• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    On the offshoot that anyone is looking for a hunting buddy, I'd like to start getting geared up and ready for my first hunt in 2013. Let me know if any of you are interested. I'm interested in different types of hunts from small game through Deer. Traveling a bit is no issue for me, I live in the Glen Burnie area.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Same here, I've only been out one day this year. First time hunting since I was a kid, so I'm a novice. I have ground blind, camo, an excellent crossbow, .308 rifle (where permitted) purchased full license. I'm even interested in waterfowl, but deer would be primary goal.

Mostly I'd need help with location, knowledge of basics, gutting, tagging, processing(or having processed), simple stuff; but some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I have membership at Patuxent, maybe they have a forum or new hunter program. This is a little tough getting into without a mentor.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    You might already know this, but just in case you don't - you need to take/pass the Hunter Safety course before you can hunt, so that would be a good thing to do over the winter. The DNR website should have info on how/where you can take the course in your area.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You might already know this, but just in case you don't - you need to take/pass the Hunter Safety course before you can hunt, so that would be a good thing to do over the winter. The DNR website should have info on how/where you can take the course in your area.

Did this earlier this year; had to complete the hunter safety course to get a license. They said now that we are in the system, next year can get licenses online.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    If any of the other newbies on here are interested maybe we could start up our own hunt group and learn together as we go? Thoughts?

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I might be interested for next hunting season. My hunter safety card is from 1971 and my last hunting license, still on my hunting jacket is from 1984. I assume I would not have to take a Hunter Safety course again.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I might be interested for next hunting season. My hunter safety card is from 1971 and my last hunting license, still on my hunting jacket is from 1984. I assume I would not have to take a Hunter Safety course again.

The DNR website says they made the course mandatory to get a license in 1977. You don't need to take the course if you held a license before July 1, 1977.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    DNR has a program BOW (Becoming an Outdoor Woman) whereby they hold 'clinics' for deer hunting, geese hunting, etc. Stick with me here...
    Being in a similar situation as the OP a few years ago (and still), I signed my wife up in the hopes she would be interested and I could tag along (spouses are welcome). Three seasons passed and she was NOT at all interested. Meanwhile, she (actually I) continued to get the announcements for the clinics. So I wrote to the program coordinator and explained that I never had the opportunity to learn to hunt, etc., and that I was certain there were many in Maryland just like me. I wondered if they could possibly do a similar program for men. Long story short, she was not at all interested. That was a few weeks ago. But, I think there's hope. I have been bouncing around the idea of creating a similar program with or without DNR (hopefully with) and under the aegis of my business, Camillo Outfitters, in order to organize the financial aspects of the program. If anyone is interested, maybe we should have a planning meeting maybe sometime in December where we could discuss what we would be interested in, and how to go about putting together 'clinics.' One way to go about it would be to hire instructors, pay for venues, etc. The founders of this program could be those in this thread that have a strong enough interest to be part of the program, something more than students. Or just be students. Something to consider.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Here is her reply to my email. I took her first sentence as sarcastic - "Becoming outdoors men" which I never said. (I bet she's a man hater):

Sent By: "Patricia Handy" <phandy@dnr.state.md.us> On: Nov 11/13/12 8:36 AM

Unfortunately we don’t have any “Becoming an Outdoors-Men” programs. A suggestion would be to become involved with some NGO’s (Non-Governmental Organizations) such as The Maryland Waterfowler’s Society, The Maryland Bowhunter’s Society, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, etc. These groups have a number of hunters associated with them that may be willing to take you out and mentor you in hunting. Our BOW program does allow men to participate, but is obviously geared towards women and trying to teach them in a non-intimidating environment.

We do have programs, such as National Hunting & Fishing Day, where we bring many of these groups together to have hands on displays and activities to promote their programs. It would be a good way to introduce yourself to these groups and see what you would be interested in. This event takes place on the 4th Saturday in September and will be held at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore in 2013.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Patricia Handy (Allen)

MD-DNR WHS

Information & Education Program Manager

580 Taylor Ave., E-1

Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-260-8537

Fax: 410-260-8596

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:50 PM
    To: Handy, Patricia
    Subject: Re: Beyond BOW Goose Clinic & Hunt- Registration now open! & 2013 BOW Schedule update

Patty
    do you know if there is anything like this for men? I've tried to get my wife interested (the reason I signed up for your emails) for a couple years now and it's not working. But I know several men, including myself, that have never had the opportunity to learn to hunt geese or deer and would love to attend clinics such as you offer for women. (Heck, I'd even come to one of the BOW clinics if I could). I really think there would be a lot of interest by males if this was offered to them as well. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If any of the other newbies on here are interested maybe we could start up our own hunt group and learn together as we go? Thoughts?

I'd be willing to try a hunting meet up of us novices or others, might be the beginnings of a new club; but my questions/needs are pretty straight forward. Where to hunt (legally of course), general (basic) hunting tips, how to field gut the deer, how to tag it in the field, how best to get it to the vehicle, best way to transport (I don't own a truck (yet)) where to take it to be processed. Easy stuff.

DNR has a program BOW (Becoming an Outdoor Woman) whereby they hold 'clinics' for deer hunting, geese hunting, etc. Stick with me here...

Interesting. I've already invested a lot of time/money in getting training and equipment, I'm willing to go a little further and try harder. I'd prefer a mentor, but if there was a program or someone willing to be something of an amateur guide (for little or nothing other than the experience of leading), I'm very interested.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Impressive...sounds like a government agency is discriminating against a sex here.

I'm sure the higher ups at DNR would love to hear her response.

Does DNR charge for the womens class or is it free?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'd be willing to try a hunting meet up of us novices or others, might be the beginnings of a new club; but my questions/needs are pretty straight forward. Where to hunt (legally of course), general (basic) hunting tips, how to field gut the deer, how to tag it in the field, how best to get it to the vehicle, best way to transport (I don't own a truck (yet)) where to take it to be processed. Easy stuff.

Interesting. I've already invested a lot of time/money in getting training and equipment, I'm willing to go a little further and try harder. I'd prefer a mentor, but if there was a program or someone willing to be something of an amateur guide (for little or nothing other than the experience of leading), I'm very interested.

I like the idea. I'm working on picking up a bow and brushing up on archery skills, camo is no problem, I have a few ideas on how to move the animal, and I'm going to try my hand at muzzleloading for the first time this coming year.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Impressive...sounds like a government agency is discriminating against a sex here.

I'm sure the higher ups at DNR would love to hear her response.

Does DNR charge for the womens class or is it free?

They charge, but they are like weekend clinics, so the women pay for lodging, etc. (My first impression was discrimination, too.)

I, too, would prefer a mentor. But you are asking a lot of someone if you don't know him/her. Hell, I'd even pay a reasonable fee for someone to take me hunting and walk me through the process of field dressing, field butchering, tagging/calling in, etc., if I knew the person knew what he/she was doing. But I won't pay thousands of dollars to go on some ranch hunt for 3 days, or similar commercial stuff.

BTC

Nov 25, 2012
    Count me in as someone else interested in finding a mentor to help me learn the ropes, as someone who didn't hunt as a kid. Even just someone letting me tag along would really be invaluable. I'm interested in both deer and small game, but I'll probably start with small game for myself when I think I'm ready.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm more than willing to help mentor anyone who is interested. If we hit it off and start a friendship where I trust you enough, you may eventually be invited to my farm to hunt.

As far as general planning, scouting, stands, equipment (archery, rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader), etc. How to process the animal, even make leather if you so desire, and finally butchering (grinding, sausage, bologna, jerky), canning, and fool-proof recipes, I've got a bunch.

Send me a PM and we can set some time aside. This is a dying tradition and I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can. I have extensive experience whitetail hunting, as well as some small game like rabbit and squirrel. I am not an experienced waterfowler though.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Finding a hunting mentor is a good idea. A lot of people will just go out in the woods without knowing what they are doing. Good luck finding a mentor. There should be plenty here that are willing to help.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    my questions/needs are pretty straight forward. Where to hunt (legally of course), general (basic) hunting tips, how to field gut the deer, how to tag it in the field, how best to get it to the vehicle, best way to transport (I don't own a truck (yet)) where to take it to be processed. Easy stuff.

That's the status for me, too. I took the safety class, and it was good; but it does not teach you what you need to know actually to go hunting on your own.

Though I'd be happy to pay someone to teach me the ropes--I'm used to paying for information--like another poster, I, too, am not interested in paying big money for a commercial hunt. Buying venison over the Internet would be cheaper and, overall, less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom