• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've spent disturbing money taking dying oaks down that are within striking range of my house. All since ~2012 when we had our last major drought. From what I've heard a lot of the death is related to trees that were weakened from that and became succesptible to insects and oak wilt.
    I am just glad the closest tree is a tulip poplar that is extremely healthy. It’s five feet at the base and 30 feet from the house…

Even if the tree doesn’t smash the house flat, if it goes the other way the root ball might just knock the foundation down on that side of the house. Arborist says it is extremely healthy. We have it checked every year. Just had a dead black gum taken down within striking distance that was big, but not that big. Giant ash very close a few years ago.

I am determined my next house is not going to have any sizable trees within striking distance.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I am just glad the closest tree is a tulip poplar that is extremely healthy. It’s five feet at the base and 30 feet from the house…

Even if the tree doesn’t smash the house flat, if it goes the other way the root ball might just knock the foundation down on that side of the house. Arborist says it is extremely healthy. We have it checked every year. Just had a dead black gum taken down within striking distance that was big, but not that big. Giant ash very close a few years ago.

I am determined my next house is not going to have any sizable trees within striking distance.
    I have at least 30 in kill distance to me of varying size most are at the 70+ foot mark. And there are always more lined up behind other trees that like to sneak out and say what's up when they go down. All my close calls were like that "WHERE THE !@%!@ did that come from?" and I'm pretty thorough about the trees considering I spend 6 months of the year climbing them with weapons.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    I have noticed the past few years some of mine are getting defoliated on outer or top branches. Leaves die and branches dry and brittle. I am thinking once leaves are destroyed then no photosynthesis so it all dies.
    That’s how it starts... 3-4 seasons amd it’s done.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Boothdoc Oakenseed? I've tried to propagate oaks myself but they always die once they get about 5 inches high. Any tips would be appreciated. I like to plant trees. We bought a great American elm that was cloned from the few surviving trees. It tossed lots of little ones and most survived. I've probably transplanted more than a dozen. No luck with oaks.
    V

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    20 years ago I bought a house on an acre lot, most of the lot was heavily wooded with oaks. Have always had to have a few taken down each year but the pace has picked up substantially the last couple years. My tree guy says oaks have been hard hit by a blight or disease and he is staying very busy taking them down.
    I budget about 3 grand a year for him to drop any that die, he gives me a pretty good price as I just have him leave the logs and I process them for firewood for the wood stove. Couple years go I had him take down 10 trees at one time to move the wood line back from the house some, I'm getting old and it took me a year to process all that wood.

IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I favor the White Oak by far. There is nothing like a stand of White Oaks. I also like American Chestnut if you can ever see them anymore. As posted before the blight got most of them. The trees that I don't particularly care for are Sweet Gum and Poplar.
    I also tend to favor hickory trees when I see them around.
    There is a disease on some of the red oaks that I see around here. It seems to start around the ends of branches and progresses from there. I don't like it because I can't do much in the way of preventing that. I also see the pines getting killed off by the pine beetle.
    To sum it up I like the original virgin timber that used to grow all along the east coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom