• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    If this ever gets off the ground, I would be interested. I have a new fellow at work who is taking me duck hunting in January. Looking forward to that quite a bit, never been before. I want to learn Goose, Deer, and Turkey as well. Definately interested in hands on techniques for cleaning and processing as well. Would pay for courses if they could be arranged...

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Impressive...sounds like a government agency is discriminating against a sex here.

I'm sure the higher ups at DNR would love to hear her response.

I used to work with the DNR Fisheries service, and know folks involved with BOW. I have spoken with Patty re: the BOW program and I did not take her reply to be sarcastic in the least. I'm a female, so this coming from the perspective of a woman, from Dundalk/SE Baltimore Co with NO hunters or outdoorspeople of ANY gender in my family... Patty and the DNR are attempting to provide women like me with a chance to get involved in the outdoors in a supportive atmosphere. It's not discrimination-- it's providing an opportunity for a group of people who traditionally have not been involved in outdoor sports, particularly hunting, to learn. An environment where we don't have to be called "little lady" by various older men. Just saying... :rolleyes:

There are a TON of other non-profits that would love to help all people learn to hunt-- regardless of gender. It just so happens that BOW is geared for women. Calm down.

I am in the same boat as a bunch of you folks on this board in having no close friends or family to learn from. I contacted BOW first but found that I could not afford their early clinic in late August (I am a teacher-- money is tight in the summer). She recommended I get my license, so I took the online course and am completing the practical portion this Saturday in Harford Co. Since I missed out on most of the BOW stuff this year, I contacted the local NWTF chapters and heard back from two-- one down in AA county and one up towards Harford. The one in AA seems to do more. They have Tuesday night shoots at their little range, and I am hopeful that involvement with them will provide me with a good selection of hunting mentors in addition to advice/ guidance on purchasing the correct firearms for hunting.

So instead of freaking out because one program is designed to support a significant minority group in hunting, look at some of your other options fellas.

Info on NWTF chapters closest to you can be found on their website. I am sure other groups such as the IWLA have experienced hunters that would love to help new hunters get involved.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    On the offshoot that anyone is looking for a hunting buddy, I'd like to start getting geared up and ready for my first hunt in 2013. Let me know if any of you are interested. I'm interested in different types of hunts from small game through Deer. Traveling a bit is no issue for me, I live in the Glen Burnie area.

Im in AA county too, i have all my gear set and was looking for a hunting buddy and actually talk with a guy from the forum then we went t o cresap to sight in his shotgun, my two rifles and then i never heard of him again( he was supose to tell me when were we go scouting) we were supose to scout somewhere in frederick but after that didnt anyone else i could ask to partner on a hunting trip/scout etc.

However im still very interested i also have a compound bow if there is any interest in bow hunting. If you are up to partnering for 2013 season counting the remaining of this season please let me know.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Im in AA county too, i have all my gear set and was looking for a hunting buddy and actually talk with a guy from the forum then we went t o cresap to sight in his shotgun, my two rifles and then i never heard of him again( he was supose to tell me when were we go scouting) we were supose to scout somewhere in frederick but after that didnt anyone else i could ask to partner on a hunting trip/scout etc.

However im still very interested i also have a compound bow if there is any interest in bow hunting. If you are up to partnering for 2013 season counting the remaining of this season please let me know.

Definitely interested, however I can't hunt myself until 2013, I need to do the Hunter Safety course. Let me know and we can hookup and discuss.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    While I can't offer anyone to hunt where I do I'd be more then happy to help with tracking, field dressing, butchering, scouting etc. ill do my best to reach what I can. I'm rather new myself but i learned from one of the best outdoorsman out there. I've got two beautiful bucks on the wall and a bunch of does in the freezer. Pm me if anyone needs anything. I can even give people some info on good bow hunting spots at loch raven.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I've never hunted anything before and reading the posts felt like I'm missing everything. I think the mentor idea is perfect way to learn.

I hope something will come out of this and I would like to join up as well. I guess my first step would be to take the training course very soon.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I would not mind to take people hunting with me but I hunt in a club and they frown if I was to just bring somebody in to hunt with.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Why join a club? Don't clubs try to bring in new people?

There is a waiting list of guys that want in but got to wait till a member leaves. They only about 25 guys in at one time and the avg guy has been in the club for about 15 years so there is not a lot of new guys per year

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    I hunt public land around Frederick and MoCo mostly, used to go up to Warrior Mountain until my friend got Parkinsons. My girlfriend and mom are always complaining about me hunting alone, all of my hunting buddies went and had children or standard 9-5 jobs. Working where I do it's hard to find anyone to hunt with, not that I would want to hunt with them anyways. Mostly deer and turkey, some small game. I've pass shooted geese and ducks before( Yeah I know; Boo!).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Definitely interested, however I can't hunt myself until 2013, I need to do the Hunter Safety course. Let me know and we can hookup and discuss.

I know it may sound stupid but you can always practice...just go out with a camera and hone your skills. Some folks do it because they dont hunt/kill just want good wildlife photo's...but lots can be learned by just practicing and you get some good photos in the process...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Ok I have completed the online portion of Hunter Safety and have registered for the Field Day Workshop in Salisbury on Sunday Jan 6th. If anyone else is looking to do this too, maybe we can link up for a road trip? I'll be coming from Anne Arundel Co.

TFK99

Nov 12, 2012
    Dundalk
    I've had a buddy of mine push me the last 15 years to go hunting, so 4 years ago i started have had many opertunites to get a deer from ground level but blown it, and just recently missed 2 does i shot at with my crossbow cause of Buck Fever,(doe fever) in this case. My friend however has tought me soo much and shown me the spots to set up so it hasn't been to difficult for me to figure it out. Basicaly pick a easy piece of land, i started with loch raven which is realy over hunted now, but easily to scout during the off season, if i was closer to green ridge state forest i'd definitly would hunt there, but alot of hills to deal with. Basic ground rule i've learned is COVER but have enough shooting lanes so you don't hit the tree when you take ya shot (like myself) sigh. Scent blocker it works but not too necessary if the winds blowing in the direction you know the deer are traveling against. i had 3 doe 3 feet in front of me muzzle loader season. so thats why i think scent controll could be a little BS. Trail cams are more so for private property, so i don't dig em cool pics i see of the people who do use em, but i'm not buying someone else a trail cam if you know what i mean. I've watched 2 guys field dress their deers looks simple, just make sure you have a super sharp Knife. ground blinds are good, specialy in rain. but down fall is you can't see the direction the deer are comming from if set up in a heavy wooded area. my biggest down fall is once again Buck Fever i'm looking around for some kinda breathing technique or something to help with it, i hear it slowly goes away after you get one but i don't know, the best quote i heard though from a kid in his early 20s was if he never got buck fever again he wouldn't want to hunt anything ever again. think about it, it's kinda true if you can go out and kill something with out some kind of concience then you shouldn't have a firearm or bow in your posession. just lil something i learned of the years hope it helps out, patiently waiting for my 4 year old son to turn 9 or 10 so he can be my hunting buddy. so once you pick up the technique of things, teach another younger person the respect of hunting and get them involved as well.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've had a buddy of mine push me the last 15 years to go hunting, so 4 years ago i started have had many opertunites to get a deer from ground level but blown it, and just recently missed 2 does i shot at with my crossbow cause of Buck Fever,(doe fever) in this case. My friend however has tought me soo much and shown me the spots to set up so it hasn't been to difficult for me to figure it out. Basicaly pick a easy piece of land, i started with loch raven which is realy over hunted now, but easily to scout during the off season, if i was closer to green ridge state forest i'd definitly would hunt there, but alot of hills to deal with. Basic ground rule i've learned is COVER but have enough shooting lanes so you don't hit the tree when you take ya shot (like myself) sigh. Scent blocker it works but not too necessary if the winds blowing in the direction you know the deer are traveling against. i had 3 doe 3 feet in front of me muzzle loader season. so thats why i think scent controll could be a little BS. Trail cams are more so for private property, so i don't dig em cool pics i see of the people who do use em, but i'm not buying someone else a trail cam if you know what i mean. I've watched 2 guys field dress their deers looks simple, just make sure you have a super sharp Knife. ground blinds are good, specialy in rain. but down fall is you can't see the direction the deer are comming from if set up in a heavy wooded area. my biggest down fall is once again Buck Fever i'm looking around for some kinda breathing technique or something to help with it, i hear it slowly goes away after you get one but i don't know, the best quote i heard though from a kid in his early 20s was if he never got buck fever again he wouldn't want to hunt anything ever again. think about it, it's kinda true if you can go out and kill something with out some kind of concience then you shouldn't have a firearm or bow in your posession. just lil something i learned of the years hope it helps out, patiently waiting for my 4 year old son to turn 9 or 10 so he can be my hunting buddy. so once you pick up the technique of things, teach another younger person the respect of hunting and get them involved as well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I still get "buck/doe" fever...its the excitement of hunting for me! I wont turn down a good trophy but I'm a meat hunter predominantly...

So what helps? with Buck/doe fever? well for me I dont shoot when my adrenaline first spikes. Be patient and the adrenaline will wear off shortly and your heart rate WILL come back down. It seems like a long time but maybe it is only a minute or two at most...just try to stay calm and dont make any moves! take your time and make a good shot! You will have clarity once the adrenaline rush is passing! Taking a few deep breaths helps too. just realize the critical time to make mistakes is when your adrenaline is rushing!! get past that and you'll do fine! Of course once I've shot my adrenaline rushs again:o:Dbut thats why I love hunting!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    honestly it would be good to get something put together on here for finding hunting buddies in your area. I don't think I need a mentor as I've been hunting many times, but I sure as hell don't know everything by a wide margin, especially hunting on non-private property with permits and all. I'd love to get in on a group hunt with some MDS members!

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    i'm willing to help out. my hunting club is also taking on members(deer /turkey hunting).lease 4k acers right out side of powellville 20 min from O.C.
    i also own land in greenridge, thats good for deer,turkey,small game and one hell of a good time. i live in AA. PM me if want.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Had a great time today completing my Field Day Hunter Safety course near the Salisbury airport at the NRP station. Most of the class travelled from across the bridge to be there. Can't wait to get out for my first hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom