• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    I used blue customworks today at Frederick GS. Easy to deal with and professional engraving. Like everyone before me stated he's good to go for this service. My buddy had his done at his shop so that is an option too.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I had 5 done at RS they did a great job. 35$ for the first 10$ each addition. They did great a job at a very reasonable cost.

However, they did not log them in to their books. So, the way I understand this MD BS, they have to be registered with MSP online with a 77R.

woobie

Mar 20, 2019
    I believe that an FFL is required to enter the serialization in their books, per the ATF. A 77R is not required in this case.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I believe that an FFL is required to enter the serialization in their books, per the ATF. A 77R is not required in this case.
    This was my understanding as well. I specifically asked and was told they do not enter it in so I would have to do a 77R with MSP. Had it been entered I believe I wouldn't have had to register with the MSP.

I did one 77R on one of the five I had serialized. I did receive the not disapproved back, so I assume I'm in compliance with the BS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another satisfied customer of Blue Customworks. Great work by Alejandro. Box up you 80% stuff and head to the HoCo show on 2/5, he does it at the show while you wait.

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    Why does it have to be a FFL? Why can’t an individual purchase a punch set and do it themselves? Inquiring minds…. Frugal thoughts!

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I had 5 done at RS they did a great job. 35$ for the first 10$ each addition. They did great a job at a very reasonable cost.

However, they did not log them in to their books. So, the way I understand this MD BS, they have to be registered with MSP online with a 77R.
    Well that sucks. I would not have used them then. They did not mention a thing about it.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    Why does it have to be a FFL? Why can’t an individual purchase a punch set and do it themselves? Inquiring minds…. Frugal thoughts!
    Hi @squirrelly1
    Good question. If you check out MSP's site on PMFs and scroll to the bottom, you will see this quote:

"New Federal Regulations take effect on August 24, 2022. On or after August 24, 2022, unmarked firearms presented to an FFL for marking services will be required to be marked in accordance with the new federal regulations."

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ngDivision/Firearms/Untraceable-Firearms.aspx

If you need your PMFs serialized, I'll be happy to schedule an appointment for you, as well as answer any additional questions you may have.

Thanks,

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Well that sucks. I would not have used them then. They did not mention a thing about it.
    Could not beat the cost especially if you have more than one. The 5 cost $75. I did the 77R with MSP and got not disapproved on all of them. So other than it being total BS in the first place it wasn't that hard to do

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So its traceable- as if that will prevent anything.
    It's complete crap. Serialization does not one thing to prevent crime nor promote firearms safety. It only provides authorities an address to go look for guns once they become illegal.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Can somebody explain this 77R thing? I had mine engraved way past Augest, I dropped it off and picked up in a few days. I assumed I am done now, as by ATF rules they had to put it in their bound book. Do I need to call and check? if they did it the ATF way but did not put it into a bound book - does that mean they violated the ATF ruling? Will it be half ATF way now and I need to get 77R?

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I try to keep up with this stuff, but to be honest, it's not my thing. I'm more into the Cowboy Guns.

I was at the range last weekend and ran into a buddy who asked if I knew where to get P80's serialized and I pulled some of the information from this thread, but he also asked about something I didn't know about. Apparently, for a Sig style build (assuming I am using the correct terminology there) what I would have called the trigger group (he called it a FCU) is the serialized item and he got some 80% FCU's from an alternate supplier that were not serialized. (I think he said JSD or something like that, but my hearing is not so good :rolleyes: )

Are those also covered by the serialization requirement of this law?

Thanks in advance for any info.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I try to keep up with this stuff, but to be honest, it's not my thing. I'm more into the Cowboy Guns.

I was at the range last weekend and ran into a buddy who asked if I knew where to get P80's serialized and I pulled some of the information from this thread, but he also asked about something I didn't know about. Apparently, for a Sig style build (assuming I am using the correct terminology there) what I would have called the trigger group (he called it a FCU) is the serialized item and he got some 80% FCU's from an alternate supplier that were not serialized. (I think he said JSD or something like that, but my hearing is not so good :rolleyes: )

Are those also covered by the serialization requirement of this law?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    I had that thing serialized. Have not even started the build yet.

Attachments

• MUP-1-1__92055.jpg
      MUP-1-1__92055.jpg
      10.3 KB · Views: 61

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    I had that thing serialized. Have not even started the build yet.

Thanks! That's the thing he showed me a picture of so I will let him know. This is such a Charlie Foxtrot, glad I managed to stay out of it, but I sure feel bad for the folks that took the oportunity to enjoy their freedom while they could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom