• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never hunted or fished and I really want to get into it. So in light of that, I've finally got my Maryland hunter safety certificate. I went ahead and registered on Compass and bought a 2014 hunting license and tidal waters fishing license as well as the 2014 regulation guide. I have no idea what gear I need, where to fish/hunt, how to dress game, good techniques, etc. I live around Catonsville and I could really use a mentor.

I've extended this invite to a couple other MDS members,if the a**hole that has my boat ever finishes with repairs you're more than welcome to come striper/perch jerking/skate shooting.Unfortunately for hunting,until Sept. it's crows and groundhogs and I can't help there.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I've never hunted or fished and I really want to get into it. So in light of that, I've finally got my Maryland hunter safety certificate. I went ahead and registered on Compass and bought a 2014 hunting license and tidal waters fishing license as well as the 2014 regulation guide. I have no idea what gear I need, where to fish/hunt, how to dress game, good techniques, etc. I live around Catonsville and I could really use a mentor.

Please note that I have never hunted/fished in MD/East Coast, so I can only give you some general suggestions from doing so out West. If I say anything that is wrong/can be improved upon, please point it out because I'm in no way an expert.

Hunting:

1. Firearm

You'll want a firearm that is appropriate to the type of game you'll be hunting; in both type and caliber. For example, a .30-06 rifle for hunting deer, .223 HBAR for pigs, etc. I would suggest that you are comfortable (have experience) with a firearm before attempting to hunt with it. While I'm sure you're going to hit the game (provided you know your firearm), you want to minimize the chance of wounding it/causing unnecessary suffering.

2. Clothing

Really anything that camouflages you is fine; you will legally need to wear orange (so other hunters won't accidentally confuse you with game). Scent-lok is good in that it helps camouflage your scent so you have less to worry about if the wind changes direction. Using scent-hiding sprays for your exposed skin is also a good idea. Depending on if you are actively hunting or using a deer-blind/sitting in a tree will change the amount of camouflage/scent-hiding required. Then again, my successful bow-hunting cousin-in-law wears his beater baseball cap that he pours some scent-lock stuff in and flips it back onto his head (idk, maybe deer in Ohio are stupid).

3. Accessories

Are you hunting for food? For a trophy and donating the meat? What you plan on doing with the game after you're done will affect what you bring with you. Depending on the size of the game, you'll need to drag it out of the woods with you (and then move it with your truck). I believe there is info on skinning/hunting knife selection in the knife forum from last year. If you're going to skin/gut it in the woods, you'll probably also want an apron/gloves. If you want it preserved, find your taxidermist before hunting. Meat that is donated (again, find beforehand) will go to help feed the hungry.

Fishing

1. Pole and Bait

Are you going fishing with a traditional pole (most likely) or fly-fishing? I would strongly suggest the first method as fly-fishing requires practice to land decent casts. If you're into fly-fishing, you'll also have to research common insects in the area that fish feed upon. Do invest in the gear to make your own flies - it's relaxing and more cost-effective. If you're going fishing with a traditional pole, you can buy bait wherever it's sold in the area - personally I wouldn't suggest digging your yard for earthworms (because you'll hurt the health of your yard). BE AWARE OF YOUR LOCATION RELATIVE TO OTHER PEOPLE IN THE AREA WHILE CASTING - it's not fun getting hooked because your friend wasn't paying attention; obviously don't fish in an area with swimmers.

2. Clothing

You can really wear anything that is comfortable. A fishing hat/vest is nice if you're fly fishing because you're probably going to wade out into the water (need waist/chest-high waders) and you can carry your gear with you. If you're using a traditional bait+pole, you'll have your tackle box right there with you so there really aren't any requirements.

3. Accessories

For catch-and-release, the only accessories you'll need (beside a tackle box) is a hook-remover; if you're a skilled fisherman, you can use pliers to remove it. If you aren't, I believe they make specialty hook-removers. If you're planning on eating the fish, you'll want the hook-remover and an iced cooler (preferably one separate from the one holding your beer). Some people gut the fish in the wild, which would require a filleting (spelling?) knife.

ETC

Respect nature and leave it better than you found it - and have fun!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    check with the DNR. They are planning novice hunters classes covering all the basics; gun cleaning and care, waterfowl, deer, turkey etc. This is a new program and the only way I found out about it was the DNR rep came to the AGC to ask to be able to use the facilities.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, guys! This is all really great information. I'll have to poke around the DNR site to see about novice hunter classes.

With regards to hunting and gear, I'd like to take game for meat and I have a 590A1 to do so. The research I've done seems to indicate that there aren't many areas to hunt with a rifle in Maryland unless you go further west.

Turkey season sounds fun but a little intimidating. The instructors made it sound dangerous and I don't think I'd try doing it without the guidance of an experienced turkey hunter

I don't own any fishing gear so I figured that I'd head down to Clyde's and see what gear they think a novice should get. I figured that I'd go for a traditional pole rather than fly fishing for now.

Thanks again for all the info!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've extended this invite to a couple other MDS members,if the a**hole that has my boat ever finishes with repairs you're more than welcome to come striper/perch jerking/skate shooting.Unfortunately for hunting,until Sept. it's crows and groundhogs and I can't help there.

Crow went out on March 15th, so pretty much only groundhogs and turkeys until mid August when crows come back in. Then the fun really starts in September.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/Hunting_Seasons_Calendar.pdf

OP - what type of hunting are you looking to do? Wing shooting? Deer? Bear? Small game like squirrels or rabbits? Do you own a shotgun, rifle, bow?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For all around freshwater fishing spinning rod , 6 to 6.5 feet ,fast action, with a medimum sized spinning real the general size of a Mitchell 300 n with 6 to 8lb line. The reel refrence is dating me , but the guys at an old school tackle store will know what that means. For Bay and Ocean fishing I will defere to those who know better.

For hunting , your existing 590 will get you started ( presuming it is choke equipped ) . It keep your needs simplified , light loads of #7.5 for birds , medimum loads of #5 or #6 for squirel , rabbit , small game generally, slugs for deer.

I don't recomend starting out ( solo ) for Turkey not so much because it's dangerous , but that it takes a bit of skill and speciric knowledge.

A good place to start is squirels . They're widespread , a variety of techniques and stratagies can be used , and to a degree the woods skills you learn there will transfer later to deer hunting.

Turkey and Bow hunting require the greatest degree of camoflaguing on purpose. Otherwise you can get by reasonably well with whatever is reasonably rugged , earth toned , and weather suitable.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm looking to take deer at the end of the year and fish whenever I can. If I can do wing shooting with my current gear, I'd like to try - but my 590 is a cylinder bore without a way to attach a choke. It might do, but if I decide to seriously pursue wing shooting, I'd rather get a proper bird gun. With regards to other gear, I have 2 ARs and a Marlin 795 LTR. I'm not sure that either of those are useful in Maryland. If I can find a good place to hunt with a rifle, I'd like to pick up a solid bolt action. My in laws in Texas tell me there are plenty of good places to hunt there, so maybe that'll be a good opportunity to pick up a bolt gun. In the meantime, I plan to practice shooting 1oz foster slugs with my 590 in hopes of harvesting a deer in 9 months. I have no archery gear or muzzleloader to take advantage of the earlier seasons.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks, guys! This is all really great information. I'll have to poke around the DNR site to see about novice hunter classes.

With regards to hunting and gear, I'd like to take game for meat and I have a 590A1 to do so. The research I've done seems to indicate that there aren't many areas to hunt with a rifle in Maryland unless you go further west.

Turkey season sounds fun but a little intimidating. The instructors made it sound dangerous and I don't think I'd try doing it without the guidance of an experienced turkey hunter

I don't own any fishing gear so I figured that I'd head down to Clyde's and see what gear they think a novice should get. I figured that I'd go for a traditional pole rather than fly fishing for now.

Thanks again for all the info!
    Fishing for a newb to get you started..get you a rod reel, some 15lb test line some splitshot sinkers and hooks and maybe a bobber. Bait with a good ol nightcrawler cast it out and wait. Learn some good knots to tie...I prefer this one...it rarely breaks because of the knot.
    palomarknot.htm

I'm looking to take deer at the end of the year and fish whenever I can. If I can do wing shooting with my current gear, I'd like to try - but my 590 is a cylinder bore without a way to attach a choke. It might do, but if I decide to seriously pursue wing shooting, I'd rather get a proper bird gun. With regards to other gear, I have 2 ARs and a Marlin 795 LTR. I'm not sure that either of those are useful in Maryland. If I can find a good place to hunt with a rifle, I'd like to pick up a solid bolt action. My in laws in Texas tell me there are plenty of good places to hunt there, so maybe that'll be a good opportunity to pick up a bolt gun. In the meantime, I plan to practice shooting 1oz foster slugs with my 590 in hopes of harvesting a deer in 9 months. I have no archery gear or muzzleloader to take advantage of the earlier seasons.

Id get yourself a crossbow, and or a muzzleloader.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    This is a good set up for beginners until you get the hang of setting the hook. Most people pull it right out of the fishes mouth. Ninety degree hook makes it harder to pull out. Works great for kids. Place a bobber 12" above the hook. This rig works great in shallow moving streams.

Ps. If it's cool I would love to go SRD

Attachments

• DropShotRig.png
      DropShotRig.png
      2.8 KB · Views: 157

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    If I were in your shoes I would try to get a muzzleloader.for the early season.The weather is usually nice and the deer are on the move because of the cooling temps and the rut ready to bust loose.Once you get the experience ,you wont regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom