• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    I need to get some trimming done and was thinking about a Little Crow Gunworks trimmer. I was hoping to use it in a drill press but wondered what speed to set the press. Anyone use the WFT? and can I use it in a drill press?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes and I would start around 400 to 600 rpm and go up from there.
    Most electric trimmers that I have seen operate are slow speed.

I just watched a video of it working and I would bump up the speeds to 800 to 1000 rpm

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    It looks like a nice trimmer from what I've seen on youtube . I Think I am going to get one in .308 and give it a go.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have one in 308 & 223. I love it, only problem I had was fgmm 7.62x51 brass was cutting short after I had set the trimmer using ppu 308 win brass. Weird stuff.

I keep mine in a cordless drill and it worked great other than the one unresolved issue.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I run mine in a bench top drill press at medium speed.

I have an airchuck handy to blow out the chips as needed. Drill press is perfectly centered and makes awesome 300BLK brass.

Doc

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I use my WFT in a Craftsman table top drill press at it's higher speed. Seems to work just fine. Every time.

kingstrider

Dec 10, 2011
    I have several and they work great in a drill press at low speeds. Just be sure to stop on occasion, blow the chips out and wipe out the bearing to prevent scratching your brass.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have both .308 and .223 WFT.

I use then on a Craftsman table-top drill press on SLOW speed.

If you have any wobble in the chuck, try removing the chuck (should be a press-on fit) and use the downward motion of the spindle to re-seat the chuck to ensure straightness.

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    I just got mine last week and trimmed 200 .50 BMG cases with it in short order. I researched this trimmer for quite a while before purchase. The only problem I heard about it was the tedious set up. It took me all of about three minutes to set the length. I'm extremely satisfied with the quality of the tool, it's ability to repeat case after case at exactly the same length and the speed that you can do it. I'm not sure I'd wanna run it in a drill press...I use a 1/2 inch electric drill at half throttle. The speed doesn't seem to make a difference in anything other than how fast you can feed the case in. Some of my cases lost a sixteenth of an inch. I would not hesitate to purchase the smaller version to trim the rest of my smaller cases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember, this type of trimmer (also the Giraud) indexes off the case shoulder.

So you need to resize your cases first. And for accurate trim lengths, you should full length resize to set the shoulder bump to be consistent.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is always recommended, as the expander plug being pulled through the next can cause the case to lengthen.

But with the WFT/Giraud type, is it mandatory. As you are not indexing the full case length, but just the distance from the shoulder to the case mouth.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    It is always recommended, as the expander plug being pulled through the next can cause the case to lengthen.

But with the WFT/Giraud type, is it mandatory. As you are not indexing the full case length, but just the distance from the shoulder to the case mouth.

It is not always recommended to keep the expander plug(ball) in your die though. Many remove it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I thought you should always re-size first...But I am still learning.

I've always resized cases before trimming.

Running the case through the sizer, not only 'squeezes' the case back to smaller dimensions (diameter), it makes the case(s) longer. (The brass has to go 'somewhere' when it's sized.)

Once I have a quantity of brass sized, I tumble the lube off, then do the trimming task.

I do believe you'll like the Little Crow WFT. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not always recommended to keep the expander plug(ball) in your die though. Many remove it.

I agree with a bushing die where you can adjust the neck sizing amount.

But with most standard dies, removing the expanding ball and lead to VERY small case mouths, and possibly crushing the case when seating the bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom