• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Depends on the subject of the hunt. I'm probably going out for squirrels first, no time limit on those. Thought I might try Pax River for my first time.

Been watching Duck Dynasty huh?;) But yeah bow season is open till the end of Jan. I do miss the long bow season. Here it ended 24 Dec. Good luck theres plenty of deer out there!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Depends on the subject of the hunt. I'm probably going out for squirrels first, no time limit on those. Thought I might try Pax River for my first time.

Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
    Nov. 3–Feb. 28
    All counties
    4 per day

Squirrel

Gray and eastern fox
    Sept. 1–Feb. 28
    All counties
    6 per day

Squirrel

Red or piney
    Sept. 1–Feb. 28
    All counties
    No limit
    No limit

Delmarva fox squirrel
    CLOSED SEASON

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
    Nov. 3–Feb. 28
    All counties
    4 per day

Squirrel

Gray and eastern fox
    Sept. 1–Feb. 28
    All counties
    6 per day

Squirrel

Red or piney
    Sept. 1–Feb. 28
    All counties
    No limit
    No limit

Delmarva fox squirrel
    CLOSED SEASON

You are correct, I have till the end of Feb. Would like to get in on some groundhog varmint control as well if anyone can help point me in the right directions.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    You are correct, I have till the end of Feb. Would like to get in on some groundhog varmint control as well if anyone can help point me in the right directions.
    Groundhogs will be around April depending on how cold it still is.

Not many of use squirrel eaters around anymore, there should be plenty on any wma that is a fire arm zone. Same withe ghogs on the cwma's. If there's fields,get them before the beans come up to high. If the field has corn in it,less chance of ghogs. Still may find some but they like beans.

Id be willing to help some people out. Ive been hunting since i was 14, 25 now and have hunted a large group of animals. deer fox coyotes, rabbits ducks, geese, and so on. If you can hunt it i probably have. Any questions feel free to ask. If you have private land i would be willing to take you out for whatever you are wanting to hunt. Help set up tree stands, find good areas to hunt, track deer and so on. dont be scared to ask.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I just took the hunters safety course online and sent off an email for the hunter field day. I hope I will be able to get in by March.

I hope we can keep this post going. While I am waiting I am trying to prepare with what I will need to hunt. I'm having a hard time if I should get the rifle first or bow? Any recommendations?

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    I just took the hunters safety course online and sent off an email for the hunter field day. I hope I will be able to get in by March.

I hope we can keep this post going. While I am waiting I am trying to prepare with what I will need to hunt. I'm having a hard time if I should get the rifle first or bow? Any recommendations?

for me, i say bow. rifle hunting is fun.but there is no better feeling then shafting a deer at 20 yards. plus you get 5 months of bow and only 17 dayz with a gun.

Wahama90

I would get the rifle before you have to submit DNA, and your first born child to get one.

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    I have been interested in Hunting but of course I need the proper weaponry. I also need proper licensure and not to mention....Living in P.G. County SUCKS! Then not to mention again....I dont know to many folks in my area to go with.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    plenty public hunting in PG, you just need to look in the rite places.
    I have been interested in Hunting but of course I need the proper weaponry. I also need proper licensure and not to mention....Living in P.G. County SUCKS! Then not to mention again....I dont know to many folks in my area to go with.

Rem96

Feb 6, 2013
    Southern MD
    If anyone is looking for some friendly advice feel free to ask. I've been hunting about 5 years or so and I love it. However, nothing truly beats being out in the woods and learning about your quarry from what your senses gather. I'm in no way a professional but I can tell you all about the emotional roller coaster that is hunting. I will warn you all though, this sport is addicting! It has such an impact on my life that I am currently filling out my paperwork to become a Junior Hunter Safety Instructor.

If you respect the game and the laws then you will always enjoy the experience.

A bad day hunting beats a good day at work/school

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If anyone is looking for some friendly advice feel free to ask. I've been hunting about 5 years or so and I love it. However, nothing truly beats being out in the woods and learning about your quarry from what your senses gather. I'm in no way a professional but I can tell you all about the emotional roller coaster that is hunting. I will warn you all though, this sport is addicting! It has such an impact on my life that I am currently filling out my paperwork to become a Junior Hunter Safety Instructor.

If you respect the game and the laws then you will always enjoy the experience.

A bad day hunting beats any day at work/school

Fixed it for you! :D And I am trying to do this as well..I am waiting for a call back on a training/certification class.

Feb 17, 2012
    Frederick County
    any of you gentlemen that are looking to getting back into hunting I've got a small farm i'd be willing to take you out on for small game and deer. Personal message me for info! also check out my facebook page! Lone Scout Survival!

Feb 17, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hunting Mentor

On the offshoot that anyone is looking for a hunting buddy, I'd like to start getting geared up and ready for my first hunt in 2013. Let me know if any of you are interested. I'm interested in different types of hunts from small game through Deer. Traveling a bit is no issue for me, I live in the Glen Burnie area.

I'd be glad to help! I have 35 acres here in Fred. Co. that i could take ya out for small game and deer

TFK99

Nov 12, 2012
    Dundalk
    this new season

I'm pumped about trying to get out this season, time and family holding me back just a bit, and just wishing I knew someone with private land where I could actually set up and be able to get a grip on my buck fever and shoot my first deer, then maybe I could relax a bit when I go to loch raven and other places. I've been thinking once you get the first one you shouldn't have any major problems getting another. but I could be wrong 5 years now I've missed 4, hopefully this season will pay off once I start going out. Good luck and Happy Safe hunting everyone.:party29:

flytire

May 4, 2012
    New Windsor, Md
    Ms Handy @ DNR

I think her response was fine... not sarcastic...her program is for women only...
    the information she provided to you was what I would have told you ...
    no need for a personal attack.........................

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Might be able to help in PG County

I'm willing to offer what I can to folks who are looking to get into deer hunting. Always wanted to hunt but never did because I didn't have anyone to teach me how. Last year a friend took me to a lease in Texas and I got my first deer. He showed me how to field dress and quarter the deer...that gave me the confidence to go out on my own and I took a doe this past weekend. Will be the first to tell you I'm no expert on deer hunting but have learned enough to find them (on public land), put them down quickly, and recover the meat. Can't promise a ton of one on one time due to my job but again will do what I can. If you're interested and if you already have your Hunter Safety card, PM me and will work something out.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    This one is for those who have the gear, the Safety Card, and the license but are still holding back for fear of not knowing what to do once you kill a deer:

1. After tagging the deer (I cut a hole in the ear and use a zip tie), hang the deer vertically by the neck and carefully make a cut from just above the anus all the way to the throat. This can be done with the deer on the ground but if you have the ability to hang the deer vertically by the neck what comes next is much easier. Some recommend making two cuts...one to get through the skin and a follow-up along the same path to get through the membrane that holds the internal organs in. Just be careful not to puncture or slice through any of the internal organs. If you do this by mistake, it will stink like hell but you can still recover the meat so don't freak out.

2. This part is prob not required but makes the job MUCH easier...I use long handled curved pruning shears (short curved blades...not the straight kind) to cut through the sternum/breastbone towards the throat. This will allow easier access to the vital organs inside the chest cavity by spreading the ribs apart. At the other end of the deer, cut down to the pelvic bone with your knife and break the bone with the shears. This will allow you to spread the deer's hind legs apart much wider for easy removal of the organs.

3. Cut through the meat on the underside of the neck to get to the windpipe and cut it. If the deer is hanging vertically, gravity will work in your favor and you can basically remove everything by pulling downward on the guts. You'll have to scrape/slice here and there with the tip of your knife but by hanging it this way, what you remove will hang out of the way below where you're working rather than pile up inside the rib cage.

4. Once you've removed the internal organs all the way down to the anus, cut as close to or around the anus as possible. At this point, you should have all the internal organs laying on the ground underneath the deer and it's field dressed. I was pretty apprehensive about doing this unsupervised but the thought of dragging a non-field dressed deer several hundred yards is pretty strong motivation to remove all the extra weight before trying to move the deer. Additionally, the processor I use charges the same fee whether you bring them quarters and loins or if you bring them an unskinned, field-dressed deer. Might as well get your money's worth from the processor and not try to quarter or butcher one yourself until you get comfortable with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom