on new Rear Trunnion Plate, open up plated-over underfolder holes, and install Bulgarian double-lock underfolder stock. Easy enough, right? I found out I was wrong!

Please see below

I own a neutered MAK 90 “wanna be” underfolder with a Thumb-hole stock. I’ve had it for about 10 years. Recently I decided to modify it to its former glory as an underfolder. I knew I would also need to make it 922 compliant, so I purchased the required parts. I also even managed to find an original underfolder rear trunnion plate. Last night after I posted my original message I contacted a local gunsmith to do the parts modifications. He turned me down saying that I could make the rifle 922 compliant all day long and it would still be illegal because the MAK90 is listed by name in the import ban and ANY modification to the weapon is illegal. He also mentioned that I can modify any other AK to 922 compliancy just not the MAK90. I don’t get it, I’ve seen a ton of modified MAKs and so every single one is illegal? What am I missing? I don't want to do anything illegal.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I was looking for some feedback.

Is the gunsmith incorrect? Does anyone know an answer ? Or is this the wrong place to ask?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Well I don't know what he needs torch-cut....

All but cutting and welding I'm gtg on.

There's an ak build party coming up. Might wanna see about hitting that to see if we can cure what ails ya.

Cutting and welding covered here. I am doing an under folder. The Polish setup I have is pretty simple but there are plenty of designs. No promises but we should have enough tools and experience gathered to handle it. Check in at the other thread.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I own a neutered MAK 90 “wanna be” underfolder with a Thumb-hole stock. I’ve had it for about 10 years. Recently I decided to modify it to its former glory as an underfolder. I knew I would also need to make it 922 compliant, so I purchased the required parts. I also even managed to find an original underfolder rear trunnion plate. Last night after I posted my original message I contacted a local gunsmith to do the parts modifications. He turned me down saying that I could make the rifle 922 compliant all day long and it would still be illegal because the MAK90 is listed by name in the import ban and ANY modification to the weapon is illegal. He also mentioned that I can modify any other AK to 922 compliancy just not the MAK90. I don’t get it, I’ve seen a ton of modified MAKs and so every single one is illegal? What am I missing? I don't want to do anything illegal.

Not too much work... if you have the correct Chinese UF trunnion and the receiver already has the correct holes cut, most of the legwork is done. The old rivet heads should be carefully drilled out, the old trunnion removed, and any extra holes filled as needed before riveting the new trunnion and refinishing.

Your smith is incorrect about 922(r). He's likely confusing the expired nationwide AWB laws with 922(r) requirements. The MAK is now just a "sporting import" no different than a Saiga or WASR single-stack. They can be modified freely as long as 922(r) conditions are met.

TH-X15

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks Guys and I apologize for bizarre, noob questions. I thought rivets had to be cut out of a receiver not drilled out like I later found out. Here is what I need done to my MAK90- Remove riveted Rear Trunnion Plate, put on new Rear Trunnion Plate, open up plated-over underfolder holes, and install Bulgarian double-lock underfolder stock. Easy enough, right? I found out I was wrong!

Please see below

I'm not sure he is right or not. But I found this: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195716

So either he is wrong or they are wrong.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I'm not sure he is right or not. But I found this: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195716

So either he is wrong or they are wrong.

He's wrong! Century imports "sporting" WASRs from Romania, opens the magwell up and adds a few US parts to comply with 922(r). Arsenal does (or did) the same thing with Russian and Bulgarian "sporting" AKs. The MAK is no exception, it's perfectly legal to modify as long as the foreign parts count is 10 or less.

Here's a nifty calculator:
    http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Chad, you need to come back to the dark side. The Emperor says he misses you.
    Mike @ Mid-County does some nice work but he's located in Easton. And he's slammed for the next 6 months. Richard @ Glade Valley in Frederick is also good, can't speak to his availability.
    If you are looking for an experienced guy to weld on your gun, Turbothis hangs out at TheAKForum (he's located in the northwest). He has done some fantastic stub rewelds but also "simple" stuff like squaring MAK-91s off to pre-ban config. He also has a CNC machine... pretty much equipped to do anything if you are looking to create an underfolder, sidefolder, or other khyber out of it. As long as he isn't creating a receiver for you, you can ship the rifle there and back without needing an FFL.

Not too much work... if you have the correct Chinese UF trunnion and the receiver already has the correct holes cut, most of the legwork is done. The old rivet heads should be carefully drilled out, the old trunnion removed, and any extra holes filled as needed before riveting the new trunnion and refinishing.
    Your smith is incorrect about 922(r). He's likely confusing the expired nationwide AWB laws with 922(r) requirements. The MAK is now just a "sporting import" no different than a Saiga or WASR single-stack. They can be modified freely as long as 922(r) conditions are met.

Thank you Sir, you've been most helpful, I've just made contact with Glade Valley in Frederick and am setting up a time to get the work done. I'm not sure what the smith I first contacted was thinking but the mis-information scared the crap out of me. Someone should know better before they spread mis-infromation, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom