• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I don’t have any complete 80%. As far as I was aware you only had to serialize if you have an ffl and selling. I know the rules are changing but it’s still just if you were to sell or trade or transfer the frame/receiver or complete gun. Since I live in WV and face to face is good to go this has little impact especially since the burden of proof is on the fed.

Additionally I wonder how the wv law prohibiting local and state LEO from helping enforce fed gun laws plays into this.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    1660305916732.png

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Duffys is doing it per MD law. It isn't right or wrong. They just refuse to comply with the new Federal rule that goes into effect next month. It doesn't affect you at all unless you are planning to sell your homemade firearms.
    Yes it does
    (2) On or after March 1, 2023, a person may not possess a firearm unless:(i) the firearm is required by federal law to be, and has been, imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or federally licensed firearms importer with a serial number in compliance with all federal laws and regulations applicable to the manufacture and import of firearms; or

Penalty
    (2) A person who violates subsection (b) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

To clarify section a is transferring an unmarked receiver and its a felony, Section B is possession of one after March 2023, its a 2 year misdemeanor. edited out wrong info
    law here

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yes it does
    (2) On or after March 1, 2023, a person may not possess a firearm unless:(i) the firearm is required by federal law to be, and has been, imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or federally licensed firearms importer with a serial number in compliance with all federal laws and regulations applicable to the manufacture and import of firearms; or

Penalty
    (2) A person who violates subsection (b) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

To clarify section a is transferring an unmarked receiver and its a felony, Section B is possession of one after March 2023, its a 2 year misdemeanor. So a conviction on possession of an unmarked is a disqualifying charge, meaning no more guns.
    law here

Not disqualifying for mere possession. Transfer, yes, but just having them no.

From MSI:

Failure to comply with these requirements applicable to possession is punishable by up to 2 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000, per firearm. Conviction of this possession offense does not result in a lifetime firearms disqualification under federal or state law.

The original bills would have made conviction of possession a prohibitive offense, as it was for up to three years imprisonment. The law as enacted is up to two. More than two would be prohibitive.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The original bills would have made conviction of possession a prohibitive offense, as it was for up to three years imprisonment. The law as enacted is up to two. More than two would be prohibitive.
    Ok I was confused. Federal law states anything over 1 year there is an exception for common law crimes that have no max sentence under maryland law. Then I just read federal law says the up to 2 years is not if its classified as a misdemeanor. So I see how I was wrong, fed law greater than 1 year, except if its a misdemeanor then its over 2 years.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Reminder this Saturday and Sunday from 10-3 you can get your ATF compliant engraving completed at the AGC in the trap room.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    No but being a badge holder would get you a discount, MD 10th Calvary has a club meeting starting at noon on Saturday membership is open. See post 435 for the flyer and additional information about joining the AGC.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    No but being a badge holder would get you a discount, MD 10th Calvary has a club meeting starting at noon on Saturday membership is open. See post 435 for the flyer and additional information about joining the AGC.
    I'm already a BRGC member, plus an MSI member, so I could get an AGC badge. I just haven't bothered because BRGC's range is adequate for what I need. But if I can bring stuff up for engraving this weekend w/o the AGC range badge, that's handy.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I'm already a BRGC member, plus an MSI member, so I could get an AGC badge. I just haven't bothered because BRGC's range is adequate for what I need. But if I can bring stuff up for engraving this weekend w/o the AGC range badge, that's handy.
    You are also welcome to come early on Saturday and shoot 5 stand with Old Post from 9-12 or public trap from 12-4 on both Saturday and Sunday. Make it an afternoon check out what the AGC has to offer.

Arlington Rifle and Pistol club also hosts shooting events open to prospective members. Prospective members must attend 3 events or be part of another AGC club.

www.ArlingtonRPC.com

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes it does

No, it doesn't. Federal law doesn't require personally made firearms to be marked unless you are selling them. That is they key thing you are missing. My PMFs are not and will not be engraved to ATF standards and there is nothing illegal about that unless I sell them without getting them marked.

Ssblugsr

Feb 25, 2019
    So I recently talked to an FFL about serializing a P80 for me and they said to wait until the FEDERAL law comes out. Cause it will determine how it needs to be marked. Does that sound right?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    No, it doesn't. Federal law doesn't require personally made firearms to be marked unless you are selling them. That is they key thing you are missing. My PMFs are not and will not be engraved to ATF standards and there is nothing illegal about that unless I sell them without getting them marked.

Except that Maryland law requires every unserialized firearm (made after GCA was signed) in the state to be marked by 3/1/23. For a FFL to do so, if they accept to work on any PMF, they must serialize it in the manner the federal rule describes.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So I recently talked to an FFL about serializing a P80 for me and they said to wait until the FEDERAL law comes out. Cause it will determine how it needs to be marked. Does that sound right?

It’s out, but starting 8/24, gunsmiths can mark. Right now only FFLs who are importers and manufacturers can.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Except that Maryland law requires every unserialized firearm (made after GCA was signed) in the state to be marked by 3/1/23. For a FFL to do so, if they accept to work on any PMF, they must serialize it in the manner the federal rule describes.
    Yes, but why would you need a FFL to work on a gun that you built? If you built it you should be able to work on it yourself.

Ssblugsr

Feb 25, 2019
    It’s out, but starting 8/24, gunsmiths can mark. Right now only FFLs who are importers and manufacturers can.
    so do you think there is any benefit in waiting til the 8/24? I’m trying to get a P80 serialized so I can carry it, and not have to worry about any unforeseen issues with police.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    so do you think there is any benefit in waiting til the 8/24? I’m trying to get a P80 serialized so I can carry it, and not have to worry about any unforeseen issues with police.
    Come to the AGC tomorrow you can get it done while you wait. 10-3 in the trap room.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yes, but why would you need a FFL to work on a gun that you built? If you built it you should be able to work on it yourself.
    Because Maryland law says you have to. The quote I put above is state law, not fed.

Mofiki

Dec 16, 2012
    I dont think they recoginize a serial engraved in plastic. This is effectively a 3d printed frame ban.
    On the 29th day the firearm was destroyed and this is a new one that I have 30 days to either destroy or bring into compliance

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom