Looking for a Goose Hunting Guide- Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    My uncle and I were looking to hire a guide to go hunt some geese here in the next few weeks. I'm a rather inexperienced hunter of waterfowl, but would really like to give it a try (my dad is a life-long decoy collector).

Everyone that I've spoken to about this is telling me that most of the goose hunting in MD is unfortunately on private land, and I'm assuming that guides already have arrangements with farms etc to use their land.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good goose guide on the eastern or western shores? Obviously, an MDS member would be preferred, so if you're a great goose hunter and wouldn't mind some company, PM me!

Any other tips you could offer would be great as well...thanks for the information everyone!

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    May want to consider somebody who does hunts in the resident population zone. Daily limit of 5 vs limit of 2 for the rest of the state. If you go with the migratory zone you may want to look for somebody who offers other bird/small game hunting as well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    May want to consider somebody who does hunts in the resident population zone. Daily limit of 5 vs limit of 2 for the rest of the state. If you go with the migratory zone you may want to look for somebody who offers other bird/small game hunting as well.

Where is there a decoder ring for the different zones?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Where is there a decoder ring for the different zones?

Atlantic Population Canada Geese

Season Dates: Nov. 22 - Nov. 28
    Dec. 16 - Feb. 4
    Daily Bag Limit: 2 per day
    Hunt Area: Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Harford, Howard, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, St. Mary’s, Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties; and that portion of Carroll County east of Route 31 to the intersection of Route 97, and east of Route 97 to the Pennsylvania line; and that portion of Prince George’s County east of Route 3 and Route 301; and that portion of Charles County east of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

Resident Population Canada Geese (Regular Season)

Dec. 16 - Mar. 10
    Daily Bag Limit: 5 per day
    Hunt Area: Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, Montgomery, and Washington Counties; and that portion of Carroll County west of Route 31 to the intersection of Route 97, and west of Route 97 to the Pennsylvania line; and that portion of Prince George’s County west of Route 3 and Route 301; and that portion of Charles County west of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Atlantic Population Canada Geese

Dec. 16 - Feb. 4
    Daily Bag Limit: 2 per day
    Hunt Area: Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Harford, Howard, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, St. Mary’s, Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties; and that portion of Carroll County east of Route 31 to the intersection of Route 97, and east of Route 97 to the Pennsylvania line; and that portion of Prince George’s County east of Route 3 and Route 301; and that portion of Charles County east of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

Resident Population Canada Geese (Regular Season)

Dec. 16 - Mar. 10
    Daily Bag Limit: 5 per day
    Hunt Area: Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, Montgomery, and Washington Counties; and that portion of Carroll County west of Route 31 to the intersection of Route 97, and west of Route 97 to the Pennsylvania line; and that portion of Prince George’s County west of Route 3 and Route 301; and that portion of Charles County west of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

So it looks like I have to go west for resident, and east for migratory? And good call on the other waterfowl idea when hunting migratory!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom