Littlestown Fish & Game Sporting Clays - Anybody Going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Plan is to head up to Littlestown Fish & Game this Saturday morning, June 25th, to shoot the sporting clays course up there. My 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter are tagging along. My son will most likely shoot the course with me. My dad might come along to watch. Was just wondering if anybody else is going or might be interested in going. Have not shot sporting clays in 2 years now, so this should be completely miserable.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    i always have problems with the rabbits .
    Is that the place that rolls the rabbits down the hill into the creek? I shot a 3 bird thing there a few years ago.
    Good cheeseburgers!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Is that the place that rolls the rabbits down the hill into the creek? I shot a 3 bird thing there a few years ago.
    Good cheeseburgers!
    I think you are thinking of Hopewell. Littlestown has a gravity rabbit, but nothing goes into the creek/pond

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    the rabbits bounce along , hopping as they go . always have problems with them .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    For those of you who haven't shot at Littlestown in the last year, the Gentleman that ran it for years passed away last summer. The Father/Son combo that has taken over Sporting are doing a fantastic job and have expanded the course.

BTW - targets costs have increased slightly now $12/50 targets.

I'm looking forward to Saturday as I haven't been able to shoot the last three times and Rory and Ryan were telling me last night at Trap that several of the stations have been reset.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am still planning to attend. Hoping to get there at 9:00. My dad, my 13 year old, and my 9 year old will also be tagging along. Only my son and I will be shooting though. My dad is still recovering from bruised ribs.

Hope to run into you guys while we are there. I'm also hoping to look the place over, get a sense for the drive time, and then decide on membership.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I am still planning to attend. Hoping to get there at 9:00. My dad, my 13 year old, and my 9 year old will also be tagging along. Only my son and I will be shooting though. My dad is still recovering from bruised ribs.

Hope to run into you guys while we are there. I'm also hoping to look the place over, get a sense for the drive time, and then decide on membership.

Fabs,

I'll also be there around 9 a.m. I would be more than happy to take you and your crew around to shoot clays and show you the amenities. We will go past all the ranges and pond while shooting the Clays course. The Clays course goes around the outer limits of the club grounds.

P.S. You'll have a hard time convincing me it's too far from any where in Carroll County, as I've been making the trip from Severna Park since last April (2021)

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Bruh.... Those target prices are the cheapest I've seen. What is that...
    $24/100 targets, I think Hopewell is $28 for 100 and that is the cheapest place I shoot.

My squad always goes for 100, I'd do 50 at Hopewell since it's so close and doesn't kill a lot of drive time to do quick round

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Hopewell is now $16/50 now that they have all automatic traps and you don't need a trapper--no tips. Try Thursday night 5 stand --short walk--large variety of targets--$8/25 $16/50 squads cycle thru quickly

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Big thank you to Possumman and Mack C-85 for shooting with me today and giving me a tour of the place. My son, daughter, and I had a great time this morning at Littlestown.
    Your welcome!!!

.....and a shout out to Rory and Ryan, our target setters, on a couple of new presentations that were really fun. The "Bouncing Bunnies" (simo pairs thrown over a mound of dirt launching ramp) and "Fur and Feather" (crossing gravity rabbit to an outgoing bird) stands were especially fun.

Sporting Clays available on the Second and Fourth Saturdays from 0900 - 1300. $12/50 targets.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Big thank you to Possumman and Mack C-85 for shooting with me today and giving me a tour of the place. My son, daughter, and I had a great time this morning at Littlestown.
    How’s you shoot after the long hiatus?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    How’s you shoot after the long hiatus?
    6 guys on the squad, including my son who is just getting started with it. Was shocked that my son actually went the entire 50 targets. He broke all of 5 though. After lunch today, I mentioned to my wife that it sucked that he was getting the hang of it just as we were ending, but he had a huge smile on his face when he broke three on the last station. Only one person on the squad of 6 beat me. Still disappointing though. I shot 32/50 and I am used to shooting in the high 30's on a bad day and usually in the low to mid 40s. I realized that dark sun glasses are no longer working for me in the woods. I'm about to order a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses with low light lenses to see if that will help things. Also commented to my wife that the thing I hate the most about getting old is the loss of my vision. Cannot see fine detail up close without a lot of light and reading glasses. I can see doves, ducks, and geese a mile away just fine when the sun is up. Night vision has gone to crap along with seeing anything up close.

I missed a pair that I never should have missed, and it is still bugging me today because of my lack of concentration on them. Lots of challenging targets though.

My son had fun, my daughter had fun, and I had fun. Was soaked in sweat though by the end of it and we started shooting a little after 9:00 in the morning. Can only imagine what it will be like in July and August. Only thing I regret about yesterday is not taking any pics. I should have been taking pics of my son shooting and my daughter picking up empties, but I was so focused on helping my son that I never even thought about it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    6 guys on the squad, including my son who is just getting started with it. Was shocked that my son actually went the entire 50 targets. He broke all of 5 though. After lunch today, I mentioned to my wife that it sucked that he was getting the hang of it just as we were ending, but he had a huge smile on his face when he broke three on the last station. Only one person on the squad of 6 beat me. Still disappointing though. I shot 32/50 and I am used to shooting in the high 30's on a bad day and usually in the low to mid 40s. I realized that dark sun glasses are no longer working for me in the woods. I'm about to order a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses with low light lenses to see if that will help things. Also commented to my wife that the thing I hate the most about getting old is the loss of my vision. Cannot see fine detail up close without a lot of light and reading glasses. I can see doves, ducks, and geese a mile away just fine when the sun is up. Night vision has gone to crap along with seeing anything up close.

I missed a pair that I never should have missed, and it is still bugging me today because of my lack of concentration on them. Lots of challenging targets though.

My son had fun, my daughter had fun, and I had fun. Was soaked in sweat though by the end of it and we started shooting a little after 9:00 in the morning. Can only imagine what it will be like in July and August. Only thing I regret about yesterday is not taking any pics. I should have been taking pics of my son shooting and my daughter picking up empties, but I was so focused on helping my son that I never even thought about it.
    That sounds like a great day. You really are a great Dad, taking your kids with you to a lot of different things and they have a blast. Their knowledge will be vast, especially in seemingly simple skills that have been lost like cutting up a tree. I’m sorry you missed the pictures. I almost always forget pictures.

I share your pain with vision. I wear glasses for distance…and have to take my glasses off to see close. Sights aren’t bad…yet.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Only one person on the squad of 6 beat me

Guilty

Me, too.

I realized that dark sun glasses are no longer working for me in the woods.

This has been an issue for me too. Get them dark enough to be effective in the open sunny stations, then they are too dark in the woods. Light enough for the woods and your blinded on the open shots.

....my son who is just getting started with it. Was shocked that my son actually went the entire 50 targets. He broke all of 5 though. After lunch today, I mentioned to my wife that it sucked that he was getting the hang of it just as we were ending, but he had a huge smile on his face when he broke three on the last station.

He did great!

BTW - I'm a NRA Shotgun and NSCA Level I Instructor and I'd love to work with your son (...kids) with their shotgunning skills. Not looking to charge, just like to work with kids and seeing those huge smiles.......

P.S. I will make him (them) the same offer I make all the youngsters I work with....

"Don't worry about getting home if you beat Dad. I'll see to it you get home....."

BTW - while I have never actually had to take anyone home after they out shot a Parent. I did come close one time when a 19 year old soldier home on leave, who had never shot trap before, beat his MOM on his second round.

Was soaked in sweat though by the end of it and we started shooting a little after 9:00 in the morning.

It 'twas a tad bit warm!!!

My son had fun, my daughter had fun, and I had fun.

Then it was a successful day!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom